Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
MattiMaman
Registered Users
seller

We are having this issue, too. My son is 28 months and 35 lbs. He was leaking out of TWO Huggies goodnights! The last few nights he's been in a pinned GMD toddler prefold with 2 hemp doublers and a fleece liner inside of a Dappi XL cover. No leaks yet! He is prone to rash so I've been using Balmex at night. I can always toss the fleece liners if necessary.

He is daytime PL'ed, but floods at night. I've had to make sure I'm really diligent about one last pee before the diaper goes on.

Advertisement

MattiMaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
carolyndavis
Registered Users
seller

Re: Everything leaking at night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm View Post
A heavy wetting tummy sleeper 15 months around 28 pounds and this has been working for a week now: a OS BG pocket stuffed with a hemp insert and a bamboo insert both wrapped inside of a prefold.
I'm sure this is super bulky (but hey, if it works, it works!), and I'm curious if you have dedicated nighttime BG OS pockets? I've considered trying mine for overnights, but I feel like I'd completely stretch them out by stuffing them with that much fluff. I don't want to render mine useless for regular daytime use.

Right now I use a Flip organic wrapped around a newborn BG MF insert inside a PUL cover Flip, Thirsties Duo Wrap, or Econobum but I'd love to have something stay-dry against DS's skin.
carolyndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyndavis View Post

I'm sure this is super bulky (but hey, if it works, it works!), and I'm curious if you have dedicated nighttime BG OS pockets? I've considered trying mine for overnights, but I feel like I'd completely stretch them out by stuffing them with that much fluff. I don't want to render mine useless for regular daytime use.

Right now I use a Flip organic wrapped around a newborn BG MF insert inside a PUL cover – Flip, Thirsties Duo Wrap, or Econobum – but I'd love to have something stay-dry against DS's skin.
Here's a pic of him sleeping right now:

It's a big butt, but I haven't had any issues with hurting them for daytime use. As long as there aren't gaps in the legs I don't worry about it. In all fairness though ds is 100th percentile for his age so he fills them out really well too...

I'd try hemp inside instead of the microfiber. Micro just doesn't work like natural fibers, and it loses absorbency with age.

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 01-18-2013 at 08:35 PM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Right now I use a Flip organic wrapped around a newborn BG MF insert inside a PUL cover Flip, Thirsties Duo Wrap, or Econobum but I'd love to have something stay-dry against DS's skin.
i know some mama's have posted BG's with PUL issues FFS, these could work as a nighttime diaper with a wool or fleece soaker i guess? in terms of liquids intake, i really encourage my 21 mo ds to have 20 oz whole milk and 10-12 oz water/juice a day, we have a full sippee milk when he wakes up in the morning and after afternoon nap (it's like clockwork now), water or vit c crystal w/oj with meals. we limit liquids after 6:30 and he is down 8pm until 7 am. so far nighttime dipes manageable and daytime dipes are well soaked. what do ya'll think? i'm not going to hijack this post but i'll start a new one on the subject.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
carolyndavis
Registered Users
seller

I love that you took a real-time pic of him sleeping!! (Mine is all bundled up in a fleece sleeper and a sleep sack, so this wouldn't even work for me.)

I have a Hemp Babies flat (?) that I got as a hand-me-down, and I've been meaning to try it as a doubler for the Flip Organic, but I haven't done it yet. DS isn't a terribly heavy wetter, so he usually does fine with our current arrangement, except, like I said, I've been wanting him to have stay-dry against his skin, since he's been sleeping about 11 hours at night without a change.

Also, my DS is in the 3rd percentile for weight, so we tend to get frequent gapping at the legs another reason I'm scared to stretch out my pockets! He's a shrimpy little guy.
carolyndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
I love that you took a real-time pic of him sleeping!! (Mine is all bundled up in a fleece sleeper and a sleep sack, so this wouldn't even work for me.)

I have a Hemp Babies flat (?) that I got as a hand-me-down, and I've been meaning to try it as a doubler for the Flip Organic, but I haven't done it yet. DS isn't a terribly heavy wetter, so he usually does fine with our current arrangement, except, like I said, I've been wanting him to have stay-dry against his skin, since he's been sleeping about 11 hours at night without a change.

Also, my DS is in the 3rd percentile for weight, so we tend to get frequent gapping at the legs – another reason I'm scared to stretch out my pockets! He's a shrimpy little guy.
Aw cute little legs! DS's are actually slim now compared to when he was a squish. Lol I'm glad someone likes that I take pics non stop too haha it's just quicker to show imo.

I'm not too sure which are best for skinny legs... Maybe Fuzibunz since they have the adjustable elastic??? But I would definitely try the Hemp Babies flat and see how that works. Our set up is usually good for about 12-13 hours since DS really loves his sleep.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
holocene
Registered Users

We went through this problem, and as much as I hate it, the only night time solution we have ever found is a size 5 huggies with a flip disposable insert laid inside.

♡ evah - mama to sam & ari.
holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss456
Are you sure fitteds wouldn't be the answer? Even if its less fabric, I think the fit around the legs makes a difference.
Yeah fitteds aren't working any better. The diapers are fully soaked, whether fitteds or layers of flats and doublers, so I don't think it's a fit problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited by TrennaII; 01-19-2013 at 08:59 PM.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansen19

i know some mama's have posted BG's with PUL issues FFS, these could work as a nighttime diaper with a wool or fleece soaker i guess? in terms of liquids intake, i really encourage my 21 mo ds to have 20 oz whole milk and 10-12 oz water/juice a day, we have a full sippee milk when he wakes up in the morning and after afternoon nap (it's like clockwork now), water or vit c crystal w/oj with meals. we limit liquids after 6:30 and he is down 8pm until 7 am. so far nighttime dipes manageable and daytime dipes are well soaked. what do ya'll think? i'm not going to hijack this post but i'll start a new one on the subject.
We often have used flats folded as shown in my sig, in a BG pocket for night. But as another mama said, putting Pul under another cover gets really warm. The extra heat and less oxygen for a full night accelerates urea breaking down into ammonia, so I think it's a higher risk for stink and rash. For night I think it's a good idea not to have a layer of anything unnecessary.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss456
Are you sure fitteds wouldn't be the answer? Even if its less fabric, I think the fit around the legs makes a difference.
This. Our bamboo fitteds paired with wool are key to our night diapering success. DS is a super soaker and loves drinking water. Even when we tried to take it away at a certain time at night but I felt bad doing this, he still drinks water in the bath - either out of the tub (gross I know) or from the faucet. Prior to using bamboo fitteds, I tried to do other combos that were way bulkier and had more fabric. The bulk was uncomfy for DS and created gaps in the legs which led to leaks. Sbish OBFs with wool are our nighttime solution.

Last edited by momma_dna; 01-19-2013 at 09:06 PM.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote