Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Preventing colds at daycare ??

Hello
So, my DS is a little over 2 years old. When he was 6 months old, he was diagnosed with RSV, and as a result, he still struggles with reactive airway at this point when he gets a respiratory virus (i.e., a cold). Therefore, Im always looking for ways to prevent colds or increase his immunity so that when he DOES inevitably get a cold, its not debilitating (which it can be for RSV exposed babies).

Seeing as how he is in daycare, he gets colds frequently due to exposure to so many LOs. The daycare staff is pretty good about hand hygiene and general cleaning procedures. DS is taking a daily probiotic, and this winter, we have started him on pediatric doses of Airborne (ped recommended) at the first signs of a cold. Despite this regimen, this has been a tough winter for him and he has gotten a LOT of colds (and had subsequent respiratory issues). Any recommendations for ways to further prevent colds/increase his immunity?? TIA mamas.

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Riverleaf1772
Registered Users
seller

Re: Preventing colds at daycare ??

My doctor recommends Vitamin D in addition to a multivitamin.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like your doing everything you can. Hope he makes it through cold season without too many colds!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverleaf1772 View Post
My doctor recommends Vitamin D in addition to a multivitamin.
Mine too. Especially in winter.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my DS was about 2ish he was having similar problems. We had him into the ENT and he recomended a sinus wash. It's worked wonders for keeping him cleared out and not getting sick. We had a hard time getting him to do it at first, but now he'll come to us and say someone was sick at school today I need to rinse out my sinuses.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the sinus wash, but what Probiotics are you using. If you're buying store brand or a non-refrigerated one, it's probably useless.

Hands Down the best I've found is Megafood.com Kid's N' Megaflora. You can open the capsule and put it in food. It has a wide range of probiotics...the best.

I also suggest Elderberry syrup and Vitamin C crystals or Chewables (I like Trader Joes...no artificial sweeteners.) I'd give 1,000 mg/daily when not sick and do up to 4,000 mg/day when sick. The crystals are sour, but a tiny bit goes a longggg way!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Black elderberry syrup, omega-3/ DHA and mega doses of vitamin C if he starts sniffling.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We are doing the high quality refrigerated probiotics and since we have added airborne when sick, have seen a HUGE difference. Also, we have been using barley green daily and that's worked wonders keeping him well. I love all the suggestions!

Also, might sound stupid, but what exactly is a sinus wash? I mean, I flush him out with a nasal saline spray and bulb syringe daily... Is this different?? Is this the neti pot thing?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by amb2j; 01-11-2013 at 02:42 PM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Neti pot yes for sinus although I. Have to use med siringe......saline3 rinse. I have some.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
LillyLee
Registered Users
seller

Another vote for elderberry syrup
LillyLee is offline   Reply With Quote