Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #91
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan
But, still, the parents are responsible. And WHAT you eat is just as important as how much.

I'm sorry you were offended, but I think it is wonderful that you can be reflective enough to still get something out of what I wrote.

My kids are tiny, too, and I make sure they eat well. However, they are never going to naturally be big--I'm 4'11" and my husband is 5'5". Height/weight proportion is important to consider.
Oh, I know my kids are going to be tiny like DH and I, but I want them to be healthy, and I just don't think I'm achieving that right now.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #92
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque

Oh, I know my kids are going to be tiny like DH and I, but I want them to be healthy, and I just don't think I'm achieving that right now.
If you want some advice, one thing that helps us eat well is to not buy the junk in the first place, even for treats. I never buy chips because I love them! I also keep lots of cut up fruit and veggies so kids and I can grab them quickly. I often give the kids crudités before dinner, and they gobble up everything!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #93
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Let's talk childhood obesity....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack View Post
I am really suprised at the number of people pushing the "a calorie is a calorie" line of thinking. Yes, if you look at it from only a numbers on the scale issue then sure you can get away with that kind of thinking. But bioligcally our bodies need the macro and micronutrients that are in unadulterated non-processed foods.
Well said. I read somewhere that obese people can be overweight, yet malnourished at the same time. We tend to focus too much on size. Health is more important. And I really believe that if we cut out the junk food, our proportions would naturally be limited by good foods and people would weigh less. (you are much less likely to overeat on vegetables and whole grains)
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #94
addicteddad
Registered Users

Quote:
I am really suprised at the number of people pushing the "a calorie is a calorie" line of thinking. Yes, if you look at it from only a numbers on the scale issue then sure you can get away with that kind of thinking. But bioligcally our bodies need the macro and micronutrients that are in unadulterated non-processed foods. When we fill our bodies with foods that have a nutritional deficit we don't get what we need and our body signals us to eat again. That is how we have ended up with so many overweight and obese people that while heavy are actually malnurished. Even if we put aside the addictive components and additives that so many processed foods have (sugar, msg, ect) there is still a base need in our body that is not being met so we eat again, and again trying to fill that void. Processed foods however can't fill that void.
There is a HUGE difference in how our body absorbs and assimilates calories from high quality foods and junk foods.
To the bolded, for my point regarding calories it was directed solely at the notion that one can't lose, or can even gain weight despite burning more than they consume. Not everyone burns calories with equal efficiency, and for the most part, all the calorie counters/charts in the world are guesses. Overweight/obese people generally will not have healthy, efficient metabolisms. Not to mention the type of diet one eats and the type of exercise they do can help contribute to a more efficient burning of fat while preserving muscle. I completely agree with you regarding the nutrient components of food in regards to the big picture.

