Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #21
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I just found out I'm pregnant again. My baby is only 3 months old.

It will all be ok!

If it were me, I would contact the mom that you donate to, and explain what has happened, and tell her you can give her half of what you said for this week, and that will be the last of it. I would be most concerned about building a freezer stash for your own baby right now. If you find that your supply dips too low, you will really want that for your daughter!

Good luck mama, you can do this! My brother was five months old when my mom found out she was pregnant with me. My brother and I have always been so super close, and I know he couldn't imagine his life without me.

Advertisement

Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #22
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither View Post
If it were me, I would contact the mom that you donate to, and explain what has happened, and tell her you can give her half of what you said for this week, and that will be the last of it. I would be most concerned about building a freezer stash for your own baby right now. If you find that your supply dips too low, you will really want that for your daughter!
I agree, my supply went way down around 12-13 weeks along. Id save as much as you can.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you everyone for your kind words and suggestions. You are all helping me feel better. Today has been a whirlwind of emotions for me. I've gone from absolute devastation and depression to slight optimism. I'm trying to be excited a little. I'm starting to think that giving my little girl an Irish twin sounds sort of fun. My nephew and niece are only 13 months apart. They just turned 2 & 1. They seem like twins now and it's kind of cool. I don't want to get too excited though. I feel like maybe there is less of a chance of this baby sticking as I'm only 3 months PP and still BFing. I don't know if that's just in my head or if there are some real statistics to it. I just need to keep reminding myself that it is very early and nothing is guaranteed.

I've consulted my doula, my MW, and my LC already. They are giving me a mix of advice about BFing, pumping, and pregnancy. I'm so confused. My MW is mostly concerned about my water intake. She thinks I should stop pumping all together so all of my energy and hydration will go to my babies. My LC says I should just continue doing what I am doing for as long as I can. My doula told me to stockpile as much milk as I can for my three month old. The only thing everyone agrees on is that I need to stop donating. I want to keep pumping. I want to give my 3 month old as much breast milk as I possibly can. I'm nervous though. I can already feel uterine twinges when I nurse her and pump. Is this new baby really going to make it through this?

I was sick over telling the mom that I donate to. I don't want to get into her baby's circumstances, but she needs the milk desperately. I gave her nearly 750 oz in November and I assured her then that I would keep her well-supplied for as long as she needed. I feel so guilty that I can't live up to that promise now. The hardest part of this for me was breaking the news to her. She was amazingly understanding and sweet about things though. She's even excited for me. I had promised her 500 oz next weeks and she told me to keep it all. Thank goodness, because I think we'll need it. I didn't want to leave her high and dry though. I'm trying to help her find another donor mom.

My first appointment is going to be on Feb 6th. I'll have an ultrasound to date the pregnancy then. It's not really necessary though. I'm positive that I ovulated on New Years Eve/New Years Day. We, of course, DTD both of those days. DH asked me if he should pull out. I laughed and told him not to waste his time, that there wasn't a chance in world that it was necessary. Anyhow, DD was 2012 New Years baby. I'm guessing that we're in for another September 22nd EDD. That said, I'm going to stay FAR away from DH next New Years. I might even have to send him out of town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
As far as diet, just make sure you're getting lots of calories. They say an extra 300 calories/day for pregnancy, and an extra 500 calories/day for nursing, so that's about 800 calories for you. If I were you, I would also aim to get at least 100 grams of protein per day. The Brewer Diet recommends 80-100 for a pregnant woman, so you'd want more than that since you're pregnant and nursing. Try to get as much from calorie and nutritionally dense foods as you can.

If you see a dip in your supply, there is a supplement you can take from Motherlove Herbal that's for breastfeeding while pregnant. Here's a link to the product. It is completely safe to breastfeed while pregnant and your supply won't necessarily dry up, especially if you do things to help protect it. There's a blog called The Adventures of Lactating Girl and she nursed through pregnancy and has been tandem nursing her two girls. They're not so close in age as yours, but it might be a good resource to read about another mom tandem nursing. She has a few posts about it. There's also a book called Adventures in Tandem Nursing that I've heard and seen recommended a few times in various places to moms who are planning on or considering tandem nursing. When your colostrum comes in, both babies get the colostrum. It's a supply and demand thing to some extent, just like mature milk. Moms who have twins make enough colostrum for both babies (usually), so there's no reason to think that you wouldn't have enough for both your nurslings. When the new baby comes, you will of course have to make nursing him/her a higher priority than your older nursling, but that doesn't mean you have to wean. From what I've read in blogs by moms who've tandem nursed, the older one usually understands that the newborn needs it more often and are okay with sharing, especially since they aren't summarily cut off. If you do choose to tandem nurse, it might help your bond with your current baby, because you won't have to choose between the two babies, so to speak. (I don't know, really, just thinking in type.) If there's a LLL group or breastfeeding support group that meets in your area, it would probably be beneficial to go to that. LLL groups and LCs generally have a lot of good resources for a variety of nursing situations, including yours. Hang in there. You can do this.
Thank you so much for these suggestions. I'm going to be all over that More Milk stuff. I'm really excited about that. I'll check out the blog too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah View Post
I agree, my supply went way down around 12-13 weeks along. Id save as much as you can.
How much did it go down? Were you still able to breastfeed some? Did you have to supplement with formula?

Last edited by ashley84; 01-09-2013 at 10:56 PM.
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #25
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

you may have to supplement if your supply dips but if you can keep offering the breast she will im sure go on to successfully bf if you are open to tandum
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #26
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and I have to add this because it brought some sunshine to all of this. I found this article today and it's like it was just sitting there, meant for me. The mom's baby is 5 months older than mine, but her name is Ashley. It was so good that it made me cry, but what doesn't make me cry these days?

http://www.fitpregnancy.com/labor-de...close-together
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can do it mama!! You will have one heck of a story when you're an old lady, but you can totally do it!!

I'm happy that your hubby is excited and optimistic...that will go a long way!
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
JoeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You can do it mama, and it will be great. :hug:
I'm glad the lady you were pumping for was understanding.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Today's test is darker than yesterday's. I had to pull out my fancy camera to photograph yesterday's test. My cell phone cam could pick up today's line.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #30
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you are so newly preggo!! just take one day at a time as lots can happen. my biggest concern for you besides what you already preparing for is preterm birth. when you have babies very close together, you can have low implantation and preterm labor because the uterus has not fully healed from the last pregnancy. look at tori spelling or duggar mom, and I could name a whole other slew. just make sure at the end you drink a ton, rest a ton/keep off feet and take magnesium to keep away early contractions.

i would continue to pump if I were you, plus w as much as you make you could have a huge stick pile. I think even enough to still donate a bit to the other mom. your milk supply will dramatically decrease at some point but it may not be till you are 7-8 months along. im guessing if you make as much as you do, and keep pumping, you will tell your body to at least make enough for one (since you are saying twins by pumping right now)