Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toddler annoys baby

We have a big problem with our toddler "loving" on his sister, cuddling up to her, on top of her but then stealing toys from her and casually pulling her to the ground and pushing her, pinching her ear, hitting her on the head, etc. you get the idea. Sometimes it seems malicious but lots of times it seems like big bro just wants to play! Sister is 9months old and crawling everywhere, pulling up and walking around furniture so she's already somewhat a playmate for him. He ignores us when we say "gentle" and we show him gentle and sometimes have to yell in order for him to listen. I hate yelling! He's only just 2 yrs old. Am I expecting too much of him? He doesn't talk much at all but I know he understands a ton! I don't think it's jealousy because he seems to just do it because she's there and he wants to. How do I/we curb this behaviour or do we just wait it out? Right now we have a play pen set up in the family room called the "naughty pen" which he is put in if he doesn't obey us after he's been given direct a few times or after a particularly painful attack on his sister. It doesn't seem to faze him that he's in there though, like its not a punishment to him. We are out of ideas! Help! My day is spent as a referee!

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds about right. if anyone knows how toile it stop I'd love to know!

My ds1 is 3 and ds2 is 9 months. Every day I'm constantly refereeing. I figure its par for the course. I redirect or do time out if he's really mean. Some days are better some days are worse.

Then I think back on my childhood and it all seems very familiar. So I think it's just how it is!
menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Sounds normal. Just keep sticking with it!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I dont always mind punishment not feeling like punishment. DD thinks timeout is nice 85% of the time. Which works cause to me it's just an opportunity to collect her emotions.

If you're removing him and he's not seeing it as punishment, he is atleast going to start understanding the relationship between 'I do that and this happens'
Old 01-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toddler annoys baby

Definitely normal!

Just keep at it, reinforce good behavior, remove when needed.