Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o Why do you want your kids to have CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
Why? even if you pay for it they won't? what is the thought behind saying no?
it costs about $2000 ... and it isn't guarenteed. Especially if you already had shingles

Advertisement

Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #22
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
it costs about $2000 ... and it isn't guarenteed. Especially if you already had shingles
that much??? eeeeks

is that why they refuse it? just on cost?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
As a person that has had shingles every year for the past 20+ years it sucks!

And as far as the shingles vac...you can't get it until you are 50 (which they just decreased from 60). Even for those that get Shingles regularly they wont do it

I made sure my kids got the cp vac because I don't want them to go through what I have
ugh, yesI can sympathize. I had CP twice, shingles twice. I can't imagine having it every year.

I delay vaxing and I waited quite a while but ultimately I did do the vaxine. I would never purposley expose my children to it. Just because severe cases are rare doesn't make me want to let them get it.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
When adults (who had CP as kids) are around kids with chicken pox they get a sort of natural "booster shot" which helps keep them from getting shingles. People who typically got shingles were much older, with weaker immune systems who hadn't been exposed to CP for a long time. Shingles are on the rise because adults aren't exposed to chicken pox anymore.

Interesting though-- in the past children RARELY ever got shingles. Now, with the chicken pox vaccine, kids are getting shingles. While the CP vaccine may save kids from CP, it's creating other side effects that may be worse.
exactly. And now to avoid the resulting Shingles that comes from this, we have a $2000 vax that you can only get if you are over the age of 50...
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
exactly. And now to avoid the resulting Shingles that comes from this, we have a $2000 vax that you can only get if you are over the age of 50...
I think people are getting shingles more because our immune systems are crappy. I don't remember exactly when the shot came out but I think it's a little early to assume it's the shot that is leading to more instances of shingles.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #26
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
I think people are getting shingles more because our immune systems are crappy. I don't remember exactly when the shot came out but I think it's a little early to assume it's the shot that is leading to more instances of shingles.
I agree that it is also b/c our immune systems are worse now.

But I think that has to do with our typical diet.

I think the vax certainly doesn't HELP the situation.

I've only heard of the Shingles vax being around for the past 10 yrs. But that doesn't mean it didn't exist. I'm not well read on it.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #27
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post

I also think the vax is completely re-donk-u-lous, created for the convenience of working parents, so no one has to take 2 weeks off work while their kid gets over it.

There are many public schools here in NJ that if your child misses 10 days total in a school year your child has to repeat the grade.

Personally as a working parent I would LOVE to stay home for 2 weeks instead of going to work. Of course my work only allows for 5 sick days a year. When I was in high school my history teacher at that time had a 4 year old daughter die during the school year from complications related to her getting the chicken pox.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #28
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
Because I do not want my kids to be 24 like I was when I got them. They are worse in adults. I was naturally immune as a child and obviously out grew it. I rather my kids get it while young. Most people do not get shingles. It is most common in immunosuppressed persons and those with stress who got CP before a year old.
I'm not immunosuppressed and had CP at age 6 and I developed shingles at age 19.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #29
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have very serious concerns about this vax in particular and I would rather my kids get cp now and get it over with than get it as an adult.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #30
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
When adults (who had CP as kids) are around kids with chicken pox they get a sort of natural "booster shot" which helps keep them from getting shingles. People who typically got shingles were much older, with weaker immune systems who hadn't been exposed to CP for a long time. Shingles are on the rise because adults aren't exposed to chicken pox anymore.

Interesting though-- in the past children RARELY ever got shingles. Now, with the chicken pox vaccine, kids are getting shingles. While the CP vaccine may save kids from CP, it's creating other side effects that may be worse.
I was told Shingles comes on when some one is around some one with CP am I wrong?

I will say all my friends mostly got Shingles before the vaccine was heavily in use, I mean it has only been around for 20 years and not all of that time was it required. I am really curious about the numbers.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote