Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How to start homeschooling?

I'm looking into what it would take to homeschool dd (4). Her bday is October so we still have another 2 years almost before she'd go to school. We did some practice tracing letters today (made it all the way to Q before she was done ) and we had a good time together. We live in Missouri API dunno if that matters etc. but where do we start?

Advertisement

Owner and designer of Butterfly Elephants, waldorf style dolls
Lady_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How to start homeschooling?

First, I would look at the laws in your state. I'm from Missouri too, so I actually know those. Missouri doesn't require you to report to the school district or anything like that. You don't have to have any degree or anything. They do require that you track your hours for mandatory school age students (7-16). You have to have 1000 hours over the course of the school year. I think it has to be from July-June. 600 of those hours have to be in the 5 core subject. 400 (of the 600 core hours) have to be taught in your home or school location. The rest of the hours can be any subject you choose, or more core hours if you want. You can keep track of the hours however you want. Online, calendar, journal, whatever. You also have to write the occasional update of your child's progress...a journal note that says "M's reading has improved a lot this week" is fine, or however you want to keep track. You need to keep a few items as examples of work that you have done. I know this sounds like a lot, but it's not hard at all once you get into it, and MO requires less than a lot of states. We also don't have to do standardized testing or anything, so hooray for that!!

For you I would say keep the laws in mind and start thinking about what you want to teach. Do you want a curriculum, or do you want to do your own thing? If you want a curriculum, think of what kind. Religious? Secular? Handson? Etc. Find out what resources are in your area. I'm not sure where you are, but Springfield has a lending library where you can check out curriculum for $1 for the whole year. That's pretty great. They also have a homeschooling convention in April. It's called SHEM and it can be very helpful for newbies. I'm sure there are other conventions out there too if you're not in that area. Talk to other homeschoolers in your area. See if maybe there is a coop, or just someone who has BTDT. It never hurts to have a homeschooling buddy that you can chat with.

Right now all you *really* need to do is relax and enjoy your daughter. I'm not always that good at taking that advice though, so if you have questions or anything else you'd like to know, I'd be happy to help.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are from MA so all we have to do is submit a letter of intent from age 6-16...basically just outlining what we will be covering but it is very broad and then we pick some sort of evaluation to submit yearly as well, we will go with examples of their work! i am lucky that MA is so lax about it. Our children are 5, 4, 2.5 and 6 months so for the older ones especially i just do LOTS of reading, crafts, playing and exploring. If they feel like learning about something specific I teach it to them! Nothing super structured for us for now and honestly probably for a while!
I have a little blog that I haven't updated in a month but it has tons of great crafts and learning activities I have done with them if you are looking for ideas, just look on the side with different months and you can see some of the stuff I have done with them http://thompsons-lifeloveandlearning.blogspot.com/ good luck with your homeschooling adventure
Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So then let's say she sticks with it till grade 12, does she just take a ghd test?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
First, I would look at the laws in your state. I'm from Missouri too, so I actually know those. Missouri doesn't require you to report to the school district or anything like that. You don't have to have any degree or anything. They do require that you track your hours for mandatory school age students (7-16). You have to have 1000 hours over the course of the school year. I think it has to be from July-June. 600 of those hours have to be in the 5 core subject. 400 (of the 600 core hours) have to be taught in your home or school location. The rest of the hours can be any subject you choose, or more core hours if you want. You can keep track of the hours however you want. Online, calendar, journal, whatever. You also have to write the occasional update of your child's progress...a journal note that says "M's reading has improved a lot this week" is fine, or however you want to keep track. You need to keep a few items as examples of work that you have done. I know this sounds like a lot, but it's not hard at all once you get into it, and MO requires less than a lot of states. We also don't have to do standardized testing or anything, so hooray for that!!

For you I would say keep the laws in mind and start thinking about what you want to teach. Do you want a curriculum, or do you want to do your own thing? If you want a curriculum, think of what kind. Religious? Secular? Handson? Etc. Find out what resources are in your area. I'm not sure where you are, but Springfield has a lending library where you can check out curriculum for $1 for the whole year. That's pretty great. They also have a homeschooling convention in April. It's called SHEM and it can be very helpful for newbies. I'm sure there are other conventions out there too if you're not in that area. Talk to other homeschoolers in your area. See if maybe there is a coop, or just someone who has BTDT. It never hurts to have a homeschooling buddy that you can chat with.

Right now all you *really* need to do is relax and enjoy your daughter. I'm not always that good at taking that advice though, so if you have questions or anything else you'd like to know, I'd be happy to help.
We live in waynesville (near the fort) so I am going to def be asking lots of questions next year
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_B View Post
So then let's say she sticks with it till grade 12, does she just take a ghd test?
You can do a ged but I think it is more common to write a transcript for them and give them a diploma.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Jen, have you used the lending library? Im about two hours from Springfield so it would be a drive but worth it if it has a good selection. I also just remembered ghat I wanted to sign up for their newsletter so now I need to do that.

My dd just turned 4 in December. Right now we are more unschooly than anything, but I want to get a printer with our taxes and do tot packs when I can get her to sit. Right now she is just NOT into workbooks, etc, but she is great with field trps and experiments.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_B View Post
I'm looking into what it would take to homeschool dd (4). Her bday is October so we still have another 2 years almost before she'd go to school. We did some practice tracing letters today (made it all the way to Q before she was done ) and we had a good time together. We live in Missouri API dunno if that matters etc. but where do we start?
Mo school age is 7. So I would advise you to do what your doing and start something formal before DD is 7. Mo is a record keeping but you don't turn anything in unless your brought to court. Check out HSLDA. A wealth of information.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
Jen, have you used the lending library? Im about two hours from Springfield so it would be a drive but worth it if it has a good selection. I also just remembered ghat I wanted to sign up for their newsletter so now I need to do that.

My dd just turned 4 in December. Right now we are more unschooly than anything, but I want to get a printer with our taxes and do tot packs when I can get her to sit. Right now she is just NOT into workbooks, etc, but she is great with field trps and experiments.
I haven't been able to make it there while they're open. We live an hour and a half a way, and they are only open for a few hours on Tuesday afternoons. A lot of preschoolers in my area have been though and absolutely love it. A few women plan their homeschool year around what they can get there and make a point to make ayearly trip. I keep meaning to, but haven't been able to make it happen yet. I do know that their selection varies but you can go online to check out some of the stuff they have.

ETA: UGH...I just got a kindle and am not used to auto correct. HOMEschoolers in my area, not preschoolers.

Last edited by jen_batten; 01-10-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I haven't been able to make it there while they're open. We live an hour and a half a way, and they are only open for a few hours on Tuesday afternoons. A lot of preschoolers in my area have been though and absolutely love it. A few women plan their homeschool year around what they can get there and make a point to make ayearly trip. I keep meaning to, but haven't been able to make it happen yet. I do know that their selection varies but you can go online to check out some of the stuff they have.
Do you have a link? I'm interested.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote