Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
What category...

do you put party supplies under?? Like for your kids' birthday parties. Is it the same as the gift fund? Household?

What about batteries? Household? Obviously the 9V for the smoke detectors go under household. But everything else too? We go through a lot of AAs with the kids' toys.

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Re: What category...

I have a "baby and kids' stuff" category
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaiya View Post
I have a "baby and kids' stuff" category
Same here. I count speech therapy as its own category, childcare as its own category, and count disposable diapers as groceries just because I am buying them at the store and I'm too lazy to do the record keeping any other way. Anything else specifically for the boys - toys, clothes, books, swim lessons - is in the "kids" category so I'd probably put those things there. I don't know what your categories are, though. It may also make sense in an "entertainment" category.

I am starting to include any disposable household purchase, like batteries and aluminum foil and light bulbs and paper towels, in the grocery category. There is no way that I am going to keep track of whether the batteries are for the smoke detector or the kid's toys!

Last edited by BSWmama; 01-15-2013 at 11:27 AM.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All of the above would go in the "misc" category of my budget. However, i am a more "general" budgeter and don't ever get super specific. Batteries "might" go in to the "grocery" budget depending on how many i needed. If it was sub-$10 and i just grabbed a pack at WalMart i wouldn't bother to seperate it out. If i am buying a HUGE pack at sams that's $20, yeah, I'd put it as a "misc" expense.

But if there is a party i know i will be planning i typically set aside cash in an envelope for it before it happens. As for batteries - i buy two or three huge packs on black friday at home depot or lowes when they are fairly cheap (as cheap as they get really) and that lasts us the year.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses
do you put party supplies under?? Like for your kids' birthday parties. Is it the same as the gift fund? Household?

What about batteries? Household? Obviously the 9V for the smoke detectors go under household. But everything else too? We go through a lot of AAs with the kids' toys.
Party supplies are in the gift fund
batteries are in toiletries as I buy cheap dollar packs at the dollar store where I get the toiletries but that's me
frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

can you buy rechargeable batteries? that saves us a ton
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote