Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dinner tonight! (and/or tomorrow) from a crockpotted chicken

I took a whole chicken and crockpoted it last night, in water. So the meat might be a tiny bit bland instead of roasting it. My husband has been commenting that he wants more interesting meals (he's right!). and I want more healthy meals. This is either for tonight's dinner or tomorrow's, if I can't get myself together tonight. But I also want ideas for future roasters; we eat chicken a lot (and its usually boring...).

Notes:
- No dairy, eggs, or peanuts allowed in DD's diet.
- I've already removed the meat from the bone. Much is shredded.
- trying to cut carbs to help with weight loss

I don't have a lot of ingredients in the house now, which is really out of the ordinary. But my husband is already planning on at least hitting the store for some frozen veggies if nothing else Here's what I have that I can think of...
- fresh basil that needs eating as its hitting the grow light.
- chicken broth (bones boiling down all day!)
- lotsa beans
- rice
- potatoes, from mom.....gotta figure out how to use these...
- carrots
- celery

Whatcha got??

Advertisement

ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
ZnBmama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Dinner tonight! (and/or tomorrow) from a crockpotted chicken

Chicken/rice soup

Hunting and pecking for fresh baby and children's deals! Follow me! CheapMamaChick on Facebook
& Cheapmamachick.com
ZnBmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chicken "fried" rice http://www.laaloosh.com/2009/01/11/w...d-rice-recipe/ we do one similar to this minus the eggs.

Chicken and dumplings

Chicken pot pie

Chicken and rice http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...IIDDC04T&e=499 You can use shredded chicken and skip the almonds (if you avoid tree nuts, we do).

Enchiladas- keep the cheese of of your dd's (we do this for my dd who has a dairy sensitivity, she also has a peanut allergy)

Barb shredded chicken sandwiches
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnBmama View Post
Chicken/rice soup
You know I've always wanted to make this...I should look up a good recipe for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Chicken "fried" rice http://www.laaloosh.com/2009/01/11/w...d-rice-recipe/ we do one similar to this minus the eggs.

Chicken and dumplings

Chicken pot pie

Chicken and rice http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...IIDDC04T&e=499 You can use shredded chicken and skip the almonds (if you avoid tree nuts, we do).

Enchiladas- keep the cheese of of your dd's (we do this for my dd who has a dairy sensitivity, she also has a peanut allergy)

Barb shredded chicken sandwiches
I share your child's birthday! ok, well not the year.

That Chicken and rice dish looks amazing. Well minus the corn. I'm not a corn fan.

Enchiladas sounds really nice. I have been doing a lot of wraps, filling with beans and taco meat and whatever veggies are around. Love them, so that would be similar but different.

We bit the bullet and got take out tonight, something we rarely do, as my husband and DD were out late. So I've got the chicken ready for tomorrow night's dinner.

Thanks ladies!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do what I call poor man's dinner, but, it's really a chicken skillet meal. Basically, I cook the veggies on the stove in Italian dressing (or whatever topping is your preference) then add the chicken and rice. Typically it's made with raw chicken (cooking it in Italian dressing before cooking veggies) but last time, I used shredded chicken and it was fine. The original recipe called for you to add water and minute rice to the mix and cook until the rice was done, but I don't like using minute rice, so I just cook the rice seperately and add it all together at the end. Then, we like to add a handful of cheddar cheese to the ends so it melts all the way through, but obviously, you'd either want to add to each plate, or take some out for your DD.

If that didn't make sense, let me know and I'll write it out nicer.

ETA - We also do chicken pot pie, both in the pie shell and the soup version, quasidillas, various types of chicken soup and just eat the chicken.

Last edited by hbee; 01-12-2013 at 05:56 AM.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am making buffalo chicken dip. My older son loves it and he is watching football later today.

Chicken Bean Soup (have to soak the beans, so this will more than likely be made overnight in the crockpot or tomorrow).

Chicken Ziti-ziti, chicken, sauce and mozz cheese (you could skip the cheese for your daughter's portion).
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
I do what I call poor man's dinner, but, it's really a chicken skillet meal. Basically, I cook the veggies on the stove in Italian dressing (or whatever topping is your preference) then add the chicken and rice. Typically it's made with raw chicken (cooking it in Italian dressing before cooking veggies) but last time, I used shredded chicken and it was fine. The original recipe called for you to add water and minute rice to the mix and cook until the rice was done, but I don't like using minute rice, so I just cook the rice seperately and add it all together at the end. Then, we like to add a handful of cheddar cheese to the ends so it melts all the way through, but obviously, you'd either want to add to each plate, or take some out for your DD.
This is similar to waht I ended up doing...but I wasn't smart enough to cook the veggies together, LOL. I made rice and then cooked up some garbanzo beans I soaked overnight, refried beans, peas, cauliflower, and sprinked the chicken and fresh basil in there. We then put this dressing on it that's garlic and

It only used a little of the chicken for 2 meals, and so we also made a HUGE pot of soup - chicken and broth, with tons of veggies and beans and barley. It was fun b/c both my husband and I made both meals together at the same time, so we both made input.

I need to learn how to make a chicken pot pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmom2boyz View Post
I am making buffalo chicken dip. My older son loves it and he is watching football later today.

Chicken Bean Soup (have to soak the beans, so this will more than likely be made overnight in the crockpot or tomorrow).

Chicken Ziti-ziti, chicken, sauce and mozz cheese (you could skip the cheese for your daughter's portion).
Wow I think my husband would LOVE that buffalo chicken dip! I'm not seeing a way that my DD could eat it though, LOL.

Wow there are tons of Chicken Bean Soup recipes. Do you know of one that doesn't use tomatoes?