Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Question Is there hope for the hope chest?

Maybe I am doing this wrong! How did your hope chest building go?

I was trying to put some things together for my dd's hope chest, which I have yet to even buy for her yet. I keep looking for one on Craigslist, but so far, none have jumped out at me.

Some of the things I have set aside for her are complete sets of Corelle dishes, melamine dishes, custard cups, wine goblets, old fashioned glasses, measuring bowls, cups, spoons, etc.

Here's the problem, she doesn't like any of the stuff. It is all in like new condition and there are some really nice things here, since most of these were spare and I am trying to thin out and minimize our cabinets. This is not "junky" stuff.

She's 13 and I do not think she comprehends how helpful it will be when she doesn't have to go out and spend $$$ on these types of things for her first apartment or home.

Should I set the stuff aside for her anyway or just donate it since she doesn't like it? I am at a loss and just don't know what to do. I would have been thrilled if my mom had put this together for me. My mom gave me lots of items to start out with, but it wasn't a "here's your hope chest" kind of thing, it was more gradual over time, giving me things here and there from her home after I had already moved out. I remember always be grateful and happy for the gifts.

ETA: I created a board on Pinterest to keep up with the wishlist and some of the inventory of the chest. pinterest virtual hope chest

Advertisement

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 01-16-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would keep collecting for it but put it aside and don't mention it to her for a couple of years. 13 is an awkward age. Just give her time.
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Re: Is there hope for the hope chest?

Thanks, I am actually really emotional about it, because I felt sincerely bummed that she is even going to leave here someday and this was one way for me to tangibly work thru it.

I have always told her that if she and her future husband would like to, they can just live here with us until they find their first home. LOL

She has no idea how much I am going to miss her.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest daughter is gathering her own things for the time she leaves our home. We like different colors,textures etc.

Maybe let your daughter add things that she likes and picks out? A lot of stuff can be picked up really cheaply when the time comes. We currently only add things that are harder to find (older dishes like pyrex mixing bowls,fire king etc) or thing that were made by family that have special meaning.

Also, does she have a pinterest account? Pinterest has really helped me get an idea for my oldest daughters likes. She has lots of albums. Everything from humor to an album for her wedding
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
77Lipen
Registered Users

Yes, my so started a hope chest for his girls when he separated from his ex and they were just little. As they got older they went on and on about how 'dumb' it was... But when they graduated high school and moved into their own place...
Knock knock knock... Hey dad... Can I get my hope chest

It's just the age. Keep collecting. She'll appreciate it when the time comes.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would keep putting things aside for her. When she actually goes off to college or moves out she will be grateful to not have to buy so much. And when I was 13 I loved things cute and funky and colorful, I'm sure I wouldn't have been impressed by my mom's Corelle and measuring cups. But now my cupboard is full of Corelle

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's heartwarming to hear this ya'll. Thanks so much! I think I wll keep adding to it and I have a Pinterest board for some of the things that are "in the chest" already and have pinned a few things I want her to have.

pinterest virtual hope chest

I thought once everything got packed in the chest, this pinterest would help me keep inventory.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 01-16-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My mom showed me a large box of Le Creuset she was putting aside for me when I was in HS. I didn't care. She was totally hummed. When my husband and I bought our home she delivered it and I was thrilled. Give it time. She is too young to appreciate it and the moving out fantasies at that age are of freedom and independence and not of dishware. Dishware fantasies come with age and wisdom
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
My mom showed me a large box of Le Creuset she was putting aside for me when I was in HS. I didn't care. She was totally hummed. When my husband and I bought our home she delivered it and I was thrilled. Give it time. She is too young to appreciate it and the moving out fantasies at that age are of freedom and independence and not of dishware. Dishware fantasies come with age and wisdom
Oooh lala! I have 5 pieces of tha fab french cookware that I never use. Was thinking of putting it in the chest or selling it and buying a new chicken coop. LOL
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
MyLovely
Registered Users

Definitely keep it, but also keep in mind that it may just be her personality...she may just be very independent in that regard. I know I am! I get a lot of satisfaction from buying my own things. I always have, even back to the time I was 6 and would buy books with my tooth fairy money

In the meantime, I would say that you should only buy things that are very hard to come by, like vintage pyrex or little things that you just know she'll love (for me, it's anything shaped like a cat). What I would suggest is setting aside a little money from time to time. When she is getting to the point of graduating high school, you should have a nice little bit saved and you two will be able to shop together. The six months prior to me moving out, my mom and I had a date once a week. We would go out to lunch, to the movies and then to places like TJ Maxx to get household stuff. It was great!