Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 27lb 2.5 year old is ff. I honestly don't know anyone irl that rf their kids past 2. Even my babywearing group. Im not against people doing it but it is just not the norm here at all. We will continue to rf our dd4 until at least 2 but not sure beyond that. Will depend alot on her height and weight. And yes I understand that keeping them turn around is considered safer to do it until 5/6 etc.

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: A just turned 3YO is perfectly safe FF'ing...right?

I don't care what other people do in my community, even in more natural parenting groups because there are all kinds of things they do with their kids that doesn't jive with my parenting philosophies. I'm not going to let peer pressure influence my parenting decisions.

Yes a 3 year old is safe in a properly installed, properly used forward facing harnessed seat. It's not a choice that I would make for my child in my car (primary vehicle he rides in) but I'm not in your shoes. It's true that we would all be safer rear facing and that the bones in the neck and spinal column don't start to ossify until around 4. You have made it much farther than most parents do and for that , you've done a great job, Mama.

In that same vein, I would not turn a child under 3 unless there was nothing that child would fit in and I would import a seat if I had to in order to keep a child under 2 rear facing.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
I don't care what other people do in my community, even in more natural parenting groups because there are all kinds of things they do with their kids that doesn't jive with my parenting philosophies. I'm not going to let peer pressure influence my parenting decisions.

Yes a 3 year old is safe in a properly installed, properly used forward facing harnessed seat. It's not a choice that I would make for my child in my car (primary vehicle he rides in) but I'm not in your shoes. It's true that we would all be safer rear facing and that the bones in the neck and spinal column don't start to ossify until around 4. You have made it much farther than most parents do and for that , you've done a great job, Mama.

In that same vein, I would not turn a child under 3 unless there was nothing that child would fit in and I would import a seat if I had to in order to keep a child under 2 rear facing.
My point in the community aspect is that no one would even think to keep their kids turned around past two. Pedes here only recommend until two. Fire departments and police only recommend until two and will intact tell you not to continue to keep your kid rear facing after that. That the disadvantages outway the benefit. The only reason I even knew ppl did it was from this board.
Most ppl here do it at 1 and 20lbs because that's the law.

Like I said I will keep my dd4 rf until at.least two but Idk beyond that. I would never have kept my others turned around because it would have never even been on my radar to not turn them around.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Erinne
Registered Users

Are you sure the Size4Me headrest couldn't go higher so it doesn't hurt him? We switched from a MyRide to the Size4Me when my dd turned 3 because she was outgrowing it by height, and now she's 38" and has plenty of room still. I know I'm especially neurotic, but personally, the idea of turning my dd makes me so nervous I almost feel sick about it.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
That the disadvantages outway the benefit.
The benefit could be a child that survives or is less injured in a serious accident. How is that outweighed by the opinions of misinformed people?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post

The benefit could be a child that survives or is less injured in a serious accident. How is that outweighed by the opinions of misinformed people?
I don't think I said I agreed. I am explaining that I have talked to several of.our police department and fire fighters and.even our more crunchy places here and none have ever.given me the advice to keep baby turned around past two. They infact look at me like I have two heads. This forum and then finding other forums from here are the only.places that I have found.

When u live in a world where there is no info you wouldn't even know to question it then what is happening in the community is a factor.

I am not going to argue risks or non risks. I believe as long as you are not breaking the law you should do what you think is right as a parent. For me I didn't have more information so I turned.my 2.5 year old around earlier than two because she wouldn't stop throwing up in the car and crying non stop. We tried everything until we had her on benedril even for 20 minute rides. I made the decision.to turn her.

Now my dd4 is 8 months.old and does well rfing. I have no intention of.even considering turning her around until two but I have no clue what I will decide then because I dont know what she will weigh or her height.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
MrsFishyMarineWife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We can't afford a foonf.

I really want him RF'ing till 4 but I feel like I'm running out if options.

I think the bight in my seat is what makes the radian not fit very well. I have a Nissan rogue. It was really reclined without the AA but with the AA it was super straight and he likes being reclined a little.

We have to drive past BBB this weekend so ill try him in the size for me 70 again. The straps were above his shoulders when the headwings weren't pushing his shoulders down. He has broad shoulders.

Even at his shoulders the headwings were right on his shoulders.

DH is HOME from Afghan!
MrsFishyMarineWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I say you don't beat yourself up by turning a 3yo. When I first got preggo with dd I never thought about carseats. Then I learned a little more and decided our goal was 2yrs old. Then she got to about 18 mths and I was like "heck no are we turning her at 2! She will rf until she outgrows her radian"

She is 2yrs and 7 mths now and still rfing 95% of the time. We have turned her ffing in the truck because it is just so hard to get her rfing in it with the seat that will fit and the suicide doors and the fact that we RARELY drive it anyway. But I think we will turn her rfing again and just deal with it. In the car (which she is in 95% of the time) she has never ridden ffing and won't until she outgrows her seat. If that is at 3, then we pat ourselves on the back and turn her. But my kids are pretty small so we are thinking she will be 4, but probably closer to 5 and that is FINE with us!

I can't imagine what disadvantages outway the benefit of rfing for as long as you possibly can! You would have to have an outrageously good reason to turn a kid just because someone told you to. One look at joels journeyreminds me why I keep my kids rfing as long as I can!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFishyMarineWife
We can't afford a foonf.

I really want him RF'ing till 4 but I feel like I'm running out if options.

I think the bight in my seat is what makes the radian not fit very well. I have a Nissan rogue. It was really reclined without the AA but with the AA it was super straight and he likes being reclined a little.

We have to drive past BBB this weekend so ill try him in the size for me 70 again. The straps were above his shoulders when the headwings weren't pushing his shoulders down. He has broad shoulders.

Even at his shoulders the headwings were right on his shoulders.
Yeah, foonfs actually cost more than importing some seats. Bummer, that.

Curious if you tried adjusting the angle of the radian with the tether when using the AA? If it was too upright, using the tether to adjust it is allowed.

In addition to the s4m, there's also the new peg perego convertible to try when you go past BBB.

If neither of those work, turn him and don't feel guilty. You did the best you could with current carseat technology. And FFing at 3 is safe.

Last edited by mrosehughes; 01-10-2013 at 10:58 PM.
mrosehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #20
an_aurora
Registered Users

Yes, FF'ing at 3 is safe.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote