Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Mollysmomma's Avatar
Mollysmomma
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
How to wash prefolds & how to setup overnight dipe :-)

Hello!!! I have some questions for you expert ladies! Today was my first day with all cloth and we survived! Even DH!

How is the best way to wash my dirty prefolds? Indian unbleached cotton. Already prepped. I like the idea of at some point doing a hot wash... But don't want staining so a warm rinse/soak first with detergent? Then a full hot wash cold rinse with soap? Can I put the covers in there through the hot wash or could that damage the PUL?

I'm about to put her to bed... What can I do to keep her dry at night with only prefolds and covers?

And can I use just regular old diaper cream with cotton?

THAAAANK YYYOOOOUUUU!!!!

Visit my brand new blog! imamommy.weebly.com. It's still very small but I will be posting at least every week. Thank you!!

Advertisement

Mollysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Pixi6s's Avatar
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 7,649
My Mood:
Re: How to wash prefolds & how to setup overnight dipe :-)

Most people just start with a cold rinse no detergent. Then a hot wash with detergent and cold rinse. The PUL can go through the wash with them. Some people would line dry them or dry them lower temp. Some people dry on hot with no issues.

You shouldn't use regular diaper cream. Cloth friendly creams are usually oil based. I just use lanolin or olive oil, etc.

I've never used prefolds at night. I've heard you can use a newborn prefold as a doubler or 2 prefolds. Are you tri-folding or attaching it on with pin/snappi/ect?

To really achieve the feeling of dryness you might want to pick up some suede cloth or microfleece at the fabric store to make liners.

Good Luck and welcome
__________________
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deep South
Posts: 8,372
My Mood:
Re: How to wash prefolds & how to setup overnight dipe :-)

Cold wash Hot wash with detergent cold rinse

I bought a yard of fleece dirt cheap five yrs ago and made liners for stay dry. I still half the other half left and I am going on my fourth baby.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Mollysmomma's Avatar
Mollysmomma
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma
Cold wash Hot wash with detergent cold rinse

I bought a yard of fleece dirt cheap five yrs ago and made liners for stay dry. I still half the other half left and I am going on my fourth baby.
That's a good idea. How did you do it? Just cut a bunch of layers and sew them together?

I have another rookie question. The fleece you're talking about... Is this just the blanket type of fleece? Or something different.... Thank you all for humoring me!! :-)

Visit my brand new blog! imamommy.weebly.com. It's still very small but I will be posting at least every week. Thank you!!
Mollysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Mollysmomma's Avatar
Mollysmomma
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s
Most people just start with a cold rinse no detergent. Then a hot wash with detergent and cold rinse. The PUL can go through the wash with them. Some people would line dry them or dry them lower temp. Some people dry on hot with no issues.

You shouldn't use regular diaper cream. Cloth friendly creams are usually oil based. I just use lanolin or olive oil, etc.

I've never used prefolds at night. I've heard you can use a newborn prefold as a doubler or 2 prefolds. Are you tri-folding or attaching it on with pin/snappi/ect?

To really achieve the feeling of dryness you might want to pick up some suede cloth or microfleece at the fabric store to make liners.

Good Luck and welcome
Thank you!!

I've tried the bikini wrap. Hate it. Tried the "y" fold looking one and didn't care for it either. Currently doing a trifold on the short side. So far that's what I like. I only have the infant prefolds. Guess I could put two in there...?

Visit my brand new blog! imamommy.weebly.com. It's still very small but I will be posting at least every week. Thank you!!
Mollysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16,344
Re: How to wash prefolds & how to setup overnight dipe :-)

Warm pre rinse actually helps to prevent stains from setting in. I do hot wash and hot rinse.
__________________
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deep South
Posts: 8,372
My Mood:
Re: How to wash prefolds & how to setup overnight dipe :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysmomma View Post
That's a good idea. How did you do it? Just cut a bunch of layers and sew them together?

I have another rookie question. The fleece you're talking about... Is this just the blanket type of fleece? Or something different.... Thank you all for humoring me!! :-)

Visit my brand new blog! imamommy.weebly.com. It's still very small but I will be posting at least every week. Thank you!!
[QUOTE=Mollysmomma;16137598]Thank you!!

I've tried the bikini wrap. Hate it. Tried the "y" fold looking one and didn't care for it either. Currently doing a trifold on the short side. So far that's what I like. I only have the infant prefolds. Guess I could put two in there...?

QUOTE]

I just cut them out the size of the diaper inside and did not sew anything.

Also Yeah the flece you would find on a sweater or blanket.

How old is baby? I like the jelly roll for prefolds. It is really the only one I use.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Mollysmomma's Avatar
Mollysmomma
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
She's 2 months. Only 12 lbs and can't stand bulkiness in the diaper. She's currently mad at me for her fat diaper right now.

No idea what the jelly roll is. How do I find it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2691568190.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	129734

Visit my brand new blog! imamommy.weebly.com. It's still very small but I will be posting at least every week. Thank you!!
Mollysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Deep South
Posts: 8,372
My Mood:
Re: How to wash prefolds & how to setup overnight dipe :-)



you really do not need 2 prefolds if your lo is not a super socker.

Yesterday I put dd to bed in a prefold, hemp doubler (little weeds fron cotton babies) with a fleece liner. She slept the night and no leaks--oh I used a flip cover.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Mollysmomma's Avatar
Mollysmomma
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma


you really do not need 2 prefolds if your lo is not a super socker.

Yesterday I put dd to bed in a prefold, hemp doubler (little weeds fron cotton babies) with a fleece liner. She slept the night and no leaks--oh I used a flip cover.
I don't have two prefolds in there... I have a thin insert that I out inside the trifold because I'm not sure what the fabric is and didn't want to put it against her skin.

So you're just using a thin layer of fleece on too because the wetness passes through and keeps her feeling dry? I don't have any doublers yet...

I was told no synthetic fiber directly against the skin.......... Is fleece an exception?

Visit my brand new blog! imamommy.weebly.com. It's still very small but I will be posting at least every week. Thank you!!
Mollysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.