Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #71
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
3boys_mom
I don't have experience. I have a friend who sends her sons. Seems to help them. While another friend choose to do therapy at home. I don't see as much progress with the home one ss the one who goes to therapy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

Advertisement

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #72
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well today I'm going to push through school, still not feeling 100%. Even though we started late every single day I think school has gone relatively well all week long.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #73
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: HS Check in. Dec 31-Jan 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boys_mom View Post
I believe it's been brought up before…anyone have any experience with their child and speech therapy? DS3 is at the evaluation stage and I'm wondering what I/we can expect for the coming weeks/months.

Our son went to speech therapy through the school system for a couple of years. He did summer school the first summer, which was a couple hours 3 days a week and he was in a class with other children that had similar speech difficulties, so they could all work on the sounds together. During the school year itself, I took him up to the school a couple times a week for a half hour. At each evaluation they would ask me some questions, talk to him, etc, just to ascertain where his problems were. We would then meet with the speech therapist to set up a plan on what was going to be worked on over the next few months. We usually met again at the end of each semester to go over his plan again and see where we were. And while I didn't sit in the class with him, the teachers (he had two therapists) were always ready and willing to sit and answer any questions I had. Oh, and they would send home work for us to be doing during the week, too.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #74
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD had speech therapy through early intervention and also at a clinic. EI was awesome but I would guess that the child you are talking about is too old for that. We also had a very good therapist at the clinic. There's really not too much to the evaluation, and when they are young most of the therapy is play. Yours may be different though if he is quite a bit older.

As for us...I called the optometrist but he said we have to keep going with the reading program I hate. He said this is to be expected and in another month or so we should start seeing major leaps of progress. Unfortunately I'm not the patient sort and this month will seem very long.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #75
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Arg..double post.

Last edited by jen_batten; 01-10-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #76
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
My DD had speech therapy through early intervention and also at a clinic. EI was awesome but I would guess that the child you are talking about is too old for that. We also had a very good therapist at the clinic. There's really not too much to the evaluation, and when they are young most of the therapy is play. Yours may be different though if he is quite a bit older.

As for us...I called the optometrist but he said we have to keep going with the reading program I hate. He said this is to be expected and in another month or so we should start seeing major leaps of progress. Unfortunately I'm not the patient sort and this month will seem very long.
I probably missed this somewhere along the line, but what exactly was your son's dx? I would be interested in understanding why memorizing word families is the answer to the problem. I'm not trying to second guess the dr., but I'm just curious as to how this person is qualified to say that "this" particular program will work for your son. It doesn't seem like something that my optometrist would do.

I do remember that it was a certain specialty, I just can't remember what it was.

As for us... kids have been doing great. The girls were done before lunch and now DD1 is getting ready to head off for her first archery practice.

DS did some reading last night but didn't catch up completely. I think we'll end up bumping a day's work back to next week.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #77
3boys_mom
Registered Users

My son that seems to have the speech delay just turned 5. The evaluation is through early intervention. He is still considered pre-school age until Sept of this year. My older two boys did the same thing he does (drops the first sound off of words) but by 4 1/2 - 5 yo, it had cleared up. With DS3 it just doesn't seem to be getting better. The frustration level (his and ours) has escalated to the point we decided to have him evaluated.
Just before everything closed for Christmas, he was seen by a speech therapist. She agrees that he needs some assistance. She wanted him evaluated by an occupational therapist on the basis that he didn't show hand preference when writing. OT saw him just after New Year's and someone from the special ed dept was supposed to see him at that time as well, but had called out sick that day. That appt is set for the 21st of this month. I just feel like we are getting the run around. I'd like them to decide what they will be doing to start helping him.

Thank you for those who gave me some input. I appreciate it.

It seems we are falling back in to our same old routine. I really hate not being done with our lessons by dinner time. But on the upside....all four did something again today. That's an accomplishment in and of itself.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #78
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lyn--that's awesome that EI program where you are at goes that old--they have really good services if you get a good therapist. Here it only goes to age 3, and they will not evaluate any kids after age 2.5. You have to go through the school district or go private at that point. It probably will mostly be games but they can have a huge impact on development, and the therapists will be able to teach you a lot that you can use to help him. I hope you get the help you need soon! It's frustrating when you can't get the services you need. My daughter was supposed to be in occupational therapy since age 2....she's now a bit over 3 and I could count the appointments she's had on one hand. It stinks. Hopefully once they get the eval done they will get on the ball and your son will improve quickly.

Kristin--The Dr. didn't give me a specific dx for Keegan (but I still think he is dyslexic). He is a pedatric optometrist who specializes in reading issues. The only reason I haven't quit the program is because every single comment he has made about Keegan and his learning styles have been spot on so far. So I think I am going to hold out and hope that he is right. He talked quite a bit about his learning styles, and Keegan doesn't visualize things, so that is one of the main goals of the program. He also doesn't recognize patterns in words (hence the word families) and it's like he almost can't attempt to decode any word he comes across. If he doesn't know a word, he will substitue one that would make sense (like saying "small" when the word is "little"). I hated to ask the Dr. too many questions the first time we went because Keegan was in the room with me and he gets really uncomfortable with people talk about him. Then when he returned my call I was doing gymnastics with Kennah...my Mom is going to go with me to the follow up appointment, so hopefully I can send Keegan out with her and get a lot more info then.

As for us...We didn't do a regular school day but did do some lifeskills (rooster butchering and hauling wood), Keegan's reading program and reading. Hopeing for our big breakthrough soon!!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #79
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Lyn--that's awesome that EI program where you are at goes that old--they have really good services if you get a good therapist. Here it only goes to age 3, and they will not evaluate any kids after age 2.5. You have to go through the school district or go private at that point. It probably will mostly be games but they can have a huge impact on development, and the therapists will be able to teach you a lot that you can use to help him. I hope you get the help you need soon! It's frustrating when you can't get the services you need. My daughter was supposed to be in occupational therapy since age 2....she's now a bit over 3 and I could count the appointments she's had on one hand. It stinks. Hopefully once they get the eval done they will get on the ball and your son will improve quickly.
He will age out of EI in Sept and then we will have to go through the school district (or private~which won't happen as we have NO $$ as it is). That is why I want this to get moving along. I am hoping that we won't have to bother with the school district at all. I really liked the ST we saw. I DID NOT like the OT. She was annoyed that he could not use scissors properly. All the while I am thinking in my head...what the heck does this have to do with speech therapy? OK I get it, he can't use the scissors, I can work on that (all this week he's been using scissors JUST FINE!) I just want him speaking clearer.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #80
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

OT was probably annoyed about the scissors because they work on fine motor skills and sensory issues. It sounds pitiful that she was annoyed though...that's her job to work on. If he gets OT I would ask your service coordinator if there are any other OTs in the area that you could work with instead. It kind of sounds to me like maybe they will put him in OT as well since he hasn't chosen a hand and had a bit of trouble with scissors. Hope you get everything lined out soon!