Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #31
Mrsstupz
Registered Users

Re: What brand rice cereal did you start on?

We use Healthy Times. I prefer barley over rice though.

Advertisement

Mrsstupz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #32
COIrishMom
Registered Users

If I may be so bold, I'd like to suggest starting your baby on something other than rice cereal. True, it used to be the recommended food to start your baby on. But experts (La Leche League, American Academy of Pedicatrics) have noticed that babies started on cereal, especially before 6 months, are more prone to food allergies. The LLL always has recommended starting baby on an easy to digest fruit or veggie (banana, sweet potato, avocado) and then moving to meat. The AAP has changed their recommendations to more or less match those of the AAP.

Grains are some of the most difficult foods to digest, which is why more and more it is recommended that you wait until at least 1 year old before introducing grains to your baby. When you do, definitely choose gluten-free grains since gluten is so difficult to digest and causes problems for so many.

Check out KellyMom.com, a website that provides information based on research and recommendations from the La Leche League.

Hope that is helpful!
COIrishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #33
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't do any baby cereals for Noah. It offers them no nutritional benefit and it's really not that great of a "learning" food for them IMO. It just not a great first food in general for their little systems. We took a more BLW approach with Noah, did very little purees and "goopy" stuff with him and usually he ate what we ate, just prepared for him.

As far as food allergies go, I read studies recently saying their was no increase of food allergy risks if certain "high allergy" foods were started between 4-6 months of age...starting them does not increase risk of food allergies. However, if there was a family history of food allergies not to introduce the foods until 6 months or later.

Last edited by Spunkify; 01-25-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
megshmeg
Registered Users
seller
seller

We started on Barley because DD's pediatrician warned against the high levels of arsenic found in rice and rice cereal (including Gerber, Earth's Best) recently. We did some apples, pears, barley cereal.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #35
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

We used gerber with both of our boys, but with a toddler with a gluten allergy we will probably stay away from most of the cereals for a while with the youngest. Besides all they really do is thicken the food anyways, there is not a ton of nutrients in them. The only one I might use with my youngest will probably be oatmeal, but that is only if it is plain oatmeal. Otherwise I will probably get regular oat meal and grind it up really fine for the baby and use that. Of course this time around we are looking into making a lot of our baby food anyways just because it really is healthier and you can make so many different combinations of foods so that baby can get used to different tastes.
cuddlebunny_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #36
sharper75
Registered Users
seller

We skipped cereal because there is little to no nutritional value in it.
sharper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #37
AylaKay
Registered Users
seller

We use Earth's Best organic.
AylaKay is offline   Reply With Quote