Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
PIPERJAYDemom2009
Registered Users

Re: Please help me stay with cloth! (or, diaper rash woes)

coconut oil works or breast milk

Advertisement

PIPERJAYDemom2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
QuartzandPyrite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with those saying try a fitted or a pinned prefold every now and then, especially if you are changing so often you probably won't have an issue with leaking. I made a solution of diluted baby body wash and keep it in a spray bottle on the changing table so I can spray him down with every change. I noticed too that when I switched to natural fiber prefolds I rarely see any irritation.

One other thing that I thought I would throw out there, my son has an issue with yeasty poo and we have noticed that if he doesn't eat yogurt every day he will have a yeast rash with the afternoon BM. That's just us, but it's worth a try? Good luck!
QuartzandPyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #23
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
You might need breathability ... fleece is a low-maintenance alternative to wool. PUL isn't really very breathable
I'll have to look for a couple of fleece covers as a start, just to see if that's the issue. That would at least give me se confidence in replacing the Flips.

Quote:
Doing 2 layers of microfleece might make the problem worse ... It takes time for moisture to penetrate fleece and other "stay dry" fabrics, so putting 2 layers might be subjecting your LO to a puddle while it soaks in. Better to add more absorbency, that's the only thing that keeps the moisture from soaking back through the fleece.
I didn't know that! I can try single-layer inserts tomorrow and see of that helps at all.

Quote:
When we get rashy stuff around the legs it's usually a detergent issue, solved by switching to Country Save or Biokleen liquid. Soap-based detergents and Tide are our worst offenders.
We use 7th Generation for clothes and EcoVER for diapers. I think changing detergents might be something to try later. Don't want to change too many variables at once.

I think the diaper rash might be a separate issue from the redness around his legs. It just looks different. Poor little guy has cradle cap, eczema, diaper rash, and whatever is going on around his thighs -- all at once!

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!
SomeThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #24
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPERJAYDemom2009 View Post
coconut oil works or breast milk
Thanks, Ill try those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartzandPyrite View Post
I made a solution of diluted baby body wash and keep it in a spray bottle on the changing table so I can spray him down with every change.
So you just spray him with (very diluted) soapy water at every change? What is the goal?
SomeThing is offline   Reply With Quote