It is much harder to become obese by overeating on a truly healthy, balanced, nutritious diet because, barring a severe medical issue, your body won't be constantly signaling for more food.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #95
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
I am really suprised at the number of people pushing the "a calorie is a calorie" line of thinking. Yes, if you look at it from only a numbers on the scale issue then sure you can get away with that kind of thinking. But bioligcally our bodies need the macro and micronutrients that are in unadulterated non-processed foods. When we fill our bodies with foods that have a nutritional deficit we don't get what we need and our body signals us to eat again. That is how we have ended up with so many overweight and obese people that while heavy are actually malnurished. Even if we put aside the addictive components and additives that so many processed foods have (sugar, msg, ect) there is still a base need in our body that is not being met so we eat again, and again trying to fill that void. Processed foods however can't fill that void.
There is a HUGE difference in how our body absorbs and assimilates calories from high quality foods and junk foods.
Thank you! Totally agree. People here keep saying ' 100 calories of apple is the same as 100 of Cheetos.' Its not. Apples have nutrients and enzymes that help you digest and absorb those nutrients, they give you energy, and you process those 100 calories differently than Cheetos. Cheetos just go to your thighs.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #96
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees
except that is is not WHAT you eat but HOW MUCH. Even the most perfect diet can cause a child to be obese. Weight is separate from nutritional deficiencies.
I read this in other replies as well and don't quite agree. I do agree that if you're eating excessive amounts, it doesn't matter WHAT it is, you will gain weight. But on the other hand you're much more prone to binge eat on Cheetos and ding dongs than carrots and broccoli. Processed junk packs high calories into small packages, so you can eat way more calories of junk than you can with fruit and veg. Whole foods fill you up much faster, and keep you full longer.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #97
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoclaire View Post
I read this in other replies as well and don't quite agree. I do agree that if you're eating excessive amounts, it doesn't matter WHAT it is, you will gain weight. But on the other hand you're much more prone to binge eat on Cheetos and ding dongs than carrots and broccoli. Processed junk packs high calories into small packages, so you can eat way more calories of junk than you can with fruit and veg. Whole foods fill you up much faster, and keep you full longer.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Meh. I think this part goes back to the way that our bodies are designed to jealously horde calories as an adaptation to feast or famine. We are drawn to foods that naturally build our fat stores more efficiently like cheetos and ding dongs. I agree that they can be connected, but I do think that the bottom line is excess consumption of calories.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #98
addicteddad
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
Meh. I think this part goes back to the way that our bodies are designed to jealously horde calories as an adaptation to feast or famine. We are drawn to foods that naturally build our fat stores more efficiently like cheetos and ding dongs. I agree that they can be connected, but I do think that the bottom line is excess consumption of calories.
Frequency also has an effect on how the body stores vs metabolizes calories. I do wonder if anyone actually knows someone who is obese from simply overeating a truly healthy diet. A healthy diet allows your metabolism to function efficiently, and it's hard to fathom how one could simply overeat to the point of becoming obese on such a diet.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #99
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it is partly the governments fault. The FDA needs to do it's job and regulate our food. They need to get HFCS and all this other additives, many of which are banned in other nations because of how wretched they are. They need to stop allowing GMOs (most other nations at the very least label the garbage) they need to stop allowing pink slime in our ground beef.

Instead they're in the pockets of the Big Beef industry that wants to make the most product they can, as cheaply as they can so they allow pink slime. They're in the pockets of King Corn so they allow HFCS....not only that but King Corn is allowed to put out commercials LYING the public about how your body can't tell a difference between cane sugar and 'corn sugar' (to that end they can label it 'corn sugar' since HFCS got such a bad rep. All these organizations that get a bad rep in the news are still in our food they've just managed to petition to get a new name so no one knows it's HFCS or GMOs or God only knows what.

You can't even go to the store and buy a dang apple without knowing if it's REALLY an apple or if it's some genetically modified science experiment.

And Yes, education does play a HUGE role and we need to educate people. My goodness, just a few months ago there was a crap storm in the media because *gasp* organic carrots aren't healthier than conventional carrots. Well no duh. But this was upsetting to some people! They honestly believed that an organic carrot somehow contained more nutrients or something than a conventional carrot!

And every 15 minutes on TV I see a V8 commercial 'should've had a V8' because it's so much easier to drink this concoction of who knows what than eat a dang serving of broccoli. Showing grown ADULTS being all whiney and childlike about eating vegetables or fruits. I mean, really? What kind of message does that send to children? "Vegetables are gross. Drink this yummy mixture that doesn't even taste like vegetables because we've added so much freaking sugar...er I mean HFCS."

Or commercials for pedialite drinks "My child refuses to eat broccoli so I give her this sugar filled crap drink so ensure she's getting the nutrients she needs." Um, no, make your kid eat freaking broccoli, it's not that hard. My kids LOVE broccoli and I don't even melt some yellow substance posing as cheese product all over it. I steam it, they eat it and love it.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #100
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

dp
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is online now   Reply With Quote