Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
mommyjm
Registered Users

My Mood:
Diaper rash spread down legs. Need advice.

I know you mamas aren't doctors, but maybe you've had a similar experience.

My 20 month old got pretty bad diaper rash a couple of weeks ago, which we found out was caused by tomatoes and citrus. I kept her bottom clean and dry, and I switched to fitteds and wool at night so her bottom could breathe.

The rash on her bottom cleared up, but she still has an awful rash on the inside of her left leg from about where the edge of the diapers (during the day is AIOs and pockets) hit down to almost her knee. It's red, raised, and rough feeling.

Here's a pic:

I've tried CJ's BUTTer spray, Boudreaux's butt paste (natural), even Hydrocortizone cream, Neosporin, and antifungal cream, and nothing's seemed to work although I may not have tried some of them long enough. I've also tried just keeping it clean and dry and letting her go without pants for a day.

If it gets worse or doesn't start going away in the next couple of days I guess I'm going to have to make an appt with the dr. Until then, any suggestions?

(If pic doesn't want to work, try right clicking it and click 'open in a new tab')

Advertisement

Last edited by mommyjm; 01-10-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: pic and adding to list
mommyjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper rash spread down legs. Need advice.

I can't see the pic but maybe it is yeast. You could try some OTC antifungal athlete foot cream on it.
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
mommyjm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh yeah, I forgot to list that as one that I've tried. It didn't seem to help, but maybe I didn't try it long enough.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It can take a few days to work. How old is your LO? It could be eczema. Eczema is a sign of allergy and could have been a result of an allergic reaction to the tomato or citrus. Tomato is a fairly common food to be allergic to.
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
mommyjm
Registered Users

My Mood:

She's 20 months. I can try the antifungal for longer I suppose, but I actually suspected eczema myself. She ate some raw tomato when all this rash stuff started, and we figured she must be allergic because she immediately broke out around her mouth and cheeks when she ate it and then later in her diaper area. Those rashes went away, and now we're stuck with this leg rash.
If it's eczema, what should I do? I thought CJ's BUTTER was supposed to be good for eczema and it's what I've tried on it the most, but there seems to be not much, if any, change.
Thanks for the help by the way!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
kirst
Registered Users
seller

If it is excema, I would try Calmoseptine...CJ's helps and is good, but Calmoseptine is better (but is not cloth diaper safe and has zinc oxide). You might want to try monistat cream under the calmoseptine as it is a different antifungal than the athlete's foot cream and make sure to use at least 3 days. It could be a secondary fungal infection after the allergy reaction irritated the skin and allowed an opening
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
mommyjm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst View Post
If it is excema, I would try Calmoseptine...CJ's helps and is good, but Calmoseptine is better (but is not cloth diaper safe and has zinc oxide). You might want to try monistat cream under the calmoseptine as it is a different antifungal than the athlete's foot cream and make sure to use at least 3 days. It could be a secondary fungal infection after the allergy reaction irritated the skin and allowed an opening
Thank you, it definitely seems worth a try. I looked it up and saw Calmoseptine is sold at Walgreens, so I'll see if my hubby can pick some up on the way home today.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
mommyjm
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just wanted to update that the rash is looking SO much better! That's without the Monistat, which seemed to make it a little bit redder, so I guess that shows it's definitely more eczema or allergy related. Anyway, it's going away, so that's a relief.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Try sween and or gynelotrom for yeast. If your switched cloth dipes do you think a reaction to wool now? Yeast can health from lose stools.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Oh that is good to hear. I have been using the Calmoseptine I bought for my son on a bad patch of excema I have on my arm (like for years I've had it). It has been a week and a half and it is almost healed up. Wish I'd taken before and after pics now.

Forty years I've had excema, tried everything, and no docs have ever mentioned this stuff to me...??!! And it's not expensive and doesn't have lots of funky ingredients, and all ingredients I've tried before...just the right combo I guess.

Last edited by kirst; 01-11-2013 at 10:31 PM.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote