Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Letting go of things without guilt

What do you all do to help you let go of things without feeling guilty.

I love the flylady line "stuff is not love"

Yet I am still having a hard time letting go of a couple things...

3 nursing nightgowns I made and cannot stand. I never wear them and just looking at thm makes me feel bad cause I wasted money on all that fabric. I need to let them go but I keep hanging onto them thinking maybe I can repurpose themm, but i know i wont get to it....help!

And then I have this set of microfiber dishcloths my mil gave me. I love this practical gift and her thoughtfulness but just touching microfiber makes my skin crawl! Should I just toss them? Give them back to her and let her know? Yikes....

Lastly, what about those things you buy, don't use and they just sit and sit, in this case shirts. They wre nice shirts, I might want them in the future but I just don't wear them. I feel bad getting rid of them when I know a day will come when I will need new shirts but I just don't care for them. I'm trying to balance minimalism with being frugal you know? Should I just pack them away or let them go?

Help me out

Advertisement

Last edited by marliah; 01-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.
marliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: Letting go of things without guilt

I would let it all go! Donate to a thrift store....then your night gowns are getting re purposed because someone will see one and love it and wear it.

The dish towels...I get it! We have 1 microfiber one that I think I am going to make disappear. DH loves it but I can't stand to touch it! Is she over at your house often? Can you just make them disappear with no one noticing? Or give them back if you can....I knwo that would bug my MIL, but everyone is different.

the shirts....why keep them if you don't even care for them? I say get rid of them as well. Someday, when you need new shirts, you can get a few that you love and will wear often.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you sell any of it on CL? If you could resell the nursing gowns and shirts, would that lessen the guilt? OR, you could plan to repurpose the nightgowns right now, this week! yeah, and ditch the MF. I hate touching it, too.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm giving you permission to get rid of it all guilt free.

As for the shirts, sometimes I'll get rid of a few, them later when I realize I don't miss those few I feel more free to get rid of them all.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
I'm giving you permission to get rid of it all guilt free.

As for the shirts, sometimes I'll get rid of a few, them later when I realize I don't miss those few I feel more free to get rid of them all.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I'm having a really hard time with certain items I pack them in a box. Stick it in the storage shed & if it's sitting there untouched after whatever amount of time I'm comfortable with (3 months - 2 years, depending on my mood or the items) they go straight to The Salvation Army. No opening the box.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please donate them. You are blessing others. Freecycle those things to people that would use them with love. Somebody might need those things desperately.

Eta: I had a dollhouse that my most favorite uncle made me. I played with that as a little girl for hours at a time. I kind of wore it out. I kept it and took it to Germany with me when I married a soldier. Took it to Nc when we left Germany. It was in that box for 17 years. I was 31 when I listed it on freecycle along with the dolls & furniture. A family that had little money was so blessed to get it & rebuilt it for their daughter. I could let it go because of that. :0)

Last edited by P!nkPepper; 01-16-2013 at 09:13 PM.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Oh, yes, let them go! Bless another family! I love sending things I no longer need to the charity truck. Thankfully they come by my house regularly.

But, I have MANY items I need to let go of that I am working on, you are not alone hesitating to pass something on. I keep thinking I need to buy a hope chest and put some things away for dd, but she says she doesn't like the things I may put away for her!?! Well, she may not care whether or not she "likes them" when she is starting out with NOTHING....
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Felicia.Delaney
Registered Users

I have a very hard time getting rid of anything that anyone "gifts" me. I really don't like being like this either because both my husband and I both have always intended to be entirely simple. I rarely ever buy my daughter toys because my gives her toys at her bday and xmas. Right now we have three riding toys in the house. Two she is not too big for but IMO too advanced for. I cant stand the thought of giving them away because I am afraid the gifter may ask where they are.. or want them back. SO weird? I know.
Felicia.Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote