Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #31
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I don't drink at all while pregnant or nursing. I don't drink really when not pregnant or nursing so it's not a change for me. I am afraid of the unknown (in many aspects, not just of alcohol and nursing) and that's enough to deter me.

I cringe when I see women who are pregnant with a drink. It's just not something I can get used to. In my head, its the same as seeing a pregnant woman smoke, which I see fairly frequently around here. I don't think 'wow what a horrible woman!' or anything, it's just hard to see.

Advertisement

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #32
Chamomile Girl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Drinking while breastfeeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinandashlynsmommy View Post
LOL that's totally different! I know women who would drink a beer or full glass of wine throughout pregnancy. That's unacceptable in my opinion.
Unacceptable is pretty harsh.

IRT breastfeeding, from what I understand the concentration of alcohol in your milk is the same as in your blood. Thus someone would have to drink enough to put their life in danger in order for there to be a dangerous concentration in their breastmilk.

Of course by then the real issue would be the danger of providing childcare while impaired. And really, when it comes to drinking with littles this is the real issue to me.
Chamomile Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #33
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
Unacceptable is pretty harsh.

IRT breastfeeding, from what I understand the concentration of alcohol in your milk is the same as in your blood. Thus someone would have to drink enough to put their life in danger in order for there to be a dangerous concentration in their breastmilk.

Of course by then the real issue would be the danger of providing childcare while impaired. And really, when it comes to drinking with littles this is the real issue to me.
I think she was referring to drinking as unacceptable during pregnancy. Which is obviously a different animal because the content of a pregnant woman's blood stream directly effects the content of the baby's bloodstream.

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 01-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #34
Chamomile Girl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
I think she was referring to drinking as unacceptable during pregnancy. Which is obviously a different animal because the content of a pregnant woman's blood stream directly effects the content of the baby's bloodstream.
I know. I still think that's pretty harsh.

Doctors in the US will not ever advise to a safe level of drinking during pregnancy because of liability. And its not like you ask for volunteers to do a study. So US doctors go for the abstinence recommendation because it is safer for them.

British recommendations are more lax; the NHS states that one or two drinks a week (after the first trimester) should have no detrimental effect. So moderation.

The truth is that nobody knows for sure because you can't do ethical scientific studies on pregnant women.

I'm not a big fan of fearmongering, personally, which is what I see the US attitude as being.

You can make the same arguments for caffeine. Or really, about anything since studies cannot be done.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #35
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I just really don't think its a big deal to skip the alcohol while pregnant. With alcohol its really easy to pour 8oz of wine instead of 5 or let 1 beer turn into 2 or 3. I really think its a minor sacrifice and not a risk I am willing to take with my babies while our blood vessels are intertwined.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
Chamomile Girl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I just really don't think its a big deal to skip the alcohol while pregnant. With alcohol its really easy to pour 8oz of wine instead of 5 or let 1 beer turn into 2 or 3. I really think its a minor sacrifice and not a risk I am willing to take with my babies while our blood vessels are intertwined.
Ok. Totes cool and your choice.

But to state that the risk is "unacceptable" means that one is bringing pretty harsh judgement on others that are making different choices.

That is the part that doesn't sit well with me. As mothers we get judged for so much.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #37
austinandashlynsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Yes, this. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but as a parent, we make sacrifices and if alcohol (drugs or cigarettes as well for that matter) is so important that you can't refrain for a few months, then you aren't putting your unborn baby first. As stated, no one knows the actual risk or how much is really safe for sure, so is that glass of wine or beer really worth the unknown risk? Everyone is entitled to their thoughts and opinions but this is one of many things I feel strongly about.
austinandashlynsmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #38
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't say it's safer than formula feeding, because handling your baby while drunk is a risk in itself, either way you choose to feed. But for the sake of the alcohol only, getting your baby drunk is extremely unlikely through breastmilk. If you got drunk with a bottle of wine (the whole bottle) and had a BAC of roughly .2 (4-5 drinks for a 120lb female) that means that 2 tenths of a percent of your blood and breastmilk is alcohol. You would basically be giving your baby a drink of milk with the same amount, but probably less, alcohol than a non-alcoholic beer. Pair that with the fact that your baby will probably only take 2-4oz of breastmilk during that middle of the night feeding, it's not a whole lot, and certainly not enough to get baby drunk. Putting a couple drops of 80 proof liquor, at 40% alcohol, on your baby's gums to ease teething would probably put more alcohol into their system than bf'ing while drunk. Not that I condone these things, but just saying... It's unlikely to cause any problems.
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #39
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyZ of 2
I wouldn't say it's safer than formula feeding, because handling your baby while drunk is a risk in itself, either way you choose to feed. But for the sake of the alcohol only, getting your baby drunk is extremely unlikely through breastmilk. If you got drunk with a bottle of wine (the whole bottle) and had a BAC of roughly .2 (4-5 drinks for a 120lb female) that means that 2 tenths of a percent of your blood and breastmilk is alcohol. You would basically be giving your baby a drink of milk with the same amount, but probably less, alcohol than a non-alcoholic beer. Pair that with the fact that your baby will probably only take 2-4oz of breastmilk during that middle of the night feeding, it's not a whole lot, and certainly not enough to get baby drunk. Putting a couple drops of 80 proof liquor, at 40% alcohol, on your baby's gums to ease teething would probably put more alcohol into their system than bf'ing while drunk. Not that I condone these things, but just saying... It's unlikely to cause any problems.
Oh, and to add to this- with the same calculations, if you were passed-out dying from alcohol poisoning with a blood alcohol content of 2.00, and breastfed, you'd be giving your baby a drink with a 2% alcohol content, or a 4 proof "liquor". Even if your baby took 10 oz of breastmilk with this concentration, it's still unlikely that your baby would get drunk, kwim?
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #40
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

I drink a couple of Blue Moons a week, while I am nursing. I've noticed that if DS is having his evening fussy time and I am frazzled from a long day, one beer helps the milk flow more to soothe him, not to mention it relaxes me.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote