Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Re: when the trusty Tide and bleach isn't working.....

We had that problem with Tide, and I find it in the supposedly clean FSOT diapers I buy from Tide households. Switching to Country Save plus a bit of Bac-Out, or Biokleen with enzymes, have served us much better. Whenever I wash a Tide user's diaper in Country Save, it starts revealing a lot of stink as it peels off the built up Tide fragrance.

If you want to stick with the Tide, increase the amount you're using or add a Tablespoon of washing soda. Bleaching more or soaking in oxiclean will really shorten the life of your diapers. Using bleach and oxiclean together creates toxic fumes.

Doesn't sound like vinegar would be helpful for you.

I've never washed our washing machine ...

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybaby712

Actually I've never cleaned it I didn't know I was supposed to, but that makes sense! Doh! Especially since I'm not smelling a pee or poo smell. I feel dirty now lol.

How do you clean it with baking soda and vinegar? Are you talking about scrubbing it down with vinegar and baking soda, then running a hot wash with vinegar and baking soda?

Do you clean dryers too? I just got a new dryer not too long ago so that should be fine, but my washer is ancient so I know that needs some TLC.
I think washer cleaning is overrated and unnecessary, personally. I think I have cleaned my HE TL once out of paranoia. I do think that people with FL have to regularly clean out the traps, though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #13
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did not have good luck with the powder at all but love liquid Tide. I wouldn't switch yet but definitely think you need to use more detergent. I also suspect that you wouldn't need the bleach after you got the wash routine down and were using plenty of detergent but I would bleach for now.

We have tried tons of detergents and nothing else works as well for us. Charlie's was great for a while but we eventually got stink. Tide F&G and Country Save were both disastrous and we had constant funk that I couldn't get out (plus tons of staining with Country Save) and Dropps were just WAY too much for our soft water. Plus regular Tide Iltra powder broke DS out in a rash and didn't get our diapers as clean as the liquid. We also tried BacOut but it broke DS out terribly and flared his eczema. Anyway, I hope you can find what works for you. Hopefully increasing detergent will work but, if not, powdered Tide may just not work for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by lynn97; 01-20-2013 at 05:10 AM.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
Tide powder smells yucky to me--I think my laundry (not just diapers) smells dirty after washing with it. The old Tide powder smelled nice to me, but there is something funky in the new Tide Ultra powder. I'm not sure what it is.
I don't mind the smell of the Tide original liquid (the blue stuff), and I find it works well in the HE version in my FL.
When washing in a top loader, I had great results with Tide Free and Gentle powder and some oxyclean free. Those diapers never smelled like anything, ever, even after a whole night on my dd.
I've never tried the Tide F&G powder. I know when I used the liquid F&G I could NEVER get it to rinse out. The suds were so bad for us, though it was very good at cleaning and the dipes didn't smell like anything. Does the Tide F&G powder rinse out better than the liquid?

I have tried so many detergents and really don't want to switch again, but I'll do whatever it takes to have this stress of constant smelling dipes gone.

I'm about to start another wash now with more Tide ultra than I have been using. Crossing my fingers that this should fix it...
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenwonderland View Post
Instead of a beginning rinse, I do a full warm wash with oxyclean and 1/4 cup of bleach. Then I do the hot wash with Tide and a double rinse. Soaking in oxyclean helps too.
Don't use oxi and bleach in the same load... Toxic... But I agree with a full warm wash. I do that with tide.. then a hit wash with tide and bleach.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma

Don't use oxi and bleach in the same load... Toxic... But I agree with a full warm wash. I do that with tide.. then a hit wash with tide and bleach.

I didn't know this! Thx
crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Point of information: bleach and oxyclean do not create toxic fumes. They actually neutralize each other and may be less effective together than individually if combined in one cycle. Usually the washer adds the bleach after the oxyclean has had some time to work, so it can be a good combination depending on your washer.

Bleach and VINEGAR makes toxic fumes. Oxyclean and vinegar (the famous oxy-vin) does too but also creates a powerfully disinfecting solution.

I agree with cleaning the washer and upping the detergent and/or bleach and possibly trying a different detergent or different additive. Good luck
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
We had that problem with Tide, and I find it in the supposedly clean FSOT diapers I buy from Tide households. Switching to Country Save plus a bit of Bac-Out, or Biokleen with enzymes, have served us much better. Whenever I wash a Tide user's diaper in Country Save, it starts revealing a lot of stink as it peels off the built up Tide fragrance.

If you want to stick with the Tide, increase the amount you're using or add a Tablespoon of washing soda. Bleaching more or soaking in oxiclean will really shorten the life of your diapers. Using bleach and oxiclean together creates toxic fumes.

Doesn't sound like vinegar would be helpful for you.

I've never washed our washing machine ...
I completely agree. I used to be on the mainstream detergent wagon (Tide or All w/ oxiactive) until our clothing got detergent residue! Our kitchen laundry had a funk even bleach did not cure. I was using only to the 1 line and could not get those suds out of our clothes. Everything had a weird sweat smell. Then I switched to Country save.

I usually only use 1/4 scoop in our giant FLer and always fill the bleach compartment with white vinegar. Literally the only 2 laundry products we have are CS powder and a jug of vinegar despite having disgusting farm clothes, 2 boys who still have accidents, etc. It rinses clean and is the only natural detergent I have ever felt really works! Our clothes are SO soft and smell incredibly clean without a stinky Tide scent. I won't go back to mainstream detergent detergent and bleach. No way.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
JennyJack
Registered Users
seller

bump
JennyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
Point of information: bleach and oxyclean do not create toxic fumes. They actually neutralize each other and may be less effective together than individually if combined in one cycle. Usually the washer adds the bleach after the oxyclean has had some time to work, so it can be a good combination depending on your washer.

Bleach and VINEGAR makes toxic fumes. Oxyclean and vinegar (the famous oxy-vin) does too but also creates a powerfully disinfecting solution.

I agree with cleaning the washer and upping the detergent and/or bleach and possibly trying a different detergent or different additive. Good luck
Ok. Well that's good to know.

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote