Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm thinking my little one could use a little more milk. With the exception of the first couple of feeds of the day (when she seems truly content, sleeps soundly after, etc) she tends to eat often, sleep very little and is quick to fuss. I know she is gaining well, but if I had a little more milk, I feel like she wouldn't pull, fuss, and pop on and off my nips over and over.

Anyway, how much fenugreek should I start with?

ETA: she is 7 weeks old, but has been doing this for several weeks so I don't think it's a growth spurt trying to summon more milk.

Sent from my phone

Advertisement

Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.

Last edited by Arizonah13; 01-12-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Arizonah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My milk supply due to hospitalization and stuff depleted. I started fenugreek last night and I have milk again. LC here said 3 pills 3x a day and they smell like pancakes and syrup
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Gnc sells it and my husb got it at rite aid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3346858428.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	130071  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: fenugreek

Mothrs milk tea, mothers milk plus, thistle too not sure on amounts to try....
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I could do 2 pills 3 times per day. Any more caused my baby to have gas. I smell like a pancake though, so it is working.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies! I'll start with 2 pills 3x a day and add in some lactation cookies for good measure.

Sent from my phone
Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonah13
I'm thinking my little one could use a little more milk. With the exception of the first couple of feeds of the day (when she seems truly content, sleeps soundly after, etc) she tends to eat often, sleep very little and is quick to fuss. I know she is gaining well, but if I had a little more milk, I feel like she wouldn't pull, fuss, and pop on and off my nips over and over.

Anyway, how much fenugreek should I start with?

ETA: she is 7 weeks old, but has been doing this for several weeks so I don't think it's a growth spurt trying to summon more milk.

Sent from my phone
Could she be sensitive to something in your diet? Does she arch at all? Ds2 pulled & fussed & pulled & fussed... When he'd finally get the letdown he was either happy or clearly upset & wild stop... It's a double edged sword because the milk soothes tummies & they want that- but sometimes it can hurt too!
He slept ok in the beginning but steadily got worse. Hope that's not the case for you!
Eta: 6 pills a day worked for me...
E-2.1.14

Last edited by mrseum; 01-12-2013 at 08:07 PM.
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started with 3 pills 3x's a day. But, the key is to make sure you are taking enough. If you don't smell, take more. I am on my 4th nursing experience (6th baby, 2 set of twins). I've taken it in the past and it was NO help at all. This time, I decided to take a lot more after reading what others do. I ended up at 6 pills 3x's per day before I finally started smelling like maple syrup and noticed an increase in my supply. No adverse affects for baby at all.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post

Could she be sensitive to something in your diet? Does she arch at all? Ds2 pulled & fussed & pulled & fussed... When he'd finally get the letdown he was either happy or clearly upset & wild stop... It's a double edged sword because the milk soothes tummies & they want that- but sometimes it can hurt too!
He slept ok in the beginning but steadily got worse. Hope that's not the case for you!
Eta: 6 pills a day worked for me...
She seems to pull and fuss a few minutes after I let down and /or if I take a while to let down. She really behaves like she's impatient for my milk. Also, in the middle of the night and earlier in the day when my breasts are obviously much fuller, she doesn't fuss much, if at all.

And she hardly ever spits up (maybe once or twice a week)

Sent from my phone
Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I started with 3 pills 3x's a day. But, the key is to make sure you are taking enough. If you don't smell, take more. I am on my 4th nursing experience (6th baby, 2 set of twins). I've taken it in the past and it was NO help at all. This time, I decided to take a lot more after reading what others do. I ended up at 6 pills 3x's per day before I finally started smelling like maple syrup and noticed an increase in my supply. No adverse affects for baby at all.

Good luck!
I started taking them yesterday... How long should I wait to see if I start smelling like syrup or if I need to add more?

Sent from my phone