Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Mheagan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help - 3 1/2 yo waking up afraid/not wanting to sleep

I need some help / suggestions. My 3 1/2 yo DD has started waking up in the middle of the night "afraid of the dark". Two nights awo she was up from 10:30pm - 3 am and would NOT go to sleep. Last night she was up at midnight but I was able to get her back to sleep, 20 min later she cried out (but was asleep).

We have placed a small lamp in her room to try and help. I'm thinking maybe she is starting to have nightmares? Any thoughts are appreciated. She has always been a good sleeper and with a 6 mo who is still getting up 2x a night I am sleep deprived enough

Advertisement

Mheagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

A blue/green spectrum light is better. Yellow/red spectrum makes your brain release "wake up" hormones Have you tried talking to her about it before bed or in the morning?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help - 3 1/2 yo waking up afraid/not wanting to sleep

My son is a little over 3.5 (he'll be 4 in 3 months) and is doing the very same thing, except he is crying before we even turn the lights off and his 2 yo brother shares his room and can't sleep with the light on...it's been fun. Tonight I left their door open and turned on the hall light, both went to sleep quickly and quietly. I'm also think he is having nightmares. He slept with us one night and woke up shaking and moved over to lay on me and he is NOT the type that cuddles. Hope you get rest tonight mama!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mine is that age and has been having nightmares, though she doesn't understand what they are. Offer water? Snuggle her back? We have been very firm that it is dark out so still time to sleep so that helps. Could it have to do with nighttime potty issues?
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Erinne
Registered Users

It seems that it is the time for nightmares. We have one of those turtle nightlights that projects stars on the ceiling, which is great because it can just sit at the foot of dd's bed all night and she can easily turn it on when she wants it, but she still wakes us up when she wakes. Hope you figure it out and get some sleep soon!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Mheagan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Whew. She slept thru the night last night without a peep. She has been hesitant to talk about whats going on, I'm not sure she remembers. Although last night I asked her and she said something was "eating her" How scary!! poor punkin. It seems like this is the age for dreaming, glad i'm not alone... I was thinking about trying to get a couple of books at the library about the dark and dreams.

Thanks for the imput!
Mheagan is offline   Reply With Quote