Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #81
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Let's talk childhood obesity....

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
I did not read the replies, but I believe it is 100% the fault of the parents if a child is overweight or obese (barring an actual medical condition). 100%, no exceptions.

Lack of education is a poor excuse, and if someone is so ignorant as to legitimately believe that potato chips or fruit snacks are healthy, then I honestly believe they never should have reproduced and passed on those genes to begin with. It is not hard to eat healthy, and you can eat well cheaply with little prep time if you eat a redundant menu. It costs nothing to exercise with your kids, and if a person doesn't have time to feed their kids well or make sure they are active, then they should not have them.

Yes, I really feel this way. I feel like parents are responsible for their kids and making sure they can take care of them. I really feel like parents have the sole responsibility for making sure their kids are not overweight. No, I really don't think it is the fault of the schools or the media. I don't think my view is extreme in the least. I think we've become lazy as a society and blaming others for a problem with what kids eat is just one symptom.
I think there is a large problem with many people eschewing preventative measures in many walks of life and instead expecting a quick fix once things have gone south. In the case of many parents, they aren't seeing the link that part of parenting is ensuring a healthy child, and health is largely predicated on proper nutrition, which means good choices. I think many people genuinely believe that at some point they can just take their obese and unhealthy child to the doctor and there will be a quick, medicine-based fix to get them to where they need to be. My pediatrician told me that she has had parents come in and, when told their child is obese, ask for a prescription. She said she prescribes "Apples and long walks on the beach" I'm sure many of these people are peeved that she isn't "helping" them

Advertisement

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #82
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar

I think there is a large problem with many people eschewing preventative measures in many walks of life and instead expecting a quick fix once things have gone south. In the case of many parents, they aren't seeing the link that part of parenting is ensuring a healthy child, and health is largely predicated on proper nutrition, which means good choices. I think many people genuinely believe that at some point they can just take their obese and unhealthy child to the doctor and there will be a quick, medicine-based fix to get them to where they need to be. My pediatrician told me that she has had parents come in and, when told their child is obese, ask for a prescription. She said she prescribes "Apples and long walks on the beach" I'm sure many of these people are peeved that she isn't "helping" them
I agree, and to that I say that people that ignorant should not be reproducing. Unfortunately, modern medicine has taken Darwinism out of the equation to some degree, so these people will pass on ignorance, laziness, bad habits and blaming others for their issues.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #83
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I agree, and to that I say that people that ignorant should not be reproducing. Unfortunately, modern medicine has taken Darwinism out of the equation to some degree, so these people will pass on ignorance, laziness, bad habits and blaming others for their issues.
You should go back and read the replies. I am really surprised by the amount of people blaming the government.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #84
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I did not read the replies, but I believe it is 100% the fault of the parents if a child is overweight or obese (barring an actual medical condition). 100%, no exceptions.

Lack of education is a poor excuse, and if someone is so ignorant as to legitimately believe that potato chips or fruit snacks are healthy, then I honestly believe they never should have reproduced and passed on those genes to begin with. It is not hard to eat healthy, and you can eat well cheaply with little prep time if you eat a redundant menu. It costs nothing to exercise with your kids, and if a person doesn't have time to feed their kids well or make sure they are active, then they should not have them.

Yes, I really feel this way. I feel like parents are responsible for their kids and making sure they can take care of them. I really feel like parents have the sole responsibility for making sure their kids are not overweight. No, I really don't think it is the fault of the schools or the media. I don't think my view is extreme in the least. I think we've become lazy as a society and blaming others for a problem with what kids eat is just one symptom.
except that is is not WHAT you eat but HOW MUCH. Even the most perfect diet can cause a child to be obese. Weight is separate from nutritional deficiencies.

I thought it was interesting when I was watching that HBO special that one of the formerly obese people on there can only eat 1100 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight. Thats the same that my kids need per day. Most people think that we need way more calories than we do to stay healthy, and if you were overweight, you need 20% fewer calories than someone of your height, weight, activity level who never was.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #85
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
except that is is not WHAT you eat but HOW MUCH. Even the most perfect diet can cause a child to be obese. Weight is separate from nutritional deficiencies.

I thought it was interesting when I was watching that HBO special that one of the formerly obese people on there can only eat 1100 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight. Thats the same that my kids need per day. Most people think that we need way more calories than we do to stay healthy, and if you were overweight, you need 20% fewer calories than someone of your height, weight, activity level who never was.
Right, but it's how much via calories, and not via sheer mass or satisfaction. If I ate eight ounces of carrots, I will be better off than someone who eats eight ounces of Cheetos. Most people do not look at calories or nutritional information. They eat to feel full, and then repeat when they are hungry again. Stomach capacity is finite for most people, and it's very difficult to become obese on a perfect diet whereas it's much easier to become obese on a diet filled with junk. Three square inches of cantaloupe probably won't put me over the edge, but three square inches of fudge might.

The HBO special was awesome. But, I still think that the concept of calories versus the mass needed to fill your tummy and ensure you are good to ride until the next meal is missing from a lot of people.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #86
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

But that's portion control, and a component to how many calories you are eating. I think most people have no idea what are healthy portion sizes, irregardless of what food it is.

People also think that 20 mins of working out burns tons of calories. You might work off the amount of calories in one apple in that amount of time.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #87
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
But that's portion control, and a component to how many calories you are eating. I think most people have no idea what are healthy portion sizes, irregardless of what food it is.

People also think that 20 mins of working out burns tons of calories. You might work off the amount of calories in one apple in that amount of time.
No kidding. I have a stationary bike that tells me how many calories I'm burning. I always feel defeated when I use it and then check to see how many calories I've burned. I'm always flabberghasted at how long it takes me to burn them and how quickly I can consume them!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #88
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am really suprised at the number of people pushing the "a calorie is a calorie" line of thinking. Yes, if you look at it from only a numbers on the scale issue then sure you can get away with that kind of thinking. But bioligcally our bodies need the macro and micronutrients that are in unadulterated non-processed foods. When we fill our bodies with foods that have a nutritional deficit we don't get what we need and our body signals us to eat again. That is how we have ended up with so many overweight and obese people that while heavy are actually malnurished. Even if we put aside the addictive components and additives that so many processed foods have (sugar, msg, ect) there is still a base need in our body that is not being met so we eat again, and again trying to fill that void. Processed foods however can't fill that void.
There is a HUGE difference in how our body absorbs and assimilates calories from high quality foods and junk foods.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #89
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan

When I first read your post I was totally offended, but you're right.

I have the opposite problem, my kids are tiny, but. I'm positive they're not getting a well balanced diet. Sure I could come up with a million reasons why, but the honest fact is that I just don't do it, and I should. So, thanks.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #90
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees

But, still, the parents are responsible. And WHAT you eat is just as important as how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque

When I first read your post I was totally offended, but you're right.

I have the opposite problem, my kids are tiny, but. I'm positive they're not getting a well balanced diet. Sure I could come up with a million reasons why, but the honest fact is that I just don't do it, and I should. So, thanks.
I'm sorry you were offended, but I think it is wonderful that you can be reflective enough to still get something out of what I wrote.

My kids are tiny, too, and I make sure they eat well. However, they are never going to naturally be big--I'm 4'11" and my husband is 5'5". Height/weight proportion is important to consider.