Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #31
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Need Help with Thrifty GF Diet

check out www.bountifulbaskets.org and see if there is a location near you. they have awesome prices for produce, and some extras too. might at least help your budget stretch some we love getting our basket

Advertisement

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #32
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife2002 View Post
check out www.bountifulbaskets.org and see if there is a location near you. they have awesome prices for produce, and some extras too. might at least help your budget stretch some we love getting our basket
They don't even have my state on there. =( That sucks, because that looks like a really neat idea.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #33
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
Add more protien into your snacks so you will feel full for longer?? Try humus dip with bell peppers & other veggies, and Peanut butter or sunbutter with celery, apples ect. It sounds to me like you may just not be getting enough protien.
You may also find gluten free tortillas (my chi-chi's corn tortillas are cheap & gf) you can make a pb&j wrap, or make a big crock pot of pulled pork or carne Assad to eat throughout the week on sandwiches. You can even pair pulled pork with eggs for breakfast (yum!) & freeze leftovers.
We make hummus from dry beans... if you can figure out how to cook them that will save you a ton! Another poster mentioned not adding salt at the beginning and I second that! It hardens the skin making them harder to cook through. If you can find it adding a piece of kombu (it's a sea vegetable, check near asian foods) to your beans while cooking will give them a salty flavor without hardening them (plus it helps break down the beans a bit so they're not so hard to digest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
You've gotten some good advice so far. I'd like to just add, that remember beans, rice, and potatoes are your friend. They are cheap and filling, and GF/DF. Corn tortillas are another cheap food. Mexican and asian food can be made GF/DF very easily. Also lots of soups and stews are naturally GF.
Absolutely, to all but especially the bolded! We buy those and lentils and oats in bulk. Oats are great too, granola, oatmeal, toppings for desserts, filler in meatloaf, etc.

It sounds like you have a lack of resources in your area, but any chance azure standard delivers to where you are? We're able to get organic apples for ~$1/lb, organic onions for about the same. GF oats, rice, beans, etc are all really cheap through them too.

When it's farm season we buy into a local CSA and stock up as well. We freeze, dry, and can a lot of produce when it's in season- much cheaper that way! Farmers markets are your friend.

Last thing- give yourself a little time. I think it's completely normal to have an adjustment period, after all you're learning a completely new way to eat!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote