Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #41
butterflygirl71
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How do you prep food ahead of time before you have the baby?

So, how do you all fit this stuff in the freezers, utilizing space the most efficiently? What kind of containers do you use?

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #42
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirl71
So, how do you all fit this stuff in the freezers, utilizing space the most efficiently? What kind of containers do you use?
I use glass Pyrex containers and just stack it as best I can. Our freezer is a drawer on the bottom of our fridge and has a pill out drawer in it so we put most frozen meals in that part.

Mama to Myra (Jan '13), FPIES
callejon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #43
kanga1622
Registered Users

I use mostly canning jars so I can put things in nice rows. I also have a FoodSaver which works great for putting things in for longer term storage (and I can seal wide mouth jars with it). I do have a separate upright freezer so that makes a huge difference. Our little side by side freezer in the kitchen just doesn't hold much.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #44
butterflygirl71
Registered Users
seller
seller

Kanga, I read a while back you aren't supposed to freeze those glass jars. Hmm, did you ever have any crack on you?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #45
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had mason jars crack...real bummer.

I suggest, "Don't Panic: Dinner's in the Freezer," and "Don't Panic: More Dinners in the Freezer." I chose meals that didn't have to be cooked twice. I hate that. I had 6 weeks of meal ready in a few nights. Utilized freezer bags, mostly. The Cheesy Chicken Bundles are now a family favorite, but I use Monterey Jack/Sharp Cheddar mix.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
kanga1622
Registered Users

The only time I've had canning jars crack was when it went directly from freezer to microwave (DH had the bright idea). Otherwise it does great as long as I cool anything cooked by putting into the fridge overnight and then moving to the freezer the next day. I always thaw in the fridge overnight before I need anything out of the freezer so I never have a problem.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #47
gghmommy
Registered Users

I'm trying a lot of these recipes this time

http://melissafallistestkitchen.blog...ker-meals.html

hubby also got a deer over the holidays, so that will be nice to have on hand. We have a relatively cheap small chest freezer that with our last was full of breast milk- seriously I couldn't nurse because of her prematurity, but I was a champion pumper, so this time around I'm planning on feeding the baby the old fashioned way and feeding the non-babies with the freezer!! Not sure how well you know your neighbors, but for instance we have a widow neighbor who'd probably let us store some things in her extra freezer (I'm thinking meat since you wouldn't need access to it as often). She'd also love a visit from baby if we needed anything! good luck
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #48
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Update from original post:

I just did my freezer inventory and I now have 54 meals or partial meals in the freezer!

I think I may have gone a bit overboard in my panic....Ha!
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote