Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #31
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does your childcare/ preschool do for birthdays?

I used to work in my DD's school's preschool. Birthdays are a big deal! There were 15 or so kids in the class. If their birthday was in the summer, we celebrated half birthdays instead. We had the kids all take turns bringing in snacks, so the birthday kid brought the snack that day. Some of the parents brought pizza/ice cream, one even had it catered. The birthday kid gets to pick their job first, pick the song to dance to, we'd sing to them before snack, etc. They had a birthday crown too. I liked that each kid got to feel special for a day. It helped a few kids come out of their shell too.

Advertisement

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #32
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laura~
I used to work in my DD's school's preschool. Birthdays are a big deal! There were 15 or so kids in the class. If their birthday was in the summer, we celebrated half birthdays instead. We had the kids all take turns bringing in snacks, so the birthday kid brought the snack that day. Some of the parents brought pizza/ice cream, one even had it catered. The birthday kid gets to pick their job first, pick the song to dance to, we'd sing to them before snack, etc. They had a birthday crown too. I liked that each kid got to feel special for a day. It helped a few kids come out of their shell too.
1/2 birthdays don't work when you are born June 26th... I have never celebrated my bday at school so this thread has been interesting.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #33
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post
1/2 birthdays don't work when you are born June 26th... I have never celebrated my bday at school so this thread has been interesting.
We never skipped a kids birthday. DS1's birthday is in June, so he celebrated right after winter break, in January. Some kids had a birthday on a weekend, so we celebrated on Monday.
I remember growing up with a boy who was Jehovah's Witness, so we made him a cake for his un-birthday, the day after his actual birth date.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #34
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

I am a preschool teacher and other than letting them give out treats if they bring them (which I hate b/c of allergies, one child usually gets left out because she can't eat anything that might have nuts in it or that is prepared somewhere that has nut products- she's not allowed to eat anything that isn't prepackaged with very clear ingredients unless it comes from her home) and singing Happy Birthday we don't do anything. Instead, we have a "Star of the Week". Each child gets assigned a week where they get to be the Star and feel special They get to make a poster, lead show and tell, etc.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #35
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Dd's preschool did a paper crown and invited the parents to come in and read a story and/or do a craft with the kids if they wanted. I was so grateful they didn't encourage treats--dd has severe food allergies, so every in-class birthday cupcake is just another opportunity for her to feel left out.

Her kindy was also no treats. If parents wanted to celebrate in class, the teachers asked that the parent bring in a book to read and then donate the book to the classroom. I loved that! All kids really enjoyed seeing "their" birthday book in the class library.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #36
bees04
Registered Users

My son's preschool class is about 24 kids. It seems like it's someone's birthday every week lol.

The birthday kid is the helper of the day, and they get to wear a sticker. It is also their day to bring in snack and the class sings Happy Birthday.
bees04 is offline   Reply With Quote