Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #61
Sabriel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check in. Dec 31-Jan 13

Just saw this thread! We started back last week, but we got a little distracted with the rest of the world still on a holiday schedule. I was hoping to catch up this week, but all 5 of us caught a stomach bug. I am hoping that we will be able to do some school tomorrow!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #62
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I felt like Alexander today in the no good rotten very bad day book. This morning just went horribly. We didn't even finish, and we didn't have all that much to do to start with. We were all in good moods tonight though so I had them go back over their reading again and I'm feeling much better.

I did call the optometrist to see if we need to keep going for three more weeks or quit since Keegan`s issues were getting worse....he's supposed to call me back tomorrow.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #63
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've had a decent week. I ordered MBtP for DD1 since our science and LA weren't working for us. Finished ballet today, and starting school after littles are in bed. We recieved our magic tree house series yesterday. DD1 kept asking to read the next chapter, lol. We would've skipped dinner and finished the book if she'd had her way. Looking forward to the kids' magic tree house meetup later this month.

Rainandredemption- we are still working on k, but next year we plan to use MBtP and SOTW together because MBtP is social studies rich. I love history, but I think to some extent, kids don't really "get it" until they're a little older. My plan is to read and do the activities so when we come back to it in a few years it will (hopefully) click.

jen_batten-I love that book, but I wish I couldn't relate so easily. Crossing my fingers that things will get a little easier soon.

Eta MBtP is Moving Beyond the Page.

Last edited by Britches~in~Stitches; 01-09-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #64
croark
Registered Users
seller

I'm usually pretty good with abbreviations for diff curric but MBTP I'm unfamiliar with???

It's raining here today and I kid you not I use it as an excuse to get out of everything except for being lazy. Wash the clothes? But it's raining outside. Cook supper? But it's raining!! So, yeah, it's 2:30 and we still aren't through with school work. I mean, come on, it's raining outside! LOL But we don't have much left. Phonics with DD6 and Reading with DD10. That's it. And we even managed to fit in a science project with the Disgusting Science kit I bought back around Christmas time. We made blood and are currently waiting on it to coagulate/clot. Then watch it turn to a scab over the next few days.
I'm gonna finish chilling on the couch before we finish up for the day.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #65
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The girls are done for the day and DS hasn't even started. I've got a dc baby that refuses to nap and she's not content to sit on my lap while DS reads-she keeps trying to take the book. So, maybe later?

DD1 had a giant tantrum this morning saying how I was ruining her life. I hope this phase is short-lived.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #66
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
I'm usually pretty good with abbreviations for diff curric but MBTP I'm unfamiliar with???

Sorry Moving Beyond the Page.

2queens&1princenmyhouse- I have two sisters around that age. She'd probably think that no matter what. Pre-teen angst, gotta (not) love it.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #67
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well today went well, except I think I'm coming down with something so I called off school for the afternoon and took a nap. We will make it up on Friday.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #68
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello there everyone!

I try to at least follow this thread every few days although I don't read it all.

We are a relaxed homeschooling family of 6. We explore different things throughout the day. My DDs listen to audio books, read, draw and play together. We don't use a curriculum and most days we just do our own thing. I don't really have my DDs do assignments.

Today I went to the library w/ ODD. We were able to return some materials and I got out more items for the girls.

Monday we had an incredible experience w/ other homeschoolers. A fellow homeschooler who I have never met had a literature circle @ her house. She invited families to come over. She had emailed out a file of a page about Helen Keller that the children were supposed to read before coming and then they would discuss the page. They picked out difficult vocabulary and discussed Keller's reactions to different experiences. She paired them up to and had ear plugs to experience deafness. The coming weeks they will be reading Narnia (The Lion, The Witch and The Waredrobe, a book my DDs love) and discussing it together. Each child got a copy of the book which she kindly gave for free because she went to the book bank to get the copies. Afterwards families were welcomed to do a writing a portion. We were the only family that stayed.

We had a great time and ended up staying @ her house for almost 7 hours!! Most of that time we spent just chatting and our kids were playing. I am so impressed she is welcoming us into her home and provides all of this for free!! I love that each homeschooling family has their own gift and can share it w/ others.

While the older group of kids was doing the literature circle, I had a few of the younger children w/ me and we did a story time. I read them The Mitten by Jan Brett and they made a mitten and colored out the animals to place inside the mitten. They were interested in the story and enjoying the craft. We are certainly excited to return to her house next wk.

Tomorrow I am going to an educator program about female artists. These programs help educators teach their students about certain topics.

thirdtimemomma, I hope you are feeling better tomorrow. So glad you got to take the nap.

Kristin, sorry to hear your DD said you're ruining her life. I bet she was fine a short while after saying it. You know you are a great mom and she doesn't really think you are out to ruin her life. Hugs.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #69
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Ro55ana - that sounds so neat! I am curious about where in Philadelphia you are located.
thirdtime - hope you are feeling better soon. This is the time of year for sickies...spring needs to come quickly.

Iam happy to post that our lessons have been going well. I've even been working with the younger kids. DD1 has been sitting in on DS3's lessons, and sometimes answering before him. She's 2.5; he's 5.

I am quite sure all this will go down hill when DS1 starts back up with his reading assignments next week. He does pretty well with everything else…even his math lessons since we've started back.

I believe it's been brought up before…anyone have any experience with their child and speech therapy? DS3 is at the evaluation stage and I'm wondering what I/we can expect for the coming weeks/months.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #70
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ro55ana
That sounds so awesome! I've always wanted to start a Five in a Row coop just like that...maybe I will. I would love to be a granny who helps hsers someday... I have a friend who hs her grands. Love it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote