Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's Wednesday

And as if I am not already annoyed with my family today, Ian asked while we are in the store, "Why are all the microwaves made in China? Why can't we buy one made in the USA?" Because, you know, that is a leading hot-button issue with 4YO boys here. And then I realize, well, that is probably why I can't find a Whirlpool microwave in stock anywhere, because they are actually MADE IN MICHIGAN INSTEAD OF CHINA. But I looked it up, and while most of what they make is made here, I think pretty much all non built-in microwaves are made in China.

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should probably translate for Janine. So in the US right now, I can go buy a dorm size microwave for $50 anywhere, but no matter the brand it is made in China. There are a handful of US appliance makers, but most of them are not carried by big stores, and the few that are are very expensive high-end brands. And the Bosch and Miele etc you are familiar with there is high-end expensive here.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #23
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
I should probably translate for Janine. So in the US right now, I can go buy a dorm size microwave for $50 anywhere, but no matter the brand it is made in China. There are a handful of US appliance makers, but most of them are not carried by big stores, and the few that are are very expensive high-end brands. And the Bosch and Miele etc you are familiar with there is high-end expensive here.
I know those names but I dont have anything made by them.

LG is the fridge/freezer (Korean)
Amica is the DW and Oven...German but very young company. From 1990.
Braun is my hairdryer...but it's OLD. Germany company from 1921
Privileg is our Washing machine....Germany company, things made for a shop called Quelle.
Bauknecht is our dryer. A German comany from 1919
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, that's what I meant Janine, those were the German brands I could remember. European countries tend to stick to their own brands for appliances as much as they can, and default to German ones if they don't exist. Like When I was in Amsterdam, everything was Philips. In Europe it seems they don't generally sell the cheaper products from China like they do here. Not on the same scale anyway.

The US used to be that way, but now most of the "US" brands are made in China.

I swear this is not a huge political issue for me, I don't normally discuss it at all. Ian mentioned it because he is trying to understand geography, and it confuses him we are so close to Canada and it is not that hard for us to leave the US. So it's hard for him to grasp that most other countries are far away. And when he sees how far away China is, and he sees so many of his toys and stuff we buy are made in China, it implodes his brain. If it is so difficult for us as a family to go to Europe, why is it easy for all the stuff to be from China, that kind of thing.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
First mistake...letting Raj measure and trusting him...NEVER trust San with a measuring tape when you need it correct
jwjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #26
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjbbrown View Post
First mistake...letting Raj measure and trusting him...NEVER trust San with a measuring tape when you need it correct
I know that's right. Seriously, last weekend I needed him to cut a piece of trim 64" long. Comes back with a piece not remotely close to 64". Evidently he just assumed the piece we bought was exactly 8 feet long and he subtracted the difference to make the cut. Who the fork thinks like that? Men do. IDK why I thought he could measure a cabinet. Sigh. I didn't ask hi to, he was trying to be helpful. I should have just looked at him and said, "You're so pretty. Don't worry, I'll do it."
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #27
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I know that's right. Seriously, last weekend I needed him to cut a piece of trim 64" long. Comes back with a piece not remotely close to 64". Evidently he just assumed the piece we bought was exactly 8 feet long and he subtracted the difference to make the cut. Who the fork thinks like that? Men do. IDK why I thought he could measure a cabinet. Sigh. I didn't ask hi to, he was trying to be helpful. I should have just looked at him and said, "You're so pretty. Don't worry, I'll do it."
Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #28
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Well, that's what I meant Janine, those were the German brands I could remember. European countries tend to stick to their own brands for appliances as much as they can, and default to German ones if they don't exist. Like When I was in Amsterdam, everything was Philips. In Europe it seems they don't generally sell the cheaper products from China like they do here. Not on the same scale anyway.

The US used to be that way, but now most of the "US" brands are made in China.

I swear this is not a huge political issue for me, I don't normally discuss it at all. Ian mentioned it because he is trying to understand geography, and it confuses him we are so close to Canada and it is not that hard for us to leave the US. So it's hard for him to grasp that most other countries are far away. And when he sees how far away China is, and he sees so many of his toys and stuff we buy are made in China, it implodes his brain. If it is so difficult for us as a family to go to Europe, why is it easy for all the stuff to be from China, that kind of thing.
Honestly my kids never ever think about that stuff. They play with their stuff and never even wonder where it came from.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #29
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, that's what happens when you have kids that figure out how to read by age 3. It sounds so great on paper, but then you have stuff like that happen. Or when you take them to the doctor, they look at the notices on the wall and say, "What is the Guardasil Vaccine? Is that the shot I'm going to get today?"
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The reason we taught MH what inappropriate means very early on. We can tell her that it is not the appropriate timecto talk about that and we will discuss it later. She understands the word and listens to us.
jwjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote