Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm also in the not mentioning it group, if my dh wasn't supportive I would just ignore it, he's not the one nursing the baby or around the baby 24/7, I'm sure hed get tired of talking before I would get tired of hearing it. My mom said I self weaned at 11months, never took a bottle just stopped on my own. I was expecting something like that wih DD but totally open to bfing to 24 months and beyond. She is 15 months right now and is showing signs of weaning, she really only nurses once a day, sometimes I offer and she refuses entirely or she'll latch for 3 seconds and then push away. I feel really good knowing this is her choice, she is the one who's ready, and I'm not forcing anything on her.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Extended Breastfeeding

Like others have said, I'd just wait it out. If you'd told my DH at 4 months that we'd still be nursing at 1.5+ yrs, he probably would have been weirded out. *I* probably would have been weirded out, too Now it doesn't phase him at all and he sees how much she still needs it. He stopped asking "how long are you going to breastfeed?" around 8 months or so.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH is super supportive. DS self weaned around 19 mos. I was pregnant then so maybe the milk changed. Idk. I planned on bfing for at least 1 year then I changed my mind and was just going to let DS decide and he decided! Now with DD, I think I'll do the same.....her choice.
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dh occasionally comments that he thinks our 3 yo is getting a bit big to nurse. I tried to show him information such as this.

In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
29% of energy requirements
43% of protein requirements
36% of calcium requirements
75% of vitamin A requirements
76% of folate requirements
94% of vitamin B12 requirements
60% of vitamin C requirements
– Dewey 2001

He wasn't interested in reading.

At the end it is mine and our child's nursing relationship.
After nursing our first for 4 years he has gotten used to it.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
NSB
Registered Users
seller

As *if* my DH would get a say in nursing!!! (said with a smile on my face, but still not joking.)
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
gina1921
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofthemoonsglow View Post
My dh was weird about it when i mentioned it when my dd was a few months old. I just didnt bring it up. After she was 1 I just kept nursing her and he realized shes still so little at 1 and she was not ready to wean. Shes 18 months now and dh has mentioned weaning at 2. But im going to do the same thing and just ignore it. Shell self wean eventially.
Yeap! This is kind of the situation at our house. My baby girl is 18mo and my husband (and his family) have asked many times about when she will wean. Even my pediatrician mentioned that the baby would wean at 1 year. I was a little stressed out about it and almost wanting to wean after a year but she loves the breast so much, and it's so easy to breastfeed instead of washing/packing sippy cups! I offer her milk sippys but she doesn't want them usually. As for my husband, he gets a little cracked up now at her lunging at my breast, the toddler grins and squeals when she's about to nurse, and I just look at him and say "how can I take this away when she loves it so much?" He doesn't exactly agree, and sometimes makes comments about how "that's why it would be easier, or she needs a sippy," which I ignore or even casually agree with, (haha), but when baby and mommy want it, who's to argue? And, for the record, she'll wean when she wants to. It's my gift to her.

Last edited by gina1921; 01-19-2013 at 10:29 AM.
gina1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My dd will be one in a few days (24th) and she still NEEDS to nurse. My dh was thinking I should wean at 6 months. He has totally changed his tune now. He says that I can nurse as long as dd wants as long as she is not still nursing in kindergarten. My problem now is my mother. She has asked me multiple times in the last month when I will be weaning her. She want to have a sleep over with both my kids... Which is fine, but it is not a reason for me to wean.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
Like others have said, I'd just wait it out. If you'd told my DH at 4 months that we'd still be nursing at 1.5+ yrs, he probably would have been weirded out. *I* probably would have been weirded out, too Now it doesn't phase him at all and he sees how much she still needs it. He stopped asking "how long are you going to breastfeed?" around 8 months or so.
This is kind of how things worked around our house. My DH is not unsupportive, but he really didn't know much about breastfeeding or toddler nursing (and really, I didn't either). We have all grown and changed in our opinions and feelings since my DD was a baby, including DH.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
mamabby
Registered Users
seller

I'm a lucky wife because my dh grew up with a lactation consultant for a mama he knows better than to say anything about weaning ds and thanks me for the gift I am giving him.
mamabby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #20
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD2 is 14 months old and she is still nursing before bedtime- my DH hasn't batted and eye!

When DS was 1 I slowly weaned him because I honestly had no idea that people nursed beyond one year. He was seeing a pediatric gastrologist for a bit due to blood in his stool (milk allergy) and when I asked if I should nurse him past one due to his allergy the Dr. said that it was unnecessary nutritionally so I thought what he said was true.

DD1 was weaned at 1 very quickly because I was getting my wisdom teeth taken out- I look back now and feel so bad that I weaned her so quick.

DD2 is 14 months old and I nurse her every night before she goes to bed. It is out little thing that we have and I will continue to do it unit she isn't interested anymore. My DH isn't bothered at all by it because he sees how much she enjoys nursing. I think it helps that I am finally comfortable with him seeing my boobs when we are having mommy/daddy time- he could care less about how long I nurse as long as he gets his booby time