Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

What to know about oral progesterone?

After many months of successfully conceiving, only to have spotting 10-12 DPO and AF arriving right on schedule, my naturopath gave me a prescription for oral progesterone, and Vitex supplements.

She said I could either TTA for a few months to give my body a break, and take Vitex, and see if things straighten out ... or I could go ahead and TTC now, starting the prescription 1DPO.

We're pretty sure we're just going to go for it, she said the main side effect is increased morning sickness and especially fatigue.

Has anyone else experienced other side effects? How bad were the fatigue and morning sickness? She said the nausea is proportional to how much you have normally (i.e. since I tend to not have much at all, it should remain moderate).

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
birdseye
Registered Users
Formerly: clothbyl**
seller

Re: What to know about oral progesterone?

I was on progesterone prior to becoming pregnant and up until 14 weeks pregnant.

The biggest side effect was a crazy amount of sleepiness. I took it before I went to bed.

I noticed slight nausea if I did not take it with food. Other than that, I had no nausea or vomiting my first trimester.
birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
birdseye
Registered Users
Formerly: clothbyl**
seller

I was on progesterone prior to becoming pregnant and up until 14 weeks pregnant.

The biggest side effect was a crazy amount of sleepiness. I took it before I went to bed.

I noticed slight nausea if I did not take it with food. Other than that, I had no nausea or vomiting my first trimester.
birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never taken it orally...just vaginally.

orally it gives you so many different side effects....suprised your dr didn't prescribe it vaginally...gets to the source quicker
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

They prescribed oral pills to be taken vaginally for me. I took them at bedtime with no side effects other than typical PG symptoms in the TWW.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ive taken it both ways. but start at 1dpo? you cannot guarantee you can know that. I would only start at day 3. and if its prometrium, I would use it vaginally. by mouth is can make you feel very drunk and dizzy or tired. I had to do it vaginally or I would puke when pregnant.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never taken it orally. I done IVF & a FET, so have (and am currently) taking it IM each evening & through a vaginal suppository 2xdaily.

I've never noticed side effects. I was not tired & did not have any morning sickness while on progesterone during my twin pregnancy. And throughout this FET cycle I had a couple mood swings when jumping from lupron to estrace & vivelle dot - but no problems concerning the progesterone. I'll find out if our FET worked this comming Tuesday - if I get a BFP I believe I will continue progesterone (and other medications) through the first 10 weeks.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I took it orally at night. It did cause some mild drowsiness, but totally appreciated the great nights sleep & never had trouble getting up or feeling groggy the next morning. I was told to start at 2-3 dpo as well. Other side effects for me included breast tenderness, heightened emotions (like bad PMS), & very mild acne, but never fatigue or morning sickness. They came at their normal time during pregnancy. I stopped taking it at 12 wks. HTH Good luck!

Last edited by leviandgarettsmom; 01-19-2013 at 07:41 AM.
leviandgarettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom
ive taken it both ways. but start at 1dpo? you cannot guarantee you can know that. I would only start at day 3. and if its prometrium, I would use it vaginally. by mouth is can make you feel very drunk and dizzy or tired. I had to do it vaginally or I would puke when pregnant.
I've been charting for a year, my O date is extremely regular and obvious.

I'll have to check more on there being fewer side effects when taken vaginally, thanks! I didn't want to deal with goop.

And we're treating insomnia at the same time, so the scrip is "take at bedtime".

Thanks for all the advice!