Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #31
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Paying bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I'm at how so many of you can pay all the bills with one paycheck. I'm jealous!
glad I'm not the only one!

I pay some bills out of each check, depending on when theyre due. I have changed a few due dates too, and I think I need to change some around again

Advertisement

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #32
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
dh doesnt spend any money lol he's weird
That is my husband for small things at least. If something comes up and he's going to need to work late (i.e miss dinner)...I always tell him to run out and get something (b/c working late usually means like 11pm when it happens), but he's rather starve than go spend $7 on a meal at McDonalds. So, that is exactly what he does. He starves and then comes home and probably eats $7 worth of junk food

Now big things...he doesn't have a problem spending money on...he just bought himself a $2K camera. LOL
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #33
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomoma View Post
That is a good idea but I recommend anyone else that wants to do that check there bank policies. I know ours only allows us to withdraw from savings 6 times quarterly. Silly I know, but once we tried that I got a little warning in the mail that if it happened again it would no longer be a savings account.
This is the reason we have 4 checking accounts . No limits on moving the money. I just told them I didn't want checks or debit cards for the other 3 accounts. Not a problem.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #34
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I just float an extra grand in my checking account and pay the bills as they come in or have them auto pay. The bigger bills are separated by enough time that we should have at least a paycheck if not two between them. Obviously this won't work for you if your DH sees money in the bank as license to spend. I agree with the other ladies that the solution for that is to put him on a budget - either a separate checking account with just his money in it, or a cash budget.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #35
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most of our bills are on autopay. I pay the ones that aren't (credit cards and water bill) on the same date once a month (when my phone reminds me ). One paycheck definitely does not cover all bills, but we keep a big buffer in our checking account. I don't ever spend money directly out of our account for living expenses. Everything is put on credit cards and the balance is paid in full each month. I get a bit panicky if our checking balance ever dips below a months salary.

We have Amex cards and the charges on the bill are divided so we can see who spent what. I can tell dh to cool it on eating out if his bill is high one month, or be more careful at the grocery store in my spending was too high.

ETA: we acquired our savings/buffers at a time early in our marriage when we were making VERY little money. It was tough. NO unnecessary spending, bare bones necessities (no cell, cable, eating out), cheap food , etc. It was SO worth it though to get into a position where we aren't worried about a bill getting paid. We have weathered TWO periods of unemployment and big pay cuts without needing assistance because of it.

Last edited by syfitz; 01-12-2013 at 10:33 AM.
syfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #36
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I ended all of our credit cards and we are paying off the balance so I would have to reopen one to do the credit card route. That seems pretty popular.. The whole paying off the balance at the end of the month. Is there some kind of bonus or reason for doing it this way?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #37
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

My husband gets paid bi-weekly, so I took all the bills and divided them between the first paycheck and the second paycheck of the month. I had to balance them to make sure we weren't too bill-heavy out of one check. I took our 2 biggest bills, rent and the car payment, and called to switch my car payment due date so that rent comes out of the last check of the month, and the car payment comes out the following check. SO, our bill paying looks like this:

(DH just got paid January 10th)

January 10th -
*Car Payment $300
*Credit Card 1 $100
*Internet $39
*Verizon $137 (cell phones)
*Car Insurance $94
*Gas $100
*Groceries $150

and then the next paycheck:

January 24th-

*Rent $500
*Utilities $234
*Credit Card 2 $50
*DirecTV $75
*Student Loan $100
*Gas $100
*Groceries $150

Anything leftover after the bills are paid, gets withdrawn into cash. DH and I each get $40 of blow money, the rest goes into an envelope in our safe (for now). We've had a lot of unexpected expenses come up in the last 2 months so all our extra has been going towards that.

ETA: I just alternate payments like that, every month. If we are in a month where there are 3 paychecks, I may re-distribute bills for that month, or just take the extra paycheck and bank it.
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
I ended all of our credit cards and we are paying off the balance so I would have to reopen one to do the credit card route. That seems pretty popular.. The whole paying off the balance at the end of the month. Is there some kind of bonus or reason for doing it this way?
One of the concerns with using a credit card for everything is that it's easy to fall into the trap of paying for this months groceries with next month's money. By paying it off at the end of the month, you start fresh with the new month and don't fall into that trap.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #39
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
We earn cash back and rewards by using credit and never pay any fees or interest because they are paid in full each month. Of course, this doesn't work for everyone. Neither one of us has spending issues. We don't spend what we don't have and would never feel comfortable carrying a balance on a cc (aside from interest free/same as cash deals for big purchases. We do that sometimes rather than take from savings for big ticket items). If my dh wasn't mindful of spending, I'd just give him his own spending account or a cash allowance.