Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
kari_lynn222
Registered Users
seller

Grovia's users please help

I got a couple of Grovia shells and 4 Stay Dry, snap-in inserts and I have to say I'm a little confused. I snapped them down to the smallest setting and I don't see how the insert really fits in there like this. It sticks out the front and/or back. I haven't tried them on a baby yet (my LO isn't due for another couple months) but I am just curious for those who have used them, if you have any insight?

Also since this is an AI2 it's designed to just replace the insert and use the shell at least twice right? But it has a netting on the inside & isn't wipeable, so does this pose a problem for just swapping out the insert?

I've heard a lot of people love this diaper but I just don't get it.

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Re: Grovia's users please help

I was able to use them on the lowest rise with my son after he was about 10 pounds, they do work when there is a baby in there! The shell fit well before that though, over prefolds, from about 7 pounds.

As far as reusing the shell, the TPU backing on the insert keeps the shells mostly dry. For a faster change I always have a new shell/soaker set up anyway, then after baby is changed I place the dirty soaker in the pail and leave the shell on the changing table, mesh side up, to air out. I could use 2-3 shells per day, rotating, and often times used the same 2-3 shells for two full days. I really liked the mesh because I never had to worry about the sticky side of TPU or PUL touching my kids, that just doesn't seem comfortable to me.

I would be sure to prep your soakers a LOT the natural hemp oils can be really stubborn. Also, with ANY AI2 system you are going to get fewer uses out of covers when baby is still on a liquid diet, as those explosive newborn poops will get on the inside of the cover from time to time, but as I said that's with any system. It's also why I loved newborn prefolds snappied
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Once you stretch the leg elastic around baby the insert should fit. Just make sure it's tucked in in the back and front once on baby. If the inserts haven't been prepped yet, they shrink with prepping. Since they are TPU (waterproof) backed, you should be able to reuse the cover with a new insert unless poop gets on it or baby is SUPER wet and the cover gets wet too.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Mommyofluca
Registered Users
seller

Make sure you prep your soakers plenty!!!! When I first started using mine I thought they were prepped and ready, and my son would pee towards the front. When I changed his diaper the front of the soaker and the cover would be soaked, and towards the back of the soaker it was totally dry. So for a long time I had to change the whole thing each time, because even if I let the cover dry it would smell of pee. Gro via has excellent customer service and they helped me figure out that my soakers needed more prepping so the wetness would stay evenly distributed. That helped, but overall my son was always a super heavy wetter and we usually got no more than two uses from one cover before having to wash. The fit was amazing though, trim unlike any other diaper, and they were my favorite option to travel because I would hand wash them in my hotel room sink, line dry and they would be dry the next morning! Good luck...
Mommyofluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyofluca View Post
Make sure you prep your soakers plenty!!!! When I first started using mine I thought they were prepped and ready, and my son would pee towards the front. When I changed his diaper the front of the soaker and the cover would be soaked, and towards the back of the soaker it was totally dry.
Me too. The hemp soakers need to be washed dried at least 4 times, more if you're using a natural detergent. I went back and 'reprepped' all mine with All Free and Clear (I normally use Country Save) and all my leaks stopped.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
QuartzandPyrite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All great advice, I just started using GroVia and I can say they do need a little more prepping but worth the extra effort! On the smallest setting just kind of stretch the cover up and secure. I had the same thought until I saw it on the buns! Super cute diapers, I am happy with them and can't wait to try them on my new squish due in March!
QuartzandPyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
It's_All_4_Them
Registered Users

I was a little confused at first as well, but quickly realized it does work. I have an almost 3 week old and while it looks huge on her, the grovias can work. After putting the diaper on, i just make sure the inserts are tucked in around the legs by pulling the leg gussets. And then her pick up and pull the back part of the cover up and just tuck in the insert if it's sticking out. So far no leaks!
It's_All_4_Them is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

Glad to see this. I snatched up some shells from their clearance sale the other day for $9 a piece to add to our TTC stash. I really like them, but wondered how that insert was going to fit in the shell even though I would probably use prefolds in them at first.
mothergooseofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

They work awesome on newborns over a trifolded newborn or preemie prefold.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
theoriginalpumpkin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
For a faster change I always have a new shell/soaker set up anyway, then after baby is changed I place the dirty soaker in the pail and leave the shell on the changing table, mesh side up, to air out. I could use 2-3 shells per day, rotating, and often times used the same 2-3 shells for two full days. I really liked the mesh because I never had to worry about the sticky side of TPU or PUL touching my kids, that just doesn't seem comfortable to me.

I agree.
theoriginalpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote