Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #31
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear1208

It's way more shallow than a menstrual cup, but wider. Insertion wise I think the menstrual cup is slightly more difficult to insert, but similar, if that makes any sense
Thanks. I'm seriously considering this now. But I had insertion issues with the cup, so good to know it could be easier.

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #32
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

Thanks. I'm seriously considering this now. But I had insertion issues with the cup, so good to know it could be easier.
The cup has that weird suction that I think can make it hard to insert at first, but the diaphragm doesn't have that. You slide it in tucked, it expands inside on its own, and you just have to check that one edge is behind your pubic bone (which is really easy to do)
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #33
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Postpartum Birth Control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear1208 View Post
The cup has that weird suction that I think can make it hard to insert at first, but the diaphragm doesn't have that. You slide it in tucked, it expands inside on its own, and you just have to check that one edge is behind your pubic bone (which is really easy to do)
yes.

I couldn't use a menstrual cup. That's what made me think the cervical cap was a bad idea. I felt like my nose was being pulled out of my uterus when I tried a menstrual cup. OWWWWIE
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #34
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

yes.

I couldn't use a menstrual cup. That's what made me think the cervical cap was a bad idea. I felt like my nose was being pulled out of my uterus when I tried a menstrual cup. OWWWWIE
I know, right?! Took me forever to get used to the dang cup because of that suction lol. Thankfully the diaphragm has zero suction
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #35
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When can you be fitted for one? I'm pg right now, so I'm guessing not now, but how long do you have to wait after? We're considering this option after this baby arrives too - not sure we want to close that door completely yet, but would really like a little more space between babies! Reliable charting is really hard with my irregular cycle, not interested in condoms, and nothing hormonal, and can't go with an IUD ethically. So this looks like a good choice for us, I think.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #36
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
When can you be fitted for one? I'm pg right now, so I'm guessing not now, but how long do you have to wait after? We're considering this option after this baby arrives too - not sure we want to close that door completely yet, but would really like a little more space between babies! Reliable charting is really hard with my irregular cycle, not interested in condoms, and nothing hormonal, and can't go with an IUD ethically. So this looks like a good choice for us, I think.
I was fitted at my 6 week PP check.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #37
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good to know - thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #38
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
yea, pretty sure you have to wait at least 6 wks, b/c otherwise, your cervix is not returned to it's original size/shape enough to fit properly.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #39
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I saw some info on them that said you should be refitted after a weight change of 10lb +/-. I wouldn't be back at my pre-pregnant weight by 6 weeks, I don't think.
Was that a problem for you?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #40
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I saw some info on them that said you should be refitted after a weight change of 10lb +/-. I wouldn't be back at my pre-pregnant weight by 6 weeks, I don't think.
Was that a problem for you?
It wasn't for me, no.

I have seen the same advice about weight changes, but I remember it being a more significant amount of weight... like 30 lbs? I could be totally wrong, it's been a long time.

Just remember, it should fit in snugly, but not hurt. If it is slip-sliding around, you will probably notice (in my experience/opinion) and it will most likely be uncomfortable for you.

Accdg to this site, you should be refitted after you lose or gain 20% of your body weight. So for a woman weighing 150 lbs, that would be 30 lbs.

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-21-2013 at 03:05 PM.