Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH

I won't have a midwife, but I am planning on encapsulation, which I know will help the bleeding over the next few days. If I bleed a lot during/immediately after the birth, I'm planning on just eating raw placenta - but only if necessary! Have you done that with any of your past home births? My OB mentioned a script for Cyototec in case of PPH, but I don't know how comfortable I am with that.
I've seen PPH first hand as a doula. Its supposed to be less likely in a physiologic birth, but being prepared for the worst is what helps me relax. :-)

If I were in your shoes and my oB offered a scrip for cytotec after the delivery I'd take him up on it and save it for if I was showing signs of shock and severe blood loss. Not as a preventative, but if things got bad quickly and we were waiting for an ambulance.

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #22
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

I've seen PPH first hand as a doula. Its supposed to be less likely in a physiologic birth, but being prepared for the worst is what helps me relax. :-)

If I were in your shoes and my oB offered a scrip for cytotec after the delivery I'd take him up on it and save it for if I was showing signs of shock and severe blood loss. Not as a preventative, but if things got bad quickly and we were waiting for an ambulance.
I would definitely get the rx and have it filled and on hand. I am not a medical professional but I had a PPH after DS and it was terrifying. I will be leaving the hospital with my rx in hand (my OB and I have already talked about it). Like PP said, it should slow things down to get you to the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your home birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post

Yes, this! I had to drive 30 miles out of town in a snowstorm to go to a midwife-friendly doctor who would write me a prescription for Cytotec in case of PPH.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

links in my sig
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #25
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

this is a really old thread, but to everyone i promised to PM, i am doing so today! apologies- my entire household got the flu one by one in Dec (including me, ugh) and right after we traveled, thus-no internet use for me!

hope its not too late to be of use for some of you mamas...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #26
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepoet View Post
this is a really old thread, but to everyone i promised to PM, i am doing so today! apologies- my entire household got the flu one by one in Dec (including me, ugh) and right after we traveled, thus-no internet use for me!

hope its not too late to be of use for some of you mamas...
Thank you.