Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Self-initiated potty trips will be a long time coming.

So DS has been EC'd off and on since birth, and for about three months, I've taken him to the potty regularly, multiple times a day, where he will pee quickly and easily and completely, and will stay dry between times (even through naps and night and outings). He is almost 38 months.

A while back, someone recommended the "Oh Cr*p Potty Training" book to me, so I read it, hoping for some magic. The magic wasn't there, lol. That author says on her blog and in the book that self-initiation happens after about three weeks of parent-initiated potty trips. We're WELL beyond that, and since DS was doing so well a few months ago, I was hoping that he would start initiating and then be potty independent before this baby comes. Well, that ain't happening.

He's in diapers b/c I'd rather change a diaper than clean up a wet spot off of the couch cushion or the floor or whatever, but they're just as easy to pull up and down for me as undies or a pull-up.

anyway, just curious if anyone else had a kid who was just content for a year or more to have mom take him/her to the bathroom before they finally started going on their own (or at least telling mom they need to go).

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
MaterofJacob
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Self-initiated potty trips will be a long time coming.

I did the same things with DS1. ECed off and on. These last few days I just let him run around in only a shirt. The first day was lots of little "Uh-Oh"s and cleaning up but by the end of day 2 he would yell "Potty! Potty!" every time he had to go. We put the potty seat in the living room since that's where he is most of the time. The only problem were having now is wearing pants. He usually would still tell us he had to go potty but this morning he pooped himself. *sigh* So I'm thinking of just not leaving the house around the times he poops. I really don't want to do pull-ups if I can help it because I don't want him to think they are just a diaper and use them as such.

Check out my IHA/ISO: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...5#post16697295
MaterofJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Katie Mae
Registered Users
seller

Yup. I started EC (sort of, I mean I guess you could just call it early potty training) with DD at 10 months. She just barely started taking herself maybe a month ago. And it's still hit and miss. Mostly I have to tell her to go (she starts acting up and going crazy and as soon as she pees she's great again) but sometimes she'll even take herself without prompting. DS I tried to start EC early (2 weeks) and he will walk to the toilet and stand there occasionally when he has to pee. But mostly I still take him. I figure since I use cloth diapers there is no rush to switch to undies. I either wash undies or wash diapers and this way I don't have to wash the floor, couch, chairs, etc as well. I'm hoping that he will be able to take himself more around his 2nd birthday and be in undies by then, but I guess I will just see. Kids have a way of doing what they want, even when we try to guide them and train them don't they?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another six-ish weeks down the toilet (pardon the pun, lol). The only update I have is that B has developed enough skills to pull his diaper off by himself (he'd been able to take off his pants or PJs already), so now DH and I can tell him to go potty and he will. But he still doesn't recognize if he's wet or not, and forget about poop. If he's sitting on the potty and happens to need to poop at that time, he'll do it, but if he's just walking around, he doesn't care. I've also started using Reese's Pieces, and if he's dry and pees in the potty when I prompt him, then he gets one. If he's wet, then I get one and I eat it in front of him and tell him that he could have eaten it if he was dry.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Another six-ish weeks down the toilet (pardon the pun, lol). The only update I have is that B has developed enough skills to pull his diaper off by himself (he'd been able to take off his pants or PJs already), so now DH and I can tell him to go potty and he will. But he still doesn't recognize if he's wet or not, and forget about poop. If he's sitting on the potty and happens to need to poop at that time, he'll do it, but if he's just walking around, he doesn't care. I've also started using Reese's Pieces, and if he's dry and pees in the potty when I prompt him, then he gets one. If he's wet, then I get one and I eat it in front of him and tell him that he could have eaten it if he was dry.
LOL, I hope eating the reese's in front of him helps him get it! Sounds like he's being outright defiant and lazy with the poops. Have you tried keeping it low keyed around the potty when he needs to go poop? Like laughing/playing/joking with him while he's on the potty so that he's relaxed? That really helped my LO get out the poops while on the potty, but he's a lot younger than yours, so it sounds like it's a behavior thing. I saw your post on OCPT, so hopefully more peeps will be able to chime in there!
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongwoman View Post
I saw your post on OCPT, so hopefully more peeps will be able to chime in there!
Probably not, since I'm no longer doing things by that method, lol. Oh well.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96
LOL on the Reese's Pieces!

What I noticed with my dd 21 months is she doesn't mind a wet or soiled diaper. But she is positively agitated when she poops in her pants, trainers, whatever. It took about three days before she realized to tell me BEFORE hand. She's pretty good about initiating for pee, but if she pees in a trainer she wants it OFF. She was never like that with diapers.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
7mom7
Registered Users

My oldest son never cared if he was wet or dirty prior to potty training. We started at 27 months and it took nearly 2 years before he'd take the initiative and go on his own. We went straight to underwear and he had lots of accidents the first week but he'd stay dry for the most part...as long as I reminded him and helped him go potty. I posted this in another thread but with our second we waited and have put most of the responsibility on him. Yesterday we were going to the playground so I tried to make him go potty but he was adamant that he didn't need to. He stayed clean and dry the whole time we were out. Not a single accident all day yesterday. It's going much better this time around.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
WinterBaby
Registered Users
seller

I trained DS at around 3 with no particular method but including some naked time and DD at 22 months using Oh Cr*p Potty Training. It went much more smoothly with DD which I attribute to doing it earlier and to OCPT. Not sure how your experience with OCPT went but the naked time is really important with that method. I rolled up my rug for 3 weeks. Also, at some point I had to turn over the process to DD to let her take the initiative and be responsible. Jamie, the author of OCPT, says that it works best between ages 20-30 months and it can be a little different with kids who have been EC'd. I don't know your whole situation, but I think you might have to do some naked time or at least trainers before he starts to take the initiative. As kids get older behavior becomes more and more of an issue with potty training.
WinterBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I almost don't want to say anything b/c I don't want to jinx it, but just today, he told me three times that he had to go pee, and I said, "Well, go potty, then!" I helped him with his PJs since he sounded a little urgent, lol. He made it into the potty two of those three times, and into the bathroom the third time (but went in his pull-up before he could get totally undressed).

Poop is still another story, though.