Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #41
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Drinking while breastfeeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
Ok. Totes cool and your choice.

But to state that the risk is "unacceptable" means that one is bringing pretty harsh judgement on others that are making different choices.

That is the part that doesn't sit well with me. As mothers we get judged for so much.
Your opinion that her comment about it being "unacceptable" is harsh judgement, is your opinion. You're telling her that her opinion is wrong... which, is not correct. It's her opinion. It can't be wrong.

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #42
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

The kellymom guidelines are word for word what I was taught during my lactation course. Taught by a woman who teaches DOCTORS about lactation.

I use the guidelines taught to me by those who use the research and their education on the matter to decide what's safe. Not just 'I don't think it's right so there for it isn't
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #43
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

I only drink when my babies are at an age where they are consistently sleeping through the night. Unfortunately for me, my third and most recent child decided to start doing that when she was a year old so I went a long time without a relaxing glass of wine at the end of a hectic day. Honestly though, it was no big deal to not drink.

As far as being pregnant and drinking- I have never done it and would never do it. Seems a little selfish to me for a pregnant woman to want to drink- yes, it is my body but I chose to make it into a human incubator for 9 months so the least I could do would be to not purposefully consume anything toxic to my baby. I also quit smoking the minute I found out I was pregnant with my first child.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #44
Chamomile Girl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Your opinion that her comment about it being "unacceptable" is harsh judgement, is your opinion. You're telling her that her opinion is wrong... which, is not correct. It's her opinion. It can't be wrong.
Well heck, by that logic my opinion can't be wrong either, now can it?

I didn't say she was wrong just that I felt her opinion was harsh. Perhaps ill informed would be closer.

And for the record, as a high school teacher who grades many, many "opinion papers", your opinion can absolutely be wrong if you misrepresent/misunderstand the facts. Some of my students are firmly of the belief that an opinion paper cannot get an F. I disabuse them of that notion.
Chamomile Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #45
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
Well heck, by that logic my opinion can't be wrong either, now can it?

I didn't say she was wrong just that I felt her opinion was harsh. Perhaps ill informed would be closer.

And for the record, as a high school teacher who grades many, many "opinion papers", your opinion can absolutely be wrong if you misrepresent/misunderstand the facts. Some of my students are firmly of the belief that an opinion paper cannot get an F. I disabuse them of that notion.
I wasn't trying to get all high school education and stuff.

In this situation, her opinion can't be wrong. Sorry.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #46
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyZ of 2 View Post
I wouldn't say it's safer than formula feeding, because handling your baby while drunk is a risk in itself, either way you choose to feed. But for the sake of the alcohol only, getting your baby drunk is extremely unlikely through breastmilk. If you got drunk with a bottle of wine (the whole bottle) and had a BAC of roughly .2 (4-5 drinks for a 120lb female) that means that 2 tenths of a percent of your blood and breastmilk is alcohol. You would basically be giving your baby a drink of milk with the same amount, but probably less, alcohol than a non-alcoholic beer. Pair that with the fact that your baby will probably only take 2-4oz of breastmilk during that middle of the night feeding, it's not a whole lot, and certainly not enough to get baby drunk. Putting a couple drops of 80 proof liquor, at 40% alcohol, on your baby's gums to ease teething would probably put more alcohol into their system than bf'ing while drunk. Not that I condone these things, but just saying... It's unlikely to cause any problems.
THANK YOU for doing the math! Geez, people act like you're giving baby a keg stand with one to two drinks! Science people! Yes, we do know more about this than you think.

Judgey judge! Also, I drank a little bit in the third trimester. My midwife recommended half a glass of wine to calm nonproductive contractions for the night so I can get some sleep.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #47
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Here are my thoughts. Drinking while pregnant- first and second trimester, no. Third- yes- one beer or small pour of wine consumed slowly. Drinking while BFing- yes, one or two beers, a glass of wine. Try to time it so that baby doesn't eat for a few hours. In my book, the biggest risk while drinking is not BFing but rather co- sleeping. I absolutely will not sleep with my baby if I'd had more than one beer in the last two hours. I sleep on the couch and come into the room to nurse. Even after the alcohol leaves my bloodstream I still feel groggy through the night.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #48
norrahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
During pregnancy- I don't drink.

While nursing- I will have a beer or two with dinner, and then just wait a while to nurse. I am not a huge drinker, but I am looking forward to having a beer once this baby comes. I also believe that a beer once in a while can help supply.
Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #49
Chamomile Girl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
Here are my thoughts. Drinking while pregnant- first and second trimester, no. Third- yes- one beer or small pour of wine consumed slowly. Drinking while BFing- yes, one or two beers, a glass of wine. Try to time it so that baby doesn't eat for a few hours. In my book, the biggest risk while drinking is not BFing but rather co- sleeping. I absolutely will not sleep with my baby if I'd had more than one beer in the last two hours. I sleep on the couch and come into the room to nurse. Even after the alcohol leaves my bloodstream I still feel groggy through the night.
Yah, this is a really good point. If I am going to have a glass of wine I time it so that its early...like at least six hours before bed, and I drink a lot of water in the meantime. Cosleeping is not something I'm willing to screw around with. Especially when baby is a noob.
Chamomile Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #50
rachelhf7
Registered Users

Doesn't the alcohol affect baby too though?
rachelhf7 is offline   Reply With Quote