Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What configuration would be best?

I am trying to figure out how I can fit all my carseats in my car, or if it's even possible! We have a 2008 Odyssey, which has six seats in the back with the middle seat put in between the captain's chairs. I just don't know if I can get them all in! We currently have 2 dionos, one rf for our 18mo, and one ff for our 4yo. Our almost 8yo is in a backless booster, and the 6yo in a booster with a back. We are having twins in April, and I need to get two infant carseats in here, while still accessing the back. Any thoughts? I don't have the infant seats as of yet, so if some would fit better, that would be helpful to know as well The babies obviously need to be upfront... I'm at a bit of a loss! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What configuration would be best?

I would start crunching numbers to see if a new vehicle is a possibility. You're going to have a really hard time getting 6 kids in seats in, especially with boosters and infant seats involved. If you manage to get a set up that you can get everyone seated, getting in and out of the vehicle and getting everyone buckled is going to be really difficult.

Last edited by monica-m; 01-20-2013 at 10:47 PM.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's what I'm afraid of I don't see a new car in our future soon though. I knew one more would be tight, but two more... well, I wasn't expecting that!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm sorry Mama, I wish I had better way to help.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m
I would start crunching numbers to see if a new vehicle is a possibility. You're going to have a really hard time getting 6 kids in seats in, especially with boosters and infant seats involved. If you manage to get a set up that you can get everyone seated, getting in and out of the vehicle and getting everyone buckled is going to be really difficult.
I agree. Getting in and out would be a nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bai18176
I am trying to figure out how I can fit all my carseats in my car, or if it's even possible! We have a 2008 Odyssey, which has six seats in the back with the middle seat put in between the captain's chairs. I just don't know if I can get them all in! We currently have 2 dionos, one rf for our 18mo, and one ff for our 4yo. Our almost 8yo is in a backless booster, and the 6yo in a booster with a back. We are having twins in April, and I need to get two infant carseats in here, while still accessing the back. Any thoughts? I don't have the infant seats as of yet, so if some would fit better, that would be helpful to know as well The babies obviously need to be upfront... I'm at a bit of a loss! Thanks!
First of all, congrats! Double blessings (albeit stressful right now I'm sure ).

I'd be seriously searching any possibility of moving to a 10 passenger van. For ease.

If thats absolutely out, other ideas....
1. bubble bum for the backless. It's tiny.
2. RSTV for a forward facing kid. It will remove the actual 'seat' and free up room.

So back row, in some order... 8yo in a bubble bum, 6yo bubble bum or narrow high back booster, 4yo in the RSTV.
Middle row, rf radian in the center (if allowed, don't know the specs on the plus-1 seats) and infant seats outboard, baseless if needed but I'd think you'd be fine. You could reach the 4yo in the back easily this way. Then just snap in infant seats.

ETA: link to bubble bum..
http://www.bubblebum.co/us/

And RSTV...
http://safetrafficsystem.com/ver4/?page_id=74

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***

Last edited by mommabritt; 01-25-2013 at 12:51 PM.
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
First of all, congrats! Double blessings (albeit stressful right now I'm sure ).

I'd be seriously searching any possibility of moving to a 10 passenger van. For ease.

If thats absolutely out, other ideas....
1. bubble bum for the backless. It's tiny.
2. RSTV for a forward facing kid. It will remove the actual 'seat' and free up room.

So back row, in some order... 8yo in a bubble bum, 6yo bubble bum or narrow high back booster, 4yo in the RSTV.
Middle row, rf radian in the center (if allowed, don't know the specs on the plus-1 seats) and infant seats outboard, baseless if needed but I'd think you'd be fine. You could reach the 4yo in the back easily this way. Then just snap in infant seats.

ETA: link to bubble bum..
http://www.bubblebum.co/us/

And RSTV...
http://safetrafficsystem.com/ver4/?page_id=74
Thanks for the additional options! We will eventually get a larger van, but it's not happening right now or before babies are born. Those are both options I've never heard of. I wonder if I can keep the 4 yo in her radian in the back with two smaller boosters. I guess I will have to play around with it (as much fun as it is moving those radians around, haha!). I think the seats would still slide with the infant bases, so it depends on that middle seat... it's pretty narrow and isn't the one that moves like the new version.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Bubble Bum and RSTV are great as travel options but they're not all that comfortable for every day use. The Bubble Bum is shallow and does not give the rider much leg support at all. The belt guides can be tough for kids to work with to buckle themselves. The RSTV has a learning curve to it and it can be time consuming to get on and off which is why I didn't suggest them in the first place. They're just not very practical for every day use.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m
The Bubble Bum and RSTV are great as travel options but they're not all that comfortable for every day use. The Bubble Bum is shallow and does not give the rider much leg support at all. The belt guides can be tough for kids to work with to buckle themselves. The RSTV has a learning curve to it and it can be time consuming to get on and off which is why I didn't suggest them in the first place. They're just not very practical for every day use.
I knew this and was hesitant to mention them because they can be cumbersome but they are valid options and since she doesn't have the means for another vehicle right now, they would fit the need. I could definitely train my older two to use a bubble bum correctly.

OP, will you have to to be out and about will all the children frequently? I know I try to do my running around on the weekend when I can take one or two kiddos only. Of course, we still have the school runs two or four times depending on the day, but I don't have to unload them all and that helps.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The rsvt looks a bit cumbersome, so I think I will try to get the 4 yo carseat back there, but the others look a bit more doable. We have to pick up from preschool 3x a week, but the rest are homeschooled. I do try to do my errands when DH is home, but the thought of being stuck at home is not good either. I guess when I get the babies carseats I will see how they will all fit and decide how desperately we need a new vehicle! All it takes is DH having to do it a few times to know how bad it is! He won't put up with it if it's too difficult!