Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #61
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Info on water births, please?

okay.. new question.. but I like this thread

since my last labor turned into an emergency csection, I never got to the pushing. Reading up on things in my Bradley book and reading how the pushing can last several hours.

If you're doing a waterbirth, do they make you get out when the pushing stage begins? Or when you start crowning... because I can't imagine walking at the crowning, but I don't know how I feel about several pushing hours in a bed either.

(yes, my hospital wants you out before the baby comes out - so staying in isn't an option.. but in general.. for those of you who have had hospitals like that, what stage do they pull you out? I will ask my own hospital, but wondering in general what is 'normal')

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #62
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I push in water.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #63
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is my third birth but 1st planned waterbirth. I just didn't see myself giving birth in the water with the other 2. 1st was hospital birth and they wouldn't allow it anyway, but he came so fast that it wouldn't have mattered. 2nd was a dry homebirth. DH filled our Jacuzzi bathtub just in case I wanted to get in it, but baby came so fast that it didn't even cross my mind, and again, I didn't envision myself birthing in water anyway.

This baby, different story - planning a water birth with the big inflatable tub and all. My only real concern is getting it filled in time, so we are going to do a practice run to see how long it takes and will likely leave it up/inflated without water until labor starts. I am soooooo looking forward to this birth! My last 2 were awesome, and easy, so the only way I can see to improve on it is try the water.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #64
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
okay.. new question.. but I like this thread

since my last labor turned into an emergency csection, I never got to the pushing. Reading up on things in my Bradley book and reading how the pushing can last several hours.

If you're doing a waterbirth, do they make you get out when the pushing stage begins? Or when you start crowning... because I can't imagine walking at the crowning, but I don't know how I feel about several pushing hours in a bed either.

(yes, my hospital wants you out before the baby comes out - so staying in isn't an option.. but in general.. for those of you who have had hospitals like that, what stage do they pull you out? I will ask my own hospital, but wondering in general what is 'normal')
I think they will want you out when you get to 10 cm. But I am not sure. They forced me out of the tub at pushing stage, but they had not checked me in an hour and by the time they came, my baby was crowning, which took, like 2 contrax. So I did have to waddle with my baby's head coming out. Maybe if they'd known I was complete they'd have had me move before then, I am not completely sure....
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #65
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I think they will want you out when you get to 10 cm. But I am not sure. They forced me out of the tub at pushing stage, but they had not checked me in an hour and by the time they came, my baby was crowning, which took, like 2 contrax. So I did have to waddle with my baby's head coming out. Maybe if they'd known I was complete they'd have had me move before then, I am not completely sure....
this is what I was assuming from what you said previously.

erg.. that's annoying :P

I'm sure that's likely the way it is going to be just from everything I've read. Definitely better than no tub at all, I think.

thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #66
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm excited to have the option to labor in water this time. I'm a 2nd time VBAC mom and am trying to decide between two hospitals. One has birth tubs (big inflatable ones) in 3 of the rooms, but they currently aren't allow VBACs to deliver in the tubs. The CNMs are petitioning the hospital board to allow VBACs to waterbirth though. They currently won't let VBACs even labor in water. My other option is a great OBGYN group that is super pro-VBAC and natural birth. They deliver at a different hospital that has wireless, waterproof fetal monitors and jacuzzi tubs in every room. They don't allow waterbirth though, just waterlabor. But they fully support VBACs to labor in water. So I'm leaning towards that hospital unless VBAC waterbirth is approved for the other one before July!
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #67
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I just have to say, this sort of "policy" annoys the heck out of me! What is so wrong with letting women labor and birth the way they want? There are inherent risks to EVERYTHING, I get it, but stupid hospital policies that prohibit women from laboring and birthing on their own terms are only detrimental. Good quality care cannot be replaced by "standing policy" though that seems to be the "standard" among medical institutions.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #68
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here's my birth video. Hope it comes thru.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #69
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post

Here's my birth video. Hope it comes thru.
That is beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. Everything appeared so peaceful and serene. That's how a birth should be
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #70
LaurenR
Registered Users
seller

I would ask your hospital what their policy is. The hospital where I delivered my son technically had a policy that you couldn't deliver in the water, but my midwife told me that you could if you didn't want to get out, so that's what I did. I declined to get out. It varies by hospital. My next birth was at a birthing center, and they encourage water births, so it wasn't an issue. I delivered my daughter in the water there.
LaurenR is offline   Reply With Quote