Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #11
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma
But how many. I mean 24-36 diapers is a good stash.. but what about mama cloth.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
I'd say 12-18
Even when my cycle was heavier I was fine washing every two days with sixteen pads

Advertisement

JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Teen cloth pad set...

is there a cup for teens? sounds like it would be much easier. I don't even have a dd and i've wondered about this. I was 13 when i got my period, i moved up to tampons pretty quick because summer hit and swimming pools!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-19-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
NooneeWilga
Registered Users

Cups come in different sizes. The manufacturers would generally recommend the smaller size for teens. However I think that using a cup requires a fair bit of comfort with your body that most early teens haven't got yet. And it would be a very rare preteen that I would recommend a cup for.
NooneeWilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooneeWilga View Post
Cups come in different sizes. The manufacturers would generally recommend the smaller size for teens. However I think that using a cup requires a fair bit of comfort with your body that most early teens haven't got yet. And it would be a very rare preteen that I would recommend a cup for.
My thoughts as well. Honestly I can't even imagine how a virgin grown woman would use one. But then I always could only manage those tampons that had the most posh and smooth applicators and still often inserted them at the wrong and painful angle. There have also been a number of threads here where woman (who are very comfortable with their bodies and accustomed to their periods) talked about how messy these could be to empty and how knowing when they are full can take some getting used to. So for a teen with a heavy period, especially one in public school, I wouldn't personally be considering it.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 01-19-2013 at 01:30 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I got 36 or so for me as my oldest girl not there. I am a heavy flower usually is why & change lots. So dependin on everything. 24.

I can't use tampons worth crap so cup probably out too.

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 01-19-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: adding
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
What's a good "stash" for a preteen? What would u buy your DD? I have no clue, I use the diva.

My daughter (almost 16) has been using cloth pads for about 4.5 years now, but not since the beginning of her cycle. She initially preferred shorter, less absorbent pads, but as she grew older, her cycles changed and she now uses "standard" sized pads (as far as my particular brand goes )

I do have some sets geared towards teens in my starter stash section and I also have a co-op that is scheduled to open on the 20th which will take 20% off for you

I have a Buyer's Guide on my policies page which may help you figure out how many pads she will need.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help you. I've made many teen sets .
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok this is helpful.. I'm pretty sure she's not ready for the cup as of yet. I think I tried my first tampon a year after my first period.. so I want to give her time.

I think she went through at least 6 disposable pads the first day, so that's pretty consistent with the numbers your all saying. You'd think I.would know, lol. But 7 kids and 6 cycles in 12 years you forget these things

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #18
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
I washed a couple of pads by hand once to prep them, but despite wringing them as hard as I could and putting them through the dryer three times they still were not dry. I think some pads are just made for machine washing (and the spin cycle), fwiw. I also can't begin to imagine how much water I would waste and how ucky I would personally feel if I were handwashing them to my level of cleanliness satisfaction. That's all to say, I would not count on the handwashing method.

Regarding number, it's going to depend a lot on how heavy and long her periods are. Noonee also points out the matter of whether she will like to be using different pads on her heavy days versus her light days (I do). She may end up wanting a stash that can be used for the whole period before washing. But there is no need to start there. It can take a while to find the right fit of pad anyhow--for instance, what crotch width is comfortable and what thinness she is comfortable with through her clothing. So getting what you think will be enough for two days to start and just planning to do a lot of washes those first two periods while she is figuring out her likes and needs might be a smart way to do things.
Luckily she has baby brothers in diapers so I'm washing anyway..

Is there a routine to MC? I mean we dry pail, and do a standard prewash hot wash second rinse and tumble dry. Do we need a pot to soak in or can we dry pail the MC? I also use a little bleach every wash because 4 bums share diapers in my house and my big boys are stinky pee-ers... Anyway, I'm asuming I can wash as I do my dipes.

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

There are mixed opinions on how to best wash mama cloth. I drypail mine but only after spraying them with some diluted Biokleen Bac-Out (I wasn't so happy with the results when I skipped that step for a couple, but I do like to avoid bad stains). At the end of my period, I soak them in cold water (with warm oxygen bleach stirred in) for two hours. I've learned that I need to soak my "heavy" pads for a little while and dump the water once before adding the rest of the pads just b/c of the amount of blood (the wash will get it hygenic I suppose with some blood still in there, but I don't like it when I can see and smell blood in there after they've been washed). Then I just do an extra long cold water wash with an extra rinse.

It sounds like your diaper washing settings might be comparable in that one of your two washes could correspond to my soak. However, bear in mind of course that hot water will set blood stains instead of releasing them even if the blood is fresh. The materials that some pads are made out of also don't hold up as well to hot water (some of the manufacturers warn you about this and suggest cold to warm washing). But if she's ok w/ lots of stains, I don't see why that wouldn't work. If you want to wash them with the dipes, two things might help. One is that you could squirt hydrogen peroxide onto the blood of each pad, let it fizz for 1-2 mins, and then toss it in. The second is really along the same lines, I would advise using oxygen bleach, not regular bleach, in loads that the pads are in. The oxygen bleach/hydrogen peroxide just pulls blood out very well.

Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

p.s.--Offhand I can say that New Moon Pads is one seller whose pads do not "mind" hot water. She says you can even boil them. And you could get patterns where the set stains would be less obvious. If you get red/brown based patterns, you could soak them in vinegar water before the first wash to try to keep the colors from bleeding and fading too terribly. But New Moon pads are pricey, tend toward being wide (which could be a problem depending on your daughter's frame... I'm trying to FSOT one of mine that I simply bought too big), and will not be terribly low profile (unlike a lot of thick pads they are very, very comfortable, but they are sort of thick).

Also, I think 6 pads per day is overshooting it unless the flow is torrential. Once she gets comfortable with her period and comfortable that her pads are trustworthy, I'd be surprised if she wanted to change quite that often. And a real quality nighttime pad should take care of the full night. But I have had a truly torrential flow at one point in the past, and that, well, was a whole different ballgame of doubling up on tampons and pads and so forth.

Last edited by debcita429; 01-19-2013 at 11:06 PM.