Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
clothmomof3
Registered Users
seller

Exclamation Feeding issues.

My nephew is totally NPO and is only fed thru his Mickey button. They recently switched him to Pedisure, he is lactose intolerant and has a milk protein allergy so this is a problem!!! Continuously vomiting.... With a fundo. He needs to be on a 30 cal formula and usually gets a 105 ml bolus every 3 hours. We need a different formula option. He is 16 months old and takes nothing by mouth!!!! help!!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
mekat
Registered Users

Re: Feeding issues.

Do you just need a formula recommendation? We use Elecare Junior unflavored, a lot of kids with allergies and poor intestinal function thrive with this formula. There are a lot of other formulas out there through so it is just a matter of trying different ones. Usually the pediatric GI's office will load parents up with samples to try before putting through an insurance authorization just in case the kid can't tolerate it.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
clothmomof3
Registered Users
seller

Doc is being a jerk.. What are the calories of ellecare?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is on Peptamin Jr. 30 cal, and it is ready to feed. Its hypoallergenic. He has done it orally, through G, and through a J.

http://www.nestlenutritionstore.com/...FUZgMgodt3IAbg

They have a bunch of options. It is not cheap, but ready to feed is super easy. He did Elecare, and tolerated it well, but it tastes terrible, so when we were ready to start working on oral feeds, we switched to Peptamin Junior vanilla flavored. There is also a 45 cal version, if you need to go to that.

Elecare is a powder, so you can make it however many calories you need.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-11-2013 at 11:16 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
clothmomof3
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies for the info ill talk with my sister tomorrow. The gi mentioned a g/j tube but really don't think that is the issue, really think it is the allergy. Ill keep you ladies posted, again thanks so much!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We went to a GJ when we couldn't get vomitting under control. DS got his at 18 months (got G at 7 months). Over time, the vomitting stopped, and then we were able to reintroduce oral feeds.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could it be the milk protein in the Pediasure? You said he has a milk protein allergy and Pediasure has milk protein in it.

Our son is severely allergic to animal protein and any time there is the littlest about of protein in anything he vomits.

Our son is 17 months or 1 adjusted and is on Neocate Infant, there is a Neocate junior maybe that would work? It has no milk protein or animal protein, no soy.

http://global.neocate.com/neocate-op...y-of-products/

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.~John Wooden"
ISO: WCW cuffed longies or bloomers size Small
momgoddesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
mekat
Registered Users

Yes, Elecare jr is designed to be mixed to 30 cal. Jr in a formula name means adolescent formula and they are usual 30 cal/oz because nutritionally this is the calorie concentration most children need after the age of one. If you see Jr in a name it will likely meet your calorie requirements.

Last edited by mekat; 01-13-2013 at 12:19 PM.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
My son loves the taste of the vanilla elecare jr. It is so gross but he refuses everything else weaning off elecare has been a battle.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son is on Neocate Jr only and it is also 30 cal. We use the unflavored but they also have a tropical, chocolate and their Splash options. They are all completely dairy & soy free.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote