Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #31
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgs
American Bulldogs sound like such an amazing breed! We are happy with just our guy right now but in the future we may add another larger breed dog and I would consider an American Bulldog........they sound wonderful. We also might be another rottweiler from the same breeder as Bosco.

If you walked into my house you wouldn't know I had a sheding dog.......but that takes a lot of upkeep and vacuming! Even with his shorter coat.
They truly are fantastic dogs!!

I'm the same as you when it comes to the shedding. I must clean daily and I bathe him about once a week, along with daily brushing. I couldn't handle it otherwise!

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #32
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Enable me...Boxers,Danes,Pitbulls,Bulldogs,etc

Can I ask a stupid question? I feel like this might be my opportunity.........is Chance from Homeward Bound and American Bulldog?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #33
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I realize dogs shed as we have had them for years but they shed on completely different levels of amounts. I should have phrased my post a bit differently. I will comment more in detail when I get to my computer as everyone's posts are so helpful!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #34
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Napua-I totally agree on the outside part. We had an outside dog for many years and I hated the fact that he was outside but after many attempts to convert him to a house dog he just wasn't happy. After Rocky passed away I swore off doing that again and we ripped down the kennel. I am sure it is manageable for some but for us he didn't get the attention he deserved being outside all of the time .
Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #35
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgs
Can I ask a stupid question? I feel like this might be my opportunity.........is Chance from Homeward Bound and American Bulldog?
Yep, sure is an AB!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #36
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemama
Napua-I totally agree on the outside part. We had an outside dog for many years and I hated the fact that he was outside but after many attempts to convert him to a house dog he just wasn't happy. After Rocky passed away I swore off doing that again and we ripped down the kennel. I am sure it is manageable for some but for us he didn't get the attention he deserved being outside all of the time .
Dogs are pack animals, ya know? So I think many people would have a hard time giving them the amount of attention they deserve if they are outside all the time.

My parents have the sweetest beagle and she loves to be outside. They live on 40 acres but she tends to stay right by the house on one of their decks...soaking up the sun. She still comes in and out throughout the day and sleeps inside every night. It's the perfect solution for them. I live in an apartment on a military base so my boy can't be outside without me. Good thing he's so laid back, lol.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #37
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ View Post

exactly. If you don't want dog hair, then don't get a dog. All dogs shed, period. You may not notice it as much due to color, length or thickness, but there will be shedding. Also, just because a dog has short hair doesn't mean it wont shed as much as those with a thicker longer coat. I have a weimaraner that has a silky short thin coat that doesnt have a fluffy down coat (like a Labrador, short hair, but yet thick coat). She sheds, and sheds and sheds. I vacuum more small silver eyelash sized weimaraer hair more than I have to the darker black doberman hair!

Dobermans are not bully breeds. The term "bully breeds" was initially used to refer to all dogs that were bred for the purpose of bull baiting. They're only associated with other bully breeds as being added to the "bad list" of common aggressive dogs (out of ignorance) but are not a bully breed. Like the chow chow and dalmatian, not bully breeds, but are listed with most BSL along with most bully breeds.
Yes. Technically you are right. They are not bully breeds but seen as tough bully dogs. The OP didn't ask for bully breeds because if she had we could have recommended breeds like pug or Boston terrier. She asked for large tough dogs. She even asked about danes so I thought I would throw Doberman out there. Everyone else made this a bully breed thread by talking about all the bull and bull descendent breeds.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #38
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

GET A PITTIE!!! I know so many people fear them and they get a bad rap but they are AMAZING dogs!!! I have one who is now almost 10 years old. I rescued her 7 years ago having no idea how she would be around kids. At the time I had 2 cats at home so I asked them to bring her in the cat room to see if she showed aggression. She walked in and promptly put her tail between her legs and ran away.

Once I got her home, she honestly thought she was a cat...complete with trying to lay on the back of the couch on top like the cats!

She is the biggest sweetheart, loves everyone. My son is now just over 2 and she adores him and is VERY patient. She allows him to climb all over her and frequently when she is laying in her dog bed, he will go lay with her and they cuddle. Its so sweet. She has also been amazingly sweet with my neice and nephew since their births and they are now 7 and 5.

She can be a little over excited and playful, but that's not a bad thing. My biggest complaint is she follows DS around when he has a snack hoping he drops something, but what dog doesnt? I have read tons of articles saying they make wonderful family pets and I would have 10 if I had the time

Please adopt if you get one! Frequently the pitbulls dont get adopted due to their reputations

Here are some pics of my baby Mia and DS

P.S I also grew up with Boxers and they are also great with kids
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #39
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
Yes. Technically you are right. They are not bully breeds but seen as tough bully dogs. The OP didn't ask for bully breeds because if she had we could have recommended breeds like pug or Boston terrier. She asked for large tough dogs. She even asked about danes so I thought I would throw Doberman out there. Everyone else made this a bully breed thread by talking about all the bull and bull descendent breeds.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
yeah, just tough a looking, but in no way bully breed.

heres our blue Doberman Pinscher (taken at under a year old. She turns 2yrs next month, so she has grown since.)-

and they're oh-so sweet looking with natural ears (ours was show cropped under breeder contract)-
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #40
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
Just get them all!!!!
Trust me if I could I totally would! I LOVE dogs!