Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

First time traveling without DS -- not til May and already freaking out! Help!

I'm scheduled to travel for work for 8 days the first week of May. DS will be 2 months shy of his third birthday, and so far I have never spent a single night away from him. DH has traveled quite a bit, for as long as 7 days at a time, but when I've traveled for work up to now, he's always come with me (even overseas). This time, though, the trip is to Thailand, and it's 26 hours of travel time--not something I want to put him through.

DH is considering coming with me, as well, which would mean leaving DS with a grandparent (or all of them, ha). He loves his grandparents, but he's never stayed alone with them overnight--just during the day on rare occasion.

I'm really freaking out that he's going to have a miserable week, and that he'll think I've abandoned him, and that he'll cry the whole time. I'm also freaking out that I will be a basket case.

Please, I could use some advice for how to prepare him and myself for the trip, and how to make it a little easier.

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Re: First time traveling without DS -- not til May and already freaking out! Help!

Start some one night overnights with the grandparents now. That way it won't be such a shock. If you don't already have one, get a skype account and a webcam for the grandparents so you can talk to him while you are gone. About a month before you go, start talking to him about it in a very positive way. "You get to spend a WHOLE WEEK with your grandparents!" "We are going to get to talk over the computer!" "When it is morning for you it will be nighttime for me!" Whatever you do, don't let on how hard it is going to be for you. Have them plan some really fun outings for him while you are gone so that he can be really excited about those too.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: First time traveling without DS -- not til May and already freaking out! Help!

I would try to start doing some overnights here and there so it isn't a complete shock when you are gone for 8 days. It took dd a few times to be ok with spending the night without me, but now she begs to go all the time!
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

I agree, we need to, the problem is my MIL lives 9 hours away and would have to come to our house to do an overnight, and I'm not sure she can arrange that (she travels for work, and already is away from home every week from Sunday through Friday). So, I'm not sure how I will arrange that if DH goes with me on these overnights. If DH doesn't plan to go with me in May, I can just arrange to stay with a friend in town here and there (girl's night!) and that would be a way to get him "okay" with daddy taking care of him all night.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have fun! I would kill to go away for 8 days! I would beg MIL to come, and enjoy a quiet couple of days with DH.

You'll be fine. Kids are WAY WAY WAY more flexible than we ever give them credit for. If you empower him ahead of time with positive vibes, and have a positive outlook, he'll do great. If you have a worried outlook, he will not. My kiddos got left a couple of times when I've traveled for work, and are always fine when I get back.

Make sure grandma watches him at your house if she can. That usually works better for him to stay in his routine. My kids have stayed at my moms, and done ok, but they always do better at their own house in their own beds.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-22-2013 at 11:29 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Will Grandma be coming to your house, or is he going there? It would be much easier if she comes to you. If possible, have her come a couple days early, so there can be some transition time.