Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: starting seeds pots :)

Originally Posted by lakemom View Post
anybody have a tutorial bookmarked for making newspaper pots with a can and newspaper. I was thinking about trying to start a few things this year and have read about this in the past.
I have spent 45 mins looking for it in the favs folder. It's GONE!! I have been saving newspaper for it!!!
You shred the newspaper, place in blender, add a bit of water and flour, blend to thick slurry. Vasoline coat the molds, like cupcake pan, then smush and mold to fit. makes peat pot type pots. It was exactly what I wanted. I hate I nolonger have the exact amnts. I'll prob still do it though.

Originally Posted by jalbrecht89 View Post
I usually just buy already started plants to plant in my garden because I'm not so good with seed pots. But I'm going to try it again this year Planning on using egg cartons or yogurt containers. How do you get the "greenhouse" effect to get them to stay moist with these types of containers? Also, when do you all start your seeds and what brand/where do you buy your seeds? Whew! Lots of questions. Sorry, I just can never get mine to do well enough to transplant them and would love all of your inputs.
The best for this is foil contailers with the plastic lid. Like Chinese food and casserole ones. They are on sale at our $ store and I stocked up.

Originally Posted by leila03ash View Post
I live in central Texas. I have tried seeds many times. I can get them to germinate but they die soon after. I have lots of questions:
1. When do you start them?
2. Do you use heat lamps? If so, where did you get them? If not, what light source do you use?
3. Where do your seeds stay one you have started them? Garage? Window? Outside?
4. If they stay indoors what is your set up like? How do you let them drain with out them sitting in standing water?
5. How long do you leave them in the container before transplanting them?
6. How many seeds do you plant per container and then after thinning how many are left?

Wow a lot of questions. Sorry but I never get seeds right and I hate spending so much money on transplants. I would love pictures of your set up if you have some.

Thanks! Ash
To be truthfull, you will just have to experiment with your climate and such. I start harder to sprout seeds like peppers and toms in the house in the trays near a warm window. Then transfur out under our carport when weather permits. Also, different species need to be started at diff times. Like broc likes cold, ect. Here is the best site I have found with frost dates by zip. It also has info about every plant, even how to save seeds and store! <3!!!!!

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote