Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: what do you allow your 8 year old to do??

My 8 year old is still a kid! He plays with Legos, reads books, plays outside (when it's not freezing!), etc. I let him borrow my iPod on occasion to play games, and he gets to play the Wii when he's done with his schoolwork. I have no interest in him growing up too fast!

Advertisement

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
Not all permissive parents who dont have akward children are permissive in ways that harm their children - just food for thought
I didn't say or imply anything bad about the girl, or her parents... or at least wasn't trying to... I certainly don't disagree with their parenting style, and they are not permissive imo. All kids have awkward stages they go through, it's not a bad thing, it's part of growing up.... I was just describing the 8 yr old that I know.

So your response to my post totally baffles me...

did you quote me on accident? Did I misunderstand your point here? Did you misunderstand my post?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #23
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
My 8 year old is still a kid! He plays with Legos, reads books, plays outside (when it's not freezing!), etc. I let him borrow my iPod on occasion to play games, and he gets to play the Wii when he's done with his schoolwork. I have no interest in him growing up too fast!
My 10.5 yo does the above as well. Having a few electronic devices doesn't suddenly make all other activities obsolete!

I am curious about this "no fat pact" thing. If it's done in a positive, supportive manner, it might not be a terrible thing. I am thinking about the "no sex pact" my girlfriends and I had during high school. We were supportive with each other about not getting ourselves into bad situations or hanging out with guys who were only interested in our girl parts rather than the whole package. We built each other up.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
Like PP said, my ds1 does all of this too. He's still very much a 5 year old. He is currently playing legos with his ds2. He loves legos, drawing/coloring, playing outside in all types of weather, reading, playing cars, playing house, playing with kids of all ages and so on. But he still likes his digital camera. He is very much an artistic type personality and loves taking pictures of nature and people. Maybe he'll be a photographer one day, who knows. But just because he's only 5 and is a child doesn't mean I won't help foster his interests.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds has his own video camera that he enjoys. My dsd texts from her iPod but only her parents.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #26
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

I can't imagine how an eight-year-old having a digital camera is somehow the equivalent of an eight-year-old going out on a date or having a "no fat pact."

My dd, 6, has a relatively inexpensive camera that she was given as a birthday gift because she's interested in photography. It was purchased with the understanding that she was responsible for taking care of it properly--which, so far, she has. She loves taking pictures, both as a way of experimenting with art and documenting things. An eight-year-old is certainly capable of taking proper care of a camera and using it.

OP, is your issue just with the expense? Because there are many expensive, age-appropriate items an eight-year-old might have: a musical instrument, a high-end skateboard, an American Girl doll, etc. Heck, there are Lego sets that cost over $100.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #27
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

dp

Last edited by NYCVeg; 01-18-2013 at 05:02 PM.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #28
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 10 year old has a Kindle (Christmas present from us and grandparents last year), cell phone (no data, he can use it to text but he never has) and an ipod touch (purchased himself with a years worth of allowance/birthday/Christmas $).

I don't see anything wrong with these things if they are treated appropriately and under the supervision of parents. We always have the internet turned off on each of these until ds asks and then we closely supervise what he's downloading or looking at. We also limit the amount that he usues them...only after homework and chores are done etc. I think with the right atmosphere and teaching elecronics can be great for kids.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DSD will be 11 next week. She has had a digital camera and a cell phone since she was 8. I really don't understand what the stink is about a digital camera. You can buy a pretty decent point and shoot for like $75. I have no idea how much DSD's camera cost. My MIL bought it for her. Why shouldn't she have one?

I can understand why people don't think an 8 year old should have a cell phone. I didn't think it was a good idea at first either. She is constantly going back and forth between our house and her mom's house though. It is so nice to get a good-night call or text from her. It makes communicating with her when she's not here so much easier. She is restricted from calling or texting anyone her parents didn't program into her phone. It's just a very basic phone. It has no internet access. She is very appropriate with it. I am very glad she has it.

She has a Kindle at her mom's house. I have no idea if it's just a basic Kindle or if it's capable of browsing the net. Her mom is a very sharp lady and I'm certain she monitors it appropriately. We have family iPad & a touch screen desktop computer at our house. She uses them all the time. We have very strict rules on internet use. I also monitor the kids closely when they are on the computers.

I think it's unrealistic to restrict kids from technology. I think it's our job as parents to teach kids to use technology safely. We need to have open discussions with our kids about what is and isn't safe and appropriate. We need to monitor them heavily.

ETA: Facebook is absolutely out of the question for now. We have told her that she must be 18. I think that might bend a bit when she's in high school. For now though, she can continue to think that it's totally off limits to her until she's an adult. Also, we haven't even begun to discuss dating. I don't think she's interested in the slightest yet. It certainly won't be happening in the next few years!

Last edited by ashley84; 01-18-2013 at 04:37 PM.
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM
Same here. Heck she still watches Princess Sophia. Just b/c she has an iPod touch doesn't mean she isn't a kid.