Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #31
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How mainstream is cloth in your area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctBaby View Post
I'm in Dallas and stores are easy to find (buy buy baby sells BG! They're bed bath and beyonds sister store)
This reminds me of when I first saw BG4.0 pockets in BBB. Even though they didn't work for us, I was so excited. Then I took a closer look. Every. Single. One. had one of those giant security pin tags stuck through the crotch area-- through the microfiber/suedecloth/whatever that is and the PUL. I quietly mentioned to the manager that they were all damaged and got a blank look-- I can't explain why I wanted someone there to understand. That's how most people I talk to see CD in this area. But I forgot to mention, I do work with 3 other moms who CD and I've actually bought or sold from people I consider somewhat local to me So there are more people that I don't see.

Advertisement

c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #32
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

I was a late convert; my friends and my sister used cloth before I did. I was skeptical at first.

I live in a small city (one million people in the general metro area), and I live in the crunchy part. I often see kids at the park or the coffee shop in cloth. I'm the only one who uses CDs at our snooty upper middle class preschool, though.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #33
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've never met another cd mama/family. Nor ever heard of anyone in my area.... People look at me stupid when I say we cloth diaper. Lol so I'm going to say it's non existent. I have met one person who's breastfed though! Oy. I want to move.

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 01-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #34
pottermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not very but more than other places for sure. Ds ped days a lot of her patients use cloth and I see a fair amount if fishers of Craig's list.
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #35
buko
Registered Users
seller

Fairly large eastern US metro area of about 3-4 million people total, depending on how you count it.

It's hard for me to say, since my first isn't quite here yet, so I don't interact locally with lots of moms of small ones, per se. Not enough to get a good picture. I definitely noticed some at my midwives' holiday party (past and present clients), but... they're homebirth midwives, LOL.

We have a couple of B&M mostly-cloth-diaper shops in the metropolitan area, but they're both pretty out-of-the-way.

My best estimation is that CDing is "heard of"-- in some of the communities more than others-- but of course it's not anywhere close to the majority, and I'd be shocked if more than 10% of the total population around here did it in any capacity.

My mom's family in particular (who live just past the exurbs, in a rural area), make fun of me for planning to CD. I get the feeling that over there (about 2 hours outside the city), it's much rarer still.
buko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #36
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Very common here, but I live in a crunchy city in a crunchy state
Old 01-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #37
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not very common and we live in Phoenix - HUGE city (I think 6th largest city in the country) . I only know 2 moms that cloth diaper. And, surprisingly, there really aren't very many B& M stores - maybe only 2 or 3 and they are all an hour away from us. Which just seems crazy b/c we have every store known to man.

But, on a good note, breastfeeding is VERY common - most babies I see being fed are being breast fed.

AND I do see lotsa babies being carried in Moby's or Ergos.

So, that's positive...
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #38
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady longs View Post
Not very common and we live in Phoenix - HUGE city (I think 6th largest city in the country) . I only know 2 moms that cloth diaper. And, surprisingly, there really aren't very many B& M stores - maybe only 2 or 3 and they are all an hour away from us. Which just seems crazy b/c we have every store known to man.

But, on a good note, breastfeeding is VERY common - most babies I see being fed are being breast fed.

AND I do see lotsa babies being carried in Moby's or Ergos.

So, that's positive...
I loved the public restroom at the local mall when we visited my parents down there. Nursing stations, changing stations and little kid potties
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #39
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
I live in prob one of the most crunchiest places in the US, Bellingham WA (aka Birthingham), it is not uncommon to see a fluffy butt, but I wouldn't say mainstream.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #40
lilletambur
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know maybe a handful of ladies, that have used or are using cloth on their little ones, but it's not very common. Earlier this week, we had to go to the hospital to get the baby's hips examined (nothing was wrong), and the doctor made a comment about the cloth diapers. She said that of all the babies she had examined, ours was the first with cloth diapers. I told here we had used cloth on all three of them, and she said she had too. But she was fram Germany, and she said it was more common there.

This is a pretty small town and district, tho. If you go to one of the large towns in the neighbour county, I guess you will find a larger amount of cloth diaper users.
lilletambur is offline   Reply With Quote