Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh, and 1 month may not be long enough to see a good transition. I woul give it a few more weeks and see what happens.

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1st formula baby, horrible reflux, bleeding privates, help please!:(

do not use wipes on him to clean up. use water only and a light loop wash cloth. I was using some wipes on my first son and he would bleed alot too. he was allergic to those wipes and several others so the poo combined w the wipes just ruined his delicate skin. I would ONLY use water or stick him bum in the sink to rinse off and no wiping action to allow healing. also continue air drying as you are doing.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
ahblessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I will try just the water. I also looked at the online price of neocate wrong; it was per case not per can! Anyone else try neocate and it helped or didn't help? Thanks!
ahblessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had burning, acidic poo with Nutramigen. The skin would peel off DD's little bottom. We had to switch to Elecare (similar to Neocate). If you can get baby qualified for WIC, they should cover one or the other. If you have to pay out of pocket, Elecare is generally less expensive than Neocate.

We have found that Zyrtec helps our DD with some of the skin issues, but your doc probably won't want you LO on it until he's older. We use Vaniply for "diaper cream" and other issue spots on her skin. We use Vanicream for lotion (no allergens). No wipes, just water and a soft cloth. We can use some gentle/natural/no scent commercial wipes now, but are very careful.

California Baby Super Sensitive is the only soap that she uses. Her baths are just plain water most of the time. Soap only on the dirty spots.

DD is now 100% trained, but now breaks out from some toliet paper brands. It never ends ...

Last edited by Beth.; 01-10-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Yes, definitely just plain water...totally forgot about that. When ours got a really bad rash (from the constant diarrhea), we would put him in the tub and just spray him off if possible. When it wasn't possible, we used soft paper towels with warm water. Aside from that, I would keep up with the Neosporin. Aquaphor is great stuff too. And if the wet things (ointments) don't work, try dry...baby powder or browned flour even. I know, it sounds crazy. I laughed out loud when a doctor (not our regular one, but one in her office) told her to try it. She said "You laugh, but try! You'll never find anything better!" You just take flour and brown it in a dry pan. It stinks, but it really does work. For our guy though, baby powder (cornstarch) does work just as well.

And the Neocate, we qualify for WIC and that has been a huge help since it is so expensive. A lot of insurances will cover it as well though. I'm not sure how the process goes, but your doctor will need to write a prescription for it in order for insurance (or WIC) to cover it. Ours gets shipped right to the house. I know there are other Neocate mama's here, just not sure where they've run off to, lol. Oh and your doctor may have some samples or may be able to get some for you. Ours gave us a few cans when we first switched. You may also be able to call and get a sample can sent out, but I'm not sure on that.

I think someone else mentioned a probiotic. Culturelle for Kids is little packets of powder. You put 1 packet in 1 bottle each day. Our son's doctor had us do that to help his gut heal from the dairy. It might be worth a shot for your little guy too. That particular kind, I think was $20 and if I remember correctly, it was 1 month's worth.

And the Prevacid, yes, give it time. I think it took a good 2 weeks to really see a huge improvement in our son. We seen a difference right away, but it took a while to really take full effect.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

I hit reply when the last mama did, but wanted to second the soap thing. Plain water baths are best. Our doctor had us use Dove soap (the unscented white bar) and we just scrubbed his head/little bit of hair with a wet washcloth. If it really needed washed, we just used the soap and it worked fine!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

My sons had similar rashes when on Nutramigen. Their poo was so acidic and they poo'd so frequently that their skin just could not handle it. We even tried prescription strength diaper rash creams. When we switched to Neocate we no longer had the issue. I would definitely suggest taking him in to the pedi to discuss Neocate and possibly get a sample. Also get a prescription for either insurance or WIC.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #18
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.neocate.com/reimbursement...-coverage-map/

Here is the link to everything you need to know about insurance coverage for medical foods (ie. amino acid formula). Maybe you're lucky and live in one of the 14 states that mandate coverage!!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
ahblessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! So only water, and probably neocate. The Drs office doesn't have samples but it sounds like it's worth a try. I just saw the other mama's post that it didn't even help, so don't want to go through all that if it won't. I actually use arrowroot powder at every change, it helps so much to not get rashes from the pee. I also have some very expensive probiotic drops, but haven't been doing them lately, I'll get on that! I didn't think culturelle could go into the bottle, but mine are warm so maybe that's why. It's crazy to have all these problems (and I have them breastfeeding too) and all my friends don't have a clue, diapering/baby care seems so easy! It must be hard to be my baby, poor little guy. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
ahblessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I looked up Neocate/Elecare, and saw lots of posts that Neocate is very constipating, is that true? One thing or another, isn't it?