Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #31
stephie_j24's Avatar
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern Arizona, for now :)
Posts: 1,976
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

We have been majorly off the wagon this week. Kids got the flu last weekend and we are still recovering. We tried to do school yesterday and today. But we are all so tired and cranky, it just wasn't working. Today, the kids were doing ok, but I was sooo short-fused and irritable from not feeling good that I just called it off. Guess we'll maybe go another week into the summer

Advertisement

__________________
Proud mommy to Addie and Noah
raisingroos.wordpress.com
stephie_j24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #32
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 13,402
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Schoolwork was done by the older two, but I admit I didn't check it, so I don't know how well they did on any of it. lol We did make clouds in a jar for DS's science, though, and they watched a Netflix video about animals that defy evolution, so I know science was covered. Didn't do a thing with YDD as far as schooling goes. Oh well. She's 5 and probably ahead anyway, so missing a day won't hurt her.

Tomorrow I really need to sit and make sure everything was correct from today before we move on. Especially for ODD's math. She's into pre-algebra now and I've heard several people say Math-U-See doesn't have enough practice in the higher grades, so I want to keep on top of it to make sure she's really understanding. She's just 7th grade, so if I need to switch, now would be a good time to do so -- early enough that she can get used to a new curriculum before the higher, harder maths.

We also have Friday lunch at church and we're moving books around. DH built me a new bookshelf to replace the short one in the living room, which is going to be moved into DS's room, so maybe he can actually put things away.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #33
mevans's Avatar
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 5,181
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Hi! Going to try and jump in here. Seems like a neat check-in thread to be a part of.

I have an 8 year old daughter, 6 year old son, and 18 month old girl destruct-o baby.

We use Abeka for language, Story of the World for history, Apologia for science, and Math-U-See for math (DD is almost halfway through Beta and DS is close to finishing Primer).
We are perpetually way behind.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!
__________________
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #34
croark's Avatar
croark
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: N LA
Posts: 888
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Welcome Michelle! Yeah, destruct o babies have a tendency to interrupt the school day. Alot. I'm sure that's helping u with staying perpetually behind ;-)
Btw, you have a nice ecclectic mix of curric there. How long have you been HSing?

Yesterday was crazy busy for us but we finished all school work. Today we hardly have anything to do so it's mainly house cleaning day and then we're going to pick up a lil girl to spend the night for the first time. She recently started going to our church and come to find out she is homeschooled! We are really excited because, til now, we haven't had any local HS friends. My oldest dd has been praying for a bff so we're hoping that she might be an answer. She's two years younger than my dd but she's a highly advanced lil girl. In 1st grade she was 4th grade level. Which is why she is now HSed. Even socially she seems very mature. Anyway, I'm rambling! We are just excited. I'm sure most of you know that friendships are totally possible for a HS family but it does require more effort than the general PS family. And it's really nice to see God answer a lil girl's simple prayer for a friend.
__________________
Homeschool Mama to 3 Lovely Girls!
Math U See, Bringing the Classics to Life, 5 Finger Paragraph, CLP Spelling, Daily Skill Builders Grammar, Inquisikids Science, Mystery of History, Explode the Code, Horizons Phonics

Last edited by croark; 01-18-2013 at 07:43 AM.
croark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #35
Britches~in~Stitches's Avatar
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 734
My Mood:
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

We had our first good day yesterday. There was still chaos, and attitude, but dd finished all of her MBtP. We're not doing the phonics or math this week until she gets used to the science, ss, and LA. Now that we have more projects, and books, things are going smoother. Here's to hoping it keeps getting smoother.

That's awesome croark! We're a part of a hs ballet class locally, and dd was able to invite a friend for her bday for the first time. It really made her, and the other little girl feel better about themselves, and hs. Friends make everything a little nicer, right?
__________________
SAHM homeschooling mom to K 7, C 5, M 4, E 2 and baby I.

Last edited by Britches~in~Stitches; 01-18-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #36
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,199
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Croark--yeah for a new friend! Hope the sleepover went well. We have a couple families in our church that homeschool, which is very nice. Actually, only one family in our church sends their kids to PS. The rest go to the local Christian acadamey. That makes it nice for my kiddos. I still wish we had a few more people we knew, and keep wanting to join the coop, but just haven't made time for it yet. Maybe next year.

Heather--Yeah for a great two days! So are you thinking that maybe it's his lack of confidence in reading that is giving him a bad attitude and holding him back? I know we'll all get to the fluent reading category eventually, but sometimes it's hard to keep the big picture in view when you are in the midst of things and struggling. At least it is for me. It's interesting to me to see how people do things differently and why...I specifically DON'T read the Bible reader to the kids--it seems to discourage Keegan that he just spent so long struggling with it and I can breeze through it. I do read them the story out of the Bible (we use KJV). As for how long it takes, on a good day, Rachel can get through the Bible reader in about 20 minutes the first time through, on a bad day it takes more like 45. Since Keegan has already heard it once, it ususally takes him about the same amount of time. They kind of enjoy reading it the 2nd time, because we did a graph thing for math once where we timed how long it took to read a book the first time, then the second, then the third. They LOVED seeing themselves get faster and faster. And the second time through is MUCH faster. Usually just 10 minutes each. If they end up reading it again to DH it just takes 5-10 minutes...of course by the point they've memorized most of it, but I figure it still helps reenforce, and irons out any issues if they were still struggling with a word.

As for us...We got in most of our homeschooling yesterday before my Mom came over to play with the kids. We've also got in quite a bit today, although we haven't done reading. I think we are taking a break from regular reading stuff today and read a few books and maybe review some. It seems like if we do too many days of regular reading in a row they start getting their reading rules confused. I am looking forward to Keegan's appointment next Thursday so I can find out some more stuff and hopefully get something new to work on. We also crossed the 600 hour mark this week, so I am excited about that!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #37
2queens&1princenmyhouse's Avatar
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MO
Posts: 4,560
My Mood:
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
Welcome Michelle! Yeah, destruct o babies have a tendency to interrupt the school day. Alot. I'm sure that's helping u with staying perpetually behind ;-)
Btw, you have a nice ecclectic mix of curric there. How long have you been HSing?

Yesterday was crazy busy for us but we finished all school work. Today we hardly have anything to do so it's mainly house cleaning day and then we're going to pick up a lil girl to spend the night for the first time. She recently started going to our church and come to find out she is homeschooled! We are really excited because, til now, we haven't had any local HS friends. My oldest dd has been praying for a bff so we're hoping that she might be an answer. She's two years younger than my dd but she's a highly advanced lil girl. In 1st grade she was 4th grade level. Which is why she is now HSed. Even socially she seems very mature. Anyway, I'm rambling! We are just excited. I'm sure most of you know that friendships are totally possible for a HS family but it does require more effort than the general PS family. And it's really nice to see God answer a lil girl's simple prayer for a friend.
That is so sweet! I hope the sleepover goes well and the new friendship blooms.

Good news on Keegan and Zack doing a lttle better in the reading department. Owen is younger but just in the past week has started recognizing some of the sight words in the Reading Lesson. It's so exciting to see them "get it." And it's nice not to have to sound out "it" and "is" every. single. time.
__________________
Kristin, wife to Dan (16 years) , mom to Abby (14)
Emma (12) and Owen (7)
I cd my daycare kids! That's why I still hang out here!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #38
a_marines_wife03's Avatar
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 734
My Mood:
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

we had an ok day. the girls are still having a bit of an issue with the move they miss nana and pop or the Boss Man as they call him. We watched two learning videos today because my head hurt. one video was for science and the other was for social studies about cultures around the world. It gave me a chance to find a Dr office and get an apt made for my BC script. We did a little math/number practice and thats about it really. we may go to the zoo tomorrow so that will give us a couple hours of educational time and the girls wont even know it. other than that it was an ok day hopefully next week i will have some more curriculum printed for them to do because we are starting to run out of stuff to do
__________________
Julie loving wife to her vetern and Momma to Three
Alyssa(7) Savannah(5) and my Angel Baby May 23 2011

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #39
thirdtimemomma's Avatar
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Munchkin Land Missouri
Posts: 7,409
My Mood:
Went to coop today. My 4yo was a terror! But other than that all went well..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
__________________
Vicki
Wife to 1 SeventhtimeMomma to:
N 7-01, L 12-02, B 7-05, J 2-07, L 12-08, S 10-10, and Q 5-29-12
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #40
mevans's Avatar
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 5,181
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
Welcome Michelle! Yeah, destruct o babies have a tendency to interrupt the school day. Alot. I'm sure that's helping u with staying perpetually behind ;-)
Btw, you have a nice ecclectic mix of curric there. How long have you been HSing?

Yesterday was crazy busy for us but we finished all school work. Today we hardly have anything to do so it's mainly house cleaning day and then we're going to pick up a lil girl to spend the night for the first time. She recently started going to our church and come to find out she is homeschooled! We are really excited because, til now, we haven't had any local HS friends. My oldest dd has been praying for a bff so we're hoping that she might be an answer. She's two years younger than my dd but she's a highly advanced lil girl. In 1st grade she was 4th grade level. Which is why she is now HSed. Even socially she seems very mature. Anyway, I'm rambling! We are just excited. I'm sure most of you know that friendships are totally possible for a HS family but it does require more effort than the general PS family. And it's really nice to see God answer a lil girl's simple prayer for a friend.
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, between destruct-o-baby and the holidays, sickness and LIFE, we just stay "behind". Oh well, the joy of homeschooling!!
We have always homeschooled. We started with MUS and My Father's World for my DD in 1st grade (kindergarten was just whatever...abc's and 123's, with MUS Primer and Explode the Code). Last year she did Abeka and MUS, while my DS did MUS and My Fathers World. This is our first year of "ecclectic" and I love it!
Yay for getting all the school work done. Hope you were able to get your cleaning done, and I hope the sleepover goes well. That's so exciting!! I hope the friendship blossoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britches~in~Stitches View Post
We had our first good day yesterday. There was still chaos, and attitude, but dd finished all of her MBtP. We're not doing the phonics or math this week until she gets used to the science, ss, and LA. Now that we have more projects, and books, things are going smoother. Here's to hoping it keeps getting smoother.

That's awesome croark! We're a part of a hs ballet class locally, and dd was able to invite a friend for her bday for the first time. It really made her, and the other little girl feel better about themselves, and hs. Friends make everything a little nicer, right?
Yay for a good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
As for us...We got in most of our homeschooling yesterday before my Mom came over to play with the kids. We've also got in quite a bit today, although we haven't done reading. I think we are taking a break from regular reading stuff today and read a few books and maybe review some. It seems like if we do too many days of regular reading in a row they start getting their reading rules confused. I am looking forward to Keegan's appointment next Thursday so I can find out some more stuff and hopefully get something new to work on. We also crossed the 600 hour mark this week, so I am excited about that!
600 hours of school for this year?
That's so nice that so many of your church family are homeschoolers/Christian private schoolers.
__________________
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.