Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #31
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How Long Are Your OB Visits?

Visit with my OB is usually a 5-30 min wait (unless he had to run over to labor and delivery which is across from his office in the hospital and they always warn me about it when I'm coming and give me the option to come and wait or reschedual). And usually a 10 min. visit with his nurse, and then 10-30 min. with him. Although with some of my losses he's stayed and talked me through everything much longer. I love my OB. And his office staff is pretty good too, absolutely am attached to his nurse!

Advertisement

slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My current OB is usually about a 5-10 minute wait in the waiting room, plus less than 5 minutes to wait or him. Then, 10-15 minutes with him. I am very happy with this. My old OB (w/DS) was usually a 15 minute wait in the waiting room, another 10-15 in the exam room and she was in for 10-15 minutes. I had to wait for over 2 hours once, though, while ah delivered a baby. To be fair, they offered to let me see the CNP for the office but I declined as I was 36-37 weeks and had some complications.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #33
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had that experience with pregnancy #1 and my OB. Since then I've switched to a midwife for #2, 3, and 4. I would never go back. I spend about 45 minutes each time, but 80% of that time is spent actually with the midwife having enjoyable and worthwhile conversation. I look forward to visiting the midwife! She actually cares about me and my life and all aspects of that.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #34
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes the wait was less than 5 minutes, one time it was an hour and a half. My actual appointments were sometimes 3-4 minutes and sometimes they were a half hour if I had questions/problems/needed stuff explained.

Though it was sometimes annoying, I never really minded the wait because I know my OB and that he was very contentious about time, and that if he was running behind it was because of deliveries or patients that needed extra time. I knew that when I need extra time/attention from him, I would have it.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #35
kmadavis85
Registered Users
seller

You might try switching to a different time or day. I know with my OB if I went in @ 9:10 I didn't have to wait longer than 10 min, but if it was later like 10:30 I'd have to wait around 45 min. I always went on Mondays too.
kmadavis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #36
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

With my first pregnancy, I was pleased with how efficient my OB's office was. I never had to wait except once or twice when my OB was delivering a baby (couldn't complain about that!).

With my second pregnancy, things had obviously changed with the practice. At every visit I was asked if I wanted to prepay for the birth, and I just didn't feel comfortable paying for something that hadn't happened yet (as it turned out I switched practices and had the baby elsewhere anyway). I had to wait 30+ minutes every time, only to have my OB run in, not know anything about me, and run out.

Finally at my 36 week appointment, I'd had enough. After waiting the usual 45 minutes, I heard the OB in the hall saying to the nurse, "Just ask her what sex the baby is. I can never remember." (That's what a chart is for.) So the nurse came in and asked me if I was having a boy (no), because if so, I'd need to sign the circumcision permission form (um, no, I am not agreeing to that type of procedure without my husband present or even getting to talk to my doctor first).

Then the doctor came in and examined me and told me I was super super narrow. "We're doing a [repeat] C-Section, RIGHT?!" she barked at me while her hand was painfully up in my business. (No, you're the one who suggested I consider a VBAC.) She said I was just too narrow to deliver vaginally (That's what you said at 36 weeks last time, and by 39 weeks I had opened waaaay up . . . again, isn't that in my chart?). Then she asked me why I had a c/s again. READ THE BLEEPITY BLEEP CHART!!!!!

Obviously I'm still a little upset that I put up with such bad service for 1.9 pregnancies. But thankfully my story has a happy ending. I switched to a midwife practice and had my VBAC. The midwives only take patients one day a week, but they're always on time, very attentive, and have obviously read my chart BEFORE seeing me. DH even ran into my former OB a month after my VBAC. By this point she had obviously read my chart because she asked him about the birth, and when he told her when it was, she said, "Oh, on her due date." She asked how big the baby was and seemed genuinely shocked that I had vaginally delivered a baby that was half a pound bigger than my first.

I know I rambled on here and got a little off the topic of office wait time, but to me it went hand in hand with my doctor not giving me any of her time. (To be fair, when I was severely ill in the first trimester and needed IV fluids at home, she was great. But if you weren't having a c/s done or needing emergency care, then she wasn't.)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #37
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They were always an hour and a half to two hours long.