Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
savingmomof2boys's Avatar
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
If the diaper rash is not going away, and he's had diahrreah... the stomach virus might have triggered an over-growth of yeast and the diaper rash might be a yeast rash.

Treat with coconut oil mixed with a bit of tea tree oil, or call the pediatrician and ask for a prescription for Nystatin. Or, you can go to the store and by Lotramin and put on the booty.

As long as he's staying hydrated and the fever is staying down.. just let it run it's course. If he starts to be dehydrated, acting very lethargic or the fever spikes or won't go down with Tylenol/Ibuprofen, then take him to the ER.

You could call the pediatrician's office and speak to the nurse if it will make you feel better.

Above all else.. trust your mommy instincts. God gave them to you for a reason. If you think he needs to go in, take him in. *hugs* I have NEVER been wrong when my instincts told me to take my LO's to the doctor.

Good luck. Hope he feels better soon.



Oh, and I'd also get him on a pro-biotic immediately.
God bless!
Thank you for all the wonderful tips. You made me feel a little better about trying to ride this out.

I was wondering if it may be a yeast rash. I am going to get him on probiotics as soon as I can get to the store.

Advertisement

__________________
Ashley ~ wife to my best friend and mommy of 2 amazing little boys.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: To call the pedi or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by savingmomof2boys View Post
Thank you for all the wonderful tips. You made me feel a little better about trying to ride this out.

I was wondering if it may be a yeast rash. I am going to get him on probiotics as soon as I can get to the store.


Glad I made you feel better. I think it's just that we've recently had a bug in our house, so the pediatrician's advice is fresh in my mind.

Hope everything gets back to normal soon.

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,951
My Mood:
Re: To call the pedi or not

probiotics are the immune systems best friend. If you are not opposed to Rx butt paste I would call though. We have cleared up bloody butt within two days with an Rx and my LO has terribly finicky skin.
__________________
Don't drink the koolaid
meeshkasheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
savingmomof2boys's Avatar
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,474
I just wanted to update real quick. The diaper rash is looking much better. It is still there and bad but nothing compared to how it was the past few days. I think we are coming to the end of the diarrhea because he has only gone twice today and they were of normal consistency. We are still battling the fever. The fever goes away with tylenol but as soon as the tylenol wears off the fever is back to around 100-102*.

I have not been able to make it to the health food store for the probiotics but will be going there soon. I am continuing to push fluids and he has been drinking fine but hasn't been eating solids well.

I did call the pedi to see if we could get a rx for the butt cream but she didn't want to prescribe anything without him being seen. And she wanted me to take him to the er because she was concerned about dehydration. As of now I have no concern about dehydration, since he has been drinking good. So I did not take him to the er. If there is no improvement in the next day or if he gets worse then we will go. But as of now, I am more concerned with taking him there and having him pick up even more illness.
__________________
Ashley ~ wife to my best friend and mommy of 2 amazing little boys.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
l_Kimmie_l
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,584
My Mood:
Re: To call the pedi or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by savingmomof2boys View Post
I just wanted to update real quick. The diaper rash is looking much better. It is still there and bad but nothing compared to how it was the past few days. I think we are coming to the end of the diarrhea because he has only gone twice today and they were of normal consistency. We are still battling the fever. The fever goes away with tylenol but as soon as the tylenol wears off the fever is back to around 100-102*.

I have not been able to make it to the health food store for the probiotics but will be going there soon. I am continuing to push fluids and he has been drinking fine but hasn't been eating solids well.

I did call the pedi to see if we could get a rx for the butt cream but she didn't want to prescribe anything without him being seen. And she wanted me to take him to the er because she was concerned about dehydration. As of now I have no concern about dehydration, since he has been drinking good. So I did not take him to the er. If there is no improvement in the next day or if he gets worse then we will go. But as of now, I am more concerned with taking him there and having him pick up even more illness.
You can also do a tylanol/motrin rotation to be sure the fever stays away. I would go grab some Lotramin and corn starch powder to use on the rash to clear it up more. Glad the diarreah is gone. That is a good sign. I would also have skipped the ER. If he is drinking then there is no issue with hydration. You just needed butt cream. If the other 2 things do not work, then add hydrocortizone cream in the mix. I used to use a dash of hydro with Lotrimin to clear up a bloody/bad rash on my kids and it usually worked within a day.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
savingmomof2boys's Avatar
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post

You can also do a tylanol/motrin rotation to be sure the fever stays away. I would go grab some Lotramin and corn starch powder to use on the rash to clear it up more. Glad the diarreah is gone. That is a good sign. I would also have skipped the ER. If he is drinking then there is no issue with hydration. You just needed butt cream. If the other 2 things do not work, then add hydrocortizone cream in the mix. I used to use a dash of hydro with Lotrimin to clear up a bloody/bad rash on my kids and it usually worked within a day.
Good idea on the tylenol/ motrin rotation. I will start that. I do have lotrimin and corn starch so I will start using those. Since he hasn't had diarrhea today I am going to try and let him go without a diaper for a bit.
__________________
Ashley ~ wife to my best friend and mommy of 2 amazing little boys.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,873
My Mood:
Re: To call the pedi or not

So glad to hear he eems to be getting better. I also wanted to suggest washing his bum with a mild soap and water. We use Earth Mama Angel Baby foaming and if anyone wearing diapers gets a rash I wash them in the sink with soap and water to make sure it is very clean. Sometimes wipes are just not enough and I hate to cause them more pain with the abrasion of wiping kwim? Also another mama on here suggested baking soda sitz baths several times per day during a nasty bug that caused a sore bottom and it really seemed to help.
__________________
Just in case.
MDever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.