Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Registered Users
1 year old and still wakes for bottle @ night-HELP!

I am posting this in this spot and another hoping to get some ideas. Our little guy just turned 1 year last month. Since birth he has never really slept thru the night always waking at least once or twice to eat even when we stopped nursing. A few nights here and there he will not wake-YAY! however it is not consistant. So we have come to the issue where he is fully on cups, no bottle during the day but at night he still wakes for his milk and sadly he seems legitimately hungry he will kill the 8-9oz bottle. He is tiny so for a while to help with weaning we were mixing half formula and half almond milk hoping to wean for formula and bottles at the same time. Well ya NO he will not take milk from the cup at all he just wont do it. So at night we tried the cup and listened to him scream scream scream finally caved and gave the bottle back. No we dont give him his bottle in bed we get up every night 2x and make the bottle feed him then he goes back to bed.
So my question is how can I wean off the night feedings and the bottle, without losing my sanity
Any ideas would be much appreciated

GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: 1 year old and still wakes for bottle @ night-HELP!

That's a tough one. The bottle isn't something we worry about, so I'll be no help there. We don't fight that one. Our 8 year old only had his until 9 months because he was just a super easy baby...he switched to straw cups and never looked back. Our 6.5 year old had his until he was 2 years old and we just switched to all cups one day and he didn't care. Our youngest is 16 months old and gets 4-5 (4 oz. each) bottles of formula a day (he has allergies, has had a lot of weight gain issues, and his diet is limited, so we just feel better knowing he's getting the extra nutrition). Everything else goes in a cup (usually a regular, open cup) and he doesn't have either constantly. He very much enjoys his bottles, especially his one first thing in the morning.

The thing is, there is NO difference in a bottle and a sippy cup when it comes to teeth. The problem is not what they are drinking from. It's what they are drinking. If kiddo is carrying around milk or juice (or anything but water) all day long, that's when you have issues. It can even happen with regular cups. We don't worry at all about when they switch from bottles to cups. We let our guys follow the lead on that one. Off my soapbox now, lol.

Will he take water at night? Our middle son was a big drinker at night. He wasn't hungry, just really thirsty. We just kept a couple bottles in his crib filled with water so he could drink what he wanted. It worked great for him. Our youngest not so much, lol. If he wakes during the night and wants milk (which only happens if he doesn't get a bedtime bottle), he means it! But the water might be worth a try, just to see.

Will he take less than 8-9 oz. and be happy with it? Maybe you could wean him down slowly and get him used to not eating so much during that time, in hopes that he would start sleeping longer? Does he have a bottle shortly before bed? How is he with solids? Maybe a filling snack 30 minutes or so before bed? Is he eating well during the day and drinking plenty then? I'm just spouting off ideas in hopes that something might help, so please excuse the randomness.
Extended rear-facing, non-circ'ing mom to 3 rotten boys - P (9), J (almost 8)), and E (2.5)

Last edited by SPJ&E; 01-09-2013 at 03:44 PM.
SPJ&E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: 1 year old and still wakes for bottle @ night-HELP!

Ok and no worries on the randomness I totally get it!
Yes we feed shortly before bed and typically he will have a bottle. he eats all day im shocked he is only in the 6th percentile for weight lol =( poor guy this to is why I keep the night feedings and haven't pushed to eliminate them.
His timing is consistant always has been for the last year with some variation of the times but usually every 4-5 hours ugh!
We pretty much only do water in the cups every now and again if I notice he isnt drinking much I will splash juice in it but he is content with his water. I worry about the bottle at night cause my step-son had bottle rotten teeth from mom giving him the bottle at night so this has always been an issue for me with my kids is to minimize the bottle around a year to get rid of it, my daughter simple this little guy not so much!
Thanks any ideas will be helpful I think I will try less milk and see if maybe he will be okay with that my fear is that he will wake up more cause he may really be hungry lol
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

Formerly Q......9
My Mood:
My baby was considered FTT so anytime he wants to eat we feed him. He is 13.5 months and he eats well drinks bottles at 12midnight, 4 am & 8 am. We are in bed for all of these feedings. I make the bottles before bed then store them in the insulated bag we got from the hospial & keep them on the cold window sill with coldpacks inside. That way there is no prep & it takes seconds to feed him & we are back to sleep in minutes.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote