Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Poop Question/Advice

apples are not a laxative.

The BRAT diet stops diahhrea. BRAT = Bananas, Rice, Apples (or applesauce) and Toast. Don't give him any of those things.

Personally, we have had great success with either STRAIGHT apple juice (the juice is not constipating like the fruit is), OR straight prune juice. Do not dilute it with water. And give like 2-4 oz. You'll get a nice huge blowout, usually within 6 hours or less (IME). And a happy baby boy.

IMO, this is way less invasive than a suppository or mirilax..... although still not my fave thing to do b/c of the sugar in juice..... but if I have to pick something, this is my go-to method for constipation.

If he is nursing, you can also drink some Smooth Move tea yourself and then nurse him, he should get some from you (accdg to my MW when my YDD was constipated). Or perhaps (if you ask some medical professional) you could offer him a small bit of it, too.

Hope he feels better soon!

Advertisement

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-13-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
apples are not a laxative.

The BRAT diet stops diahhrea. BRAT = Bananas, Rice, Apples (or applesauce) and Toast. Don't give him any of those things.

Personally, we have had great success with either STRAIGHT apple juice (the juice is not constipating like the fruit is), OR straight prune juice. Do not dilute it with water. And give like 2-4 oz. You'll get a nice huge blowout, usually within 6 hours or less (IME). And a happy baby boy.

IMO, this is way less invasive than a suppository or mirilax..... although still not my fave thing to do b/c of the sugar in juice..... but if I have to pick something, this is my go-to method for constipation.

If he is nursing, you can also drink some Smooth Move tea yourself and then nurse him, he should get some from you (accdg to my MW when my YDD was constipated). Or perhaps (if you ask some medical professional) you could offer him a small bit of it, too.

Hope he feels better soon!
I will try the juice. I was confusing apples with the juice for sure. He had apple with bananas for lunch.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I would wait to see Sindee you just started.what did you start with for good.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Additional liquids, if it's constipation. My ds breast feeds more & if he's really uncomfortable I do a bit of non diluted pear juice. He only has my milk or water otherwise & it really seems to help get things moving. Also, if it's teething his tummy might be bothering him too. Both of my kiddos got runny noses & upset tummies while teething. Double whammy! Good luck! Hope he feels better soon.
Liaklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

He has had all veggies, fruits, and meats so far with no issues. We just started food 2 times per day and every day verses breastmilk being the most of his food in the last week.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaklong View Post
Additional liquids, if it's constipation. My ds breast feeds more & if he's really uncomfortable I do a bit of non diluted pear juice. He only has my milk or water otherwise & it really seems to help get things moving. Also, if it's teething his tummy might be bothering him too. Both of my kiddos got runny noses & upset tummies while teething. Double whammy! Good luck! Hope he feels better soon.
This is what could be the issue as he just got 4 teeth.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
I will try the juice. I was confusing apples with the juice for sure. He had apple with bananas for lunch.
Yea, we went through a phase where all my YDD would eat as far as solids went were things like bananas, crackers, and bread. She wound up constipated a LOT b/c I couldn't nurse her anymore and she was just miserable.

I was very worried. She went 8 days without a bowel movement!!! I started panicking.

But some prune juice in a sippy cup did the trick and made her explode out of like 5 diapers over the course of a day or two. It was gross and awful to clean, but she really needed it. She was like a different kid.

From then on, I included a bit of juice with her meals b/c she would NOT eat fruit and w/o the juice she was absolutely completely stopped up. If I forgot the juice for a day (b/c my other two kids only got water to drink for their first 3 yrs of life - I am typically ANTI-juice for little babies), she would get very, very, very constipated, and bleed and tear when she had a BM.

Ugh. Motherhood is hard sometimes!

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-13-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
mkrisel
Registered Users

Our pediatrician recommended juices that start with a p-pear or prune for constipation. His words were along the lines if she needs a little juice for medicinal purposes..,and something about juice being better than meds (unless necessary of course)
Good luck! Hope you find the cause and he gets some relief soon!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I am going to get him some juice today. He still has not gone. He really needs a good poop. I am sure he will fill a few diapers